Web Survey Bibliography
In 2008, Knowledge Networks expanded KnowledgePanel to create KnowledgePanel Latino, the first nationally representative online sample of Latinos in the U.S. We have observed that the Spanishlanguage panelists take more time to self-administer their Spanish-language online questionnaires than those taking the English version – both Latinos and non-Latinos range 50% to 100% longer. For example, in our 2009 demographic profile survey, median completion length is 8 minutes among roughly 40,000
English-language panelists, while 21 minutes among roughly 2,000 Spanish-language panelists. This pattern holds for different survey topics and has practical implications for respondent burden, respondent incentives and costs.
To our knowledge, this is a new finding, as there are no published research findings on these differences in online surveys.
We will evaluate several possible explanations for this finding: longer Spanish questionnaires in terms of word count; skip patterns, respondent demographics (e.g., education, age, household size), cultural differences, panel tenure, Internet connection speed, and survey-taking behavior. We employ regression to estimate the effects of survey language, demographics, panel tenure, and type of Internet connection on survey completion time.
Our regression results show that education, age, and broadband internet connection have large effects and significantly reduce survey completion time. However, once several factors have been controlled, Spanish-language survey takers still take, on average, 7 minutes longer than their English-language counterparts to complete the main demographic profile survey. Spanish survey language still remains a strong predictor of administration length, which may speak to cultural differences and survey taking behaviors, which we will further investigate in this paper.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2010 (406)
- Investigating Data Quality in Cell Phone Surveying; 2010; Lavrakas, P. J., Tompson, T., Benford, R.
- Beyond the Usability Lab: Conducting Large-scale Online User Experience Studies; 2010; Albert, W., Tullis, T., Tedesco, D.
- Walking in Facebook: A Case Study of Unbiased Sampling of OSNs; 2010; Gjoka, M., Kurant, M., Butts, C. T., Markopoulou, A.
- Social Networking Sites: Evaluating and Investigating their use in Academic Research; 2010; Redmond, F.
- Update on the ARF’s Quality Enhancement Process (QeP); 2010; Pettit, R.
- Quality Matters – Now And Especially Tomorrow; 2010; Dedeker, K.
- Measuring selection bias introduced by routing; 2010; Porter, S., de Gaudemar, O., Kimura, M.
- Quantifying the Impact of Survey Design Parameters on Respondent Engagement and Data Quality; 2010; Suresh, N., Conklin, M.
- Using ad hoc measures for response styles: a cautionary note; 2010; de Beuckelaer, A.; Weijters, B.; Rutten, A.
- How Harmful are Survey Translations? A Test with Schwartz's Human Values Instrument; 2010; Davidov, E., de Beuckelaer, A.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Restructuring and innovations on the survey “capacity of collective tourist accommodation”...; 2010; Santoro, M. T., Staffieri, S.
- Managing the knowledge base - the DUVA system, from data entry to output tools; 2010; Then, R., Bangert, D.
- An Analyze of the Zero Price Effect on Online Business Performance - An Research Based on the Mobile...; 2010; Liu, Y., Yuan, P.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- From clipboards to online research communities; 2010; Poynter, R., Cierpicki, S., Lorch, J., Zuo, B., Davis, C., Eddy, C.
- 3 screen measurement: Soccer World Cup 2010; 2010; Conry, S., Benezra, K., Singh, S.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Power, sample size, and optimal designs in social research; 2010; Moerbeek, M., van Breukelen, G. J. P.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Modeling non-sampling errors and participation in Web surveys; 2010; Biffignandi, S.
- Perspectives on Web Survey Development: Views from Programmers, Content Specialists, and Survey Methodologists...; 2010; Downey, K.
- Using a Mixed-Mode Design to Survey Ethnic Minorities?; 2010; Feskens, R., Kappelhof, J.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Recent Findings on Using Rich Media in Online Surveys; 2010; Malinoff, B., Henning, J.
- Digital, Social Moms: Using Social Media to Increase Respondent Engagement and Decrease Recruiting Costs...; 2010; Stemberg, C., Rimmer, L., Weinstein, D.
- From Buzz to Biz: Social Media Research for Results; 2010; Pettit, F. A.
- Archiving and Re-using Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Data in Slovenia; 2010; Stebe, J., Hudales, J., Kragelj, B.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Methodological and Ethical Dilemmas of Archiving Qualitative Data; 2010; Kuula, A.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- How is Emerging Technology/Web 2.0 Changing Gathering Consumer Feedback and the Delivery of Data? ; 2010; Price, K., Patel, N.
- Sexy Questions, Dangerous Results? - Exploring the Impact of Rich Media Question Formats in Online Survey...; 2010; Malinoff, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- State of Technology in Market Research ; 2010; Coates, D.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Factorial Design on Survey Router Configuration Effect by Sample Source; 2010; Fawson, B., Johnson, E. P.
- Use of Faces in Surveys; 2010; Burdein, I.
- Participant Satisfaction and Panel Member Retention; 2010; Portner, A.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Sample Blending; 2010; Lorch, J., Cavallaro, K., van Ossenbruggen, R.
- Looking Beyond Quality Differences: How Do Consumer Buying Patterns Differ by Sample Source?; 2010; Baker-Prewitt, J.
- Predicting the Future with Social Media ; 2010; Asur, S., Huberman, B. A.
- From Tweets to Polls: Linking Text Sentiment to Public Opinion Time Series; 2010; O’Connor, B., Balasubramanyan, R,, Routledgex, B. R., Smith, N. A.
- News Platform Preference: Advancing the Effects of Age and Media Consumption on Political Participation...; 2010; Bachmann, I., Kaufhold, K., Lewis, S. C., de Zuniga, H. G.
- ReCal: Intercoder Reliability Calculation as a Web Service ; 2010; Freelon, D. G.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.