Web Survey Bibliography
The rising popularity of online surveys in marketing research precipitates a flood of e-mail invitations requesting participation from potential respondents. As a result, response rates are diminishing, reflecting a decline in the willingness to participate in web surveys. To compare the effectiveness of different response-enhancing techniques in a list-based web survey, an experiment with a full factorial between-subjects design varying the factors sender, number of contacts, and questionnaire layout was set up. A total of 1,563 members from a list of information technology (IT) managers employed at Austrian companies were assigned randomly to one of eight experimental conditions. Their willingness to participate was measured in terms of total response and break off. The results indicate that using a prenotification message and a female sender for contacting male sample members increases response rates; using an advanced questionnaire layout significantly reduces break offs, but does not influence total response.
SAGE Journals Online (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Keusch, F. (13)
- The role of topic interest and topic salience in online panel web surveys.; 2012; Keusch, F.
- The Direction of Rating Scales and Its Influence on Response Behavior in Web Surveys; 2012; Keusch, F.
- Open-ended Questions in Web Surveys: One Large vs. Ten Small Boxes; 2012; Keusch, F.
- The influence of social desirability on data quality in face-to-face and web surveys; 2012; Keusch, F.
- How to Increase Response Rates in List-Based Web Survey Samples; 2012; Keusch, F.
- The influence of personality traits and motives for joining on participation behavior in online panels...; 2011; Keusch, F.
- Does the direction of Likert-type scales influence response behavior in web surveys?; 2011; Keusch, F.
- The Influence Of The Direction Of Likert-Type Scales In Web Surveys On Response Behavior In Different...; 2011; Keusch, F.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Online Access Panels: A detailed look at different Ways of Entering, their Costs and Participation Behavior...; 2010; Führer, R., Keusch, F.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Maßnahmen zur Steigerung der Responserate bei listenbasierten Stichproben in Webbefragungen; 2009; Keusch, F.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.