Web Survey Bibliography
Over the years, researchers from different disciplines have utilized a wide variety of research methods to give children a voice on issues that affect them. Particularly common are qualitative methods such as focus groups and small group discussions. Much rarer are large-scale quantitative surveys, which are a valuable way of comparing data from across different age-groups, countries and over time. Particularly lacking are surveys that give children an opportunity to voice their opinions using the technologies that play a major part in their lives such as the internet. To test the feasibility of collecting data from children
using a large-scale quantitative survey on the internet, a pilot Kids’ Life and Times (KLT) was carried out in June 2008 with a view to running the survey annually thereafter. All Primary 7 (P7) children (aged 10 and 11 years) in Northern Ireland were invited to participate in KLT and the data were collected using an animated questionnaire delivered via the internet in schools. Following consultations with P7 children in focus groups, the pilot survey included topics that were of importance to this age group such as bullying,
health and education. The paper will discuss how well this method for collecting data from children worked in practice, the quality of information received and the response rate achieved. It will also consider lessons learned for future KLT surveys and for other surveys with children using a similar methodology. The presentation will include a live demonstration of the online animated questionnaire.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2010 (406)
- Investigating Data Quality in Cell Phone Surveying; 2010; Lavrakas, P. J., Tompson, T., Benford, R.
- Beyond the Usability Lab: Conducting Large-scale Online User Experience Studies; 2010; Albert, W., Tullis, T., Tedesco, D.
- Walking in Facebook: A Case Study of Unbiased Sampling of OSNs; 2010; Gjoka, M., Kurant, M., Butts, C. T., Markopoulou, A.
- Social Networking Sites: Evaluating and Investigating their use in Academic Research; 2010; Redmond, F.
- Update on the ARF’s Quality Enhancement Process (QeP); 2010; Pettit, R.
- Quality Matters – Now And Especially Tomorrow; 2010; Dedeker, K.
- Measuring selection bias introduced by routing; 2010; Porter, S., de Gaudemar, O., Kimura, M.
- Quantifying the Impact of Survey Design Parameters on Respondent Engagement and Data Quality; 2010; Suresh, N., Conklin, M.
- Using ad hoc measures for response styles: a cautionary note; 2010; de Beuckelaer, A.; Weijters, B.; Rutten, A.
- How Harmful are Survey Translations? A Test with Schwartz's Human Values Instrument; 2010; Davidov, E., de Beuckelaer, A.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Restructuring and innovations on the survey “capacity of collective tourist accommodation”...; 2010; Santoro, M. T., Staffieri, S.
- Managing the knowledge base - the DUVA system, from data entry to output tools; 2010; Then, R., Bangert, D.
- An Analyze of the Zero Price Effect on Online Business Performance - An Research Based on the Mobile...; 2010; Liu, Y., Yuan, P.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- From clipboards to online research communities; 2010; Poynter, R., Cierpicki, S., Lorch, J., Zuo, B., Davis, C., Eddy, C.
- 3 screen measurement: Soccer World Cup 2010; 2010; Conry, S., Benezra, K., Singh, S.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Power, sample size, and optimal designs in social research; 2010; Moerbeek, M., van Breukelen, G. J. P.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Modeling non-sampling errors and participation in Web surveys; 2010; Biffignandi, S.
- Perspectives on Web Survey Development: Views from Programmers, Content Specialists, and Survey Methodologists...; 2010; Downey, K.
- Using a Mixed-Mode Design to Survey Ethnic Minorities?; 2010; Feskens, R., Kappelhof, J.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Recent Findings on Using Rich Media in Online Surveys; 2010; Malinoff, B., Henning, J.
- Digital, Social Moms: Using Social Media to Increase Respondent Engagement and Decrease Recruiting Costs...; 2010; Stemberg, C., Rimmer, L., Weinstein, D.
- From Buzz to Biz: Social Media Research for Results; 2010; Pettit, F. A.
- Archiving and Re-using Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Data in Slovenia; 2010; Stebe, J., Hudales, J., Kragelj, B.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Methodological and Ethical Dilemmas of Archiving Qualitative Data; 2010; Kuula, A.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- How is Emerging Technology/Web 2.0 Changing Gathering Consumer Feedback and the Delivery of Data? ; 2010; Price, K., Patel, N.
- Sexy Questions, Dangerous Results? - Exploring the Impact of Rich Media Question Formats in Online Survey...; 2010; Malinoff, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- State of Technology in Market Research ; 2010; Coates, D.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Factorial Design on Survey Router Configuration Effect by Sample Source; 2010; Fawson, B., Johnson, E. P.
- Use of Faces in Surveys; 2010; Burdein, I.
- Participant Satisfaction and Panel Member Retention; 2010; Portner, A.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Sample Blending; 2010; Lorch, J., Cavallaro, K., van Ossenbruggen, R.
- Looking Beyond Quality Differences: How Do Consumer Buying Patterns Differ by Sample Source?; 2010; Baker-Prewitt, J.
- Predicting the Future with Social Media ; 2010; Asur, S., Huberman, B. A.
- From Tweets to Polls: Linking Text Sentiment to Public Opinion Time Series; 2010; O’Connor, B., Balasubramanyan, R,, Routledgex, B. R., Smith, N. A.
- News Platform Preference: Advancing the Effects of Age and Media Consumption on Political Participation...; 2010; Bachmann, I., Kaufhold, K., Lewis, S. C., de Zuniga, H. G.
- ReCal: Intercoder Reliability Calculation as a Web Service ; 2010; Freelon, D. G.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.