Web Survey Bibliography
With the introduction of the Internet as a new data collection mode, traditional survey methodology is challenged fundamentally. The increasing popularity of web surveys created a demand for appropriate web survey methodology, thereby triggering a heated debate about the quality and reliability of web surveys for scientific use. The most obvious potential drawback of web surveys is that they may not be 114 representative of the population of interest because the sub-population with Internet access is quite specific.
In this context, propensity score adjustment (PSA) has been proposed to statistically surmount inherent problems, particularly in non-probability-based web surveys. In this procedure, a parallel probabilitybased reference survey is used to estimate the propensities of being in the web sample based on a vector of covariates (socio-demographic and ‘webographic’ (lifestyle) variables) measured in both samples. It is critical for the method to choose appropriate covariates. In the scientific community, however, this method has not been applied traditionally in the field of surveys. There has been a minimal amount of evidence for its applicability. The implications particularly for survey methodology still need to be studied more extensively.
Against this background, the paper will explore the efficiency of PSA in adjusting biases arising from nonrandomized sample selection. For that purpose, the un-weighted and weighted results from the Dutch volunteer web sample of the WageIndicator Survey 2009 will be compared with data from the Dutch LISS Panel that have been collected parallel. The advantage of this reference survey is that it provides a proper probability sample stemming from the same resource (e.g. the same questionnaire). Survey mode effects can be excluded as both questionnaires are completed individually on the computer. Finally, the application will also examine the sensitivity of the results, particularly with regard to changes in the specification of the propensity score.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2010 (396)
- How Harmful are Survey Translations? A Test with Schwartz's Human Values Instrument; 2010; Davidov, E., de Beuckelaer, A.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Restructuring and innovations on the survey “capacity of collective tourist accommodation”...; 2010; Santoro, M. T., Staffieri, S.
- Managing the knowledge base - the DUVA system, from data entry to output tools; 2010; Then, R., Bangert, D.
- An Analyze of the Zero Price Effect on Online Business Performance - An Research Based on the Mobile...; 2010; Liu, Y., Yuan, P.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- From clipboards to online research communities; 2010; Poynter, R., Cierpicki, S., Lorch, J., Zuo, B., Davis, C., Eddy, C.
- 3 screen measurement: Soccer World Cup 2010; 2010; Conry, S., Benezra, K., Singh, S.
- Can biomarkers be collected in an Internet survey? A pilot study in the LISS panel; 2010; Avendano, M., Mackenbach, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Dealing with Nonresponse in Survey Sampling: an Item Response Modeling Approach; 2010; Matei, A.
- Power, sample size, and optimal designs in social research; 2010; Moerbeek, M., van Breukelen, G. J. P.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Modeling non-sampling errors and participation in Web surveys; 2010; Biffignandi, S.
- Perspectives on Web Survey Development: Views from Programmers, Content Specialists, and Survey Methodologists...; 2010; Downey, K.
- Using a Mixed-Mode Design to Survey Ethnic Minorities?; 2010; Feskens, R., Kappelhof, J.
- Blogosphere and Democracy in Portugal–Results of a Websurvey; 2010; Carvalho, T., Casanova, J. L.
- Recent Findings on Using Rich Media in Online Surveys; 2010; Malinoff, B., Henning, J.
- Digital, Social Moms: Using Social Media to Increase Respondent Engagement and Decrease Recruiting Costs...; 2010; Stemberg, C., Rimmer, L., Weinstein, D.
- From Buzz to Biz: Social Media Research for Results; 2010; Pettit, F. A.
- Archiving and Re-using Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Data in Slovenia; 2010; Stebe, J., Hudales, J., Kragelj, B.
- Establishing a Qualitative Data Archive in Austria; 2010; Smioski, A.
- Methodological and Ethical Dilemmas of Archiving Qualitative Data; 2010; Kuula, A.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- How is Emerging Technology/Web 2.0 Changing Gathering Consumer Feedback and the Delivery of Data? ; 2010; Price, K., Patel, N.
- Sexy Questions, Dangerous Results? - Exploring the Impact of Rich Media Question Formats in Online Survey...; 2010; Malinoff, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- State of Technology in Market Research ; 2010; Coates, D.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Factorial Design on Survey Router Configuration Effect by Sample Source; 2010; Fawson, B., Johnson, E. P.
- Use of Faces in Surveys; 2010; Burdein, I.
- Participant Satisfaction and Panel Member Retention; 2010; Portner, A.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Sample Blending; 2010; Lorch, J., Cavallaro, K., van Ossenbruggen, R.
- Looking Beyond Quality Differences: How Do Consumer Buying Patterns Differ by Sample Source?; 2010; Baker-Prewitt, J.
- Predicting the Future with Social Media ; 2010; Asur, S., Huberman, B. A.
- From Tweets to Polls: Linking Text Sentiment to Public Opinion Time Series; 2010; O’Connor, B., Balasubramanyan, R,, Routledgex, B. R., Smith, N. A.
- News Platform Preference: Advancing the Effects of Age and Media Consumption on Political Participation...; 2010; Bachmann, I., Kaufhold, K., Lewis, S. C., de Zuniga, H. G.
- ReCal: Intercoder Reliability Calculation as a Web Service ; 2010; Freelon, D. G.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.
- Recruiting Online Panel Members from a Mail survey in the General Population: Results from an Exploratory...; 2010; Reuband, K.H.
- Operational Aspects of Recruiting High Internet Users via a CATI Screening on an RDD Frame; 2010; Batra, P.
- Uses of YouTube, and Other Web 2.0 Applications, in Data Collection; 2010; Franklin, J.
- Towards Usage of Web 2.0 Technology and Avatars for Web Surveys; 2010; Malakhoff, L.
- Technical Challenges in the Development and Implementation of QUEST (CARI Monitoring System); 2010; Sattaluri, S., Spain, C., Nguyen, M., Thissen, R.
- Off-the-shelf Web Software: Qualtrics; 2010; Warren, N.
- Web Based Paper Form Verification Using QueXF; 2010; Zammit, A.
- Cell Connectivity Options for Field Interviewing ; 2010; Nofziger, J., Griggs, C.
- E-mail Experiments in Web Surveys; 2010; Hupp, A., Murray-Close, M.