Web Survey Bibliography
Declining response rates in both cross-sectional surveys as well as panel surveys are of great concern to survey researchers (Groves & Peytcheva, 2008). One increasingly common method of increasing response rates is to switch the mode of administration in order to recruit nonrespondents (de Leeuw, 2005). Most often, these sequential mixed-mode designs use a relatively inexpensive mode for the initial contact attempts, then switch the mode at follow-up to a more expensive mode. While the use of
sequential designs and their impacts on response rates are well-documented in cross-sectional surveys, we know little about their utility with respect to response rates and cost in panel surveys. The Relationship Dynamics and Social Life (RDSL) study is a panel survey that uses a design that initiates each wave in web and follows up nonrespondents in CATI at each wave. Web response rates tend to be lower than CATI response rates (Dillman et al., 2008), although the costs of CATI tend to be far greater than web
(Couper, 2005). Thus, RDSL aims to balance cost and response rate concerns by only using CATI for the more difficult respondents. But panel respondents may be exposed to this sequential design, altering future behavior. This study will examine the impact of RDSL’s sequential design on longitudinal response rates across modes, changes in the mode of completion, and changes in cost.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - The American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR) 65th Annual Conference, 2010 (63)
- Function follows form: Effects of response format on self-reported individuals and household disability...; 2010; Falcone, A. E., Thomas, R. K.
- Offering a Web Option in a Mail Survey of Young Adults: Impact on Survey Quality; 2010; Turner, S., Viera Jr., L., Marsh, S. M.
- Investigating Data Quality in Cell Phone Surveying; 2010; Lavrakas, P. J., Tompson, T., Benford, R.
- The Role of Landline and Cell Phone Usage Patterns in Nonreponse Error Potential Among Young Adults...; 2010; Currivan, D. B., Levine, B., Mayo, N.
- Differences in Early and Late Responders: Findings from a Military Web-Based Community Survey.; 2010; Prabhakaran, J., Spera, C., Leach, L. M., Foster, R.
- Assessing Cell Phone Noncoverage Bias Across Different Topics and Subgroups; 2010; Christian, L. M., Keeter, S., Purcell, K., Smith, A.
- Using a Simulation Study to Examine Strategies for Combining Cell and Landline Survey Samples; 2010; Duffy, T., Bausch, S., Iachan, R., Lu, B.
- An Examination of Panel Conditioning in an Advertising Tracking Study with Cross-Sectional Design; 2010; Anderson, A. J., Marsh, K. A., Turner, S., Marsh, S. M.
- The Unusual Suspects for Survey Non-response: A Follow-up Study with Respondents and Non- Respondents...; 2010; Lai, J. W., Bell, S., Walker, M., Link, M. W., Narciso, L., Jin, T.
- Representing Seniors in an Online National Probability Panel Survey: Measuring Technology Attitudes...; 2010; Peugh, J., Mansfield, W., Wells, T., Semans, K.
- Communicating Disclosure Risk in Informed Consent Statements; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Meeting the Challenges of Converting a Large Establishment Survey from Paper to Electronic Administration...; 2010; Roe, D. J., Thalji, L., Loft, J., Flicker, L., Stockdale, J., Stagnitti, M.
- Assessing the Accuracy of the Face-to-Face Recruited Internet Survey Platform: A Comparison of Behavioral...; 2010; Villar, A., Malka, A., Krosnick, J. A.
- Internet Panels and Health Research: Findings from National RDD Surveys.; 2010; Boyle, J.
- Item Nonresponse Analysis for a Mixed-Mode Survey.; 2010; Lorenc, B., Olsson, K.
- Significant Factors Governing the Use of Auditory Stimuli in Web Questionnaires; 2010; Utami, S. S., Dawood, R., Navvab, M.
- The Subject Lines of Web Survey Invitations and Participation Rates; 2010; Titiz, H., Ziniel, S.
- When to Email or Not?: Determining the Best Day of the Week to Send Evites For Participation in a Web...; 2010; Epps, S. R., Hall, L., Hunter, J. A.Hall, L. M.
- Experimental Trial of Benefit Appeals on Completion Rates for the Agricultural Screening Survey; 2010; Atkinson, D., Moore, D., McCarthy, J. S.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Developing Robust Questions for Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Using Overt and Covert Survey Traps to Maximize Data Quality; 2010; Cardador, J., Wayman, M., Sheridan, M.
- Professional Web Respondents and Data Quality; 2010; Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Zhang, C.
- Does Making The Survey Topic More Salient Lead To An Expert Bias? – The Influence of Announcing...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Weilbuchner, N., Jungreithmaier, S.
- Time Related Inconsistencies in Global Online Panels; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Study of Non-Probability Sample Internet Surveys' Estimates of Consumer Product Usage and Demographic...; 2010; Yeager, D. S., Carter, A., Tewoldemedhin, H., Krosnick, J. A.
- Nonresponse Bias and the Impact of Incentives in a Survey of Physician Members of a Professional Organization...; 2010; Buttermore, N. R.
- Economic or Social Exchange: Examining the Effects of Different Incentive Amounts in a Panel Study; 2010; Boulianne, S. J.
- The Effectiveness of an Interactive Web Survey in Decreasing Satisficing and Social Desirability Bias...; 2010; Walejko, G. K.
- Response Behaviors in Self-Administered Multiple Questionnaire Surveys; 2010; Lacey, J. N., Ramirez, C. M.
- Experimental Tests on Response Rates in Student Web Surveys: What Works and What Doesn’t; 2010; Bloom, J. D.
- Web Surveys when Databases have Incomplete Email Records: The Impact of Modifying the Method of Respondent...; 2010; Elasmar, M. G.
- An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers; 2010; Jacob, R., Scott, L., Rowan, B.
- Web Questionnaire Usage in an Establishment Survey; 2010; Harris, S. J., Biemer, P. P., Penne, M. A.
- Visual vs. Aural Surveys: Examining the Similarities and Differences Between Survey Modes; 2010; Stapleton, C.
- Emulating Interviewers in an Online Survey: Experimental Manipulation of ‘Do-Not-Know’ Over...; 2010; Hox, J.
- The Effectiveness of Multiple Modes Among Young Adults; 2010; Anderson-Knott, M., Jorgensen, S., Armitage, J.
- Mode Effect Analysis: Paper respondents vs. Web respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2010; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- Long-Term Efficacy of Sequential Mixed-Mode Designs on Response Rates and Cost in a Panel Survey; 2010; Levenstein, R. M., Barber, J. S., Gatny, H. H.
- Probability of Selecting Response Mode Between Paper- and Web-Based Options: Logistic Model Based on...; 2010; Murray, M.
- Impact of Monetary Incentives and Web Survey Option in the 2008 National Survey of Recent College Graduates...; 2010; Heaviside, S., Jang, D., Mooney, G., Barrett, K., Kang, K. H.
- Response Mode and Bias Analysis in the IRS' Individual Taxpayer Burden Survey; 2010; Masken, K., Contos, G., Nord, R., Brick, J. M.
- Diversity of Methods: Assessment of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Multiplier Effects.; 2010; Ballou, J., Roff, B., Anderson, M.
- Potentials and Constraints of Propensity Score Weighting to Improve Web Survey Quality; 2010; Steinmetz, S., Tijdens, K.
- Differences in Length of Survey Administration between Spanish-Language and English- Language Survey...; 2010; Wells, T., Vidalon, M., DiSogra, C.
- Completing Web Surveys on Smart Phones; 2010; Dayton, J. J., Freedner, N., Hannah, K.
- Early Stage Scoping: Building High Quality Survey Instruments Without High Costs; 2010; Stettler, K., Featherston, F.
- Effects of Personalization, Length and Choice of Mode on Cooperation Rates for Mixed Mode Recontact...; 2010; Steiger, D. M., Chattopadhyay, M., Royal, D.
- A Comparison of Web and Mail Survey Respondents Within a Mixed Mode National Survey; 2010; Shin, E., Johnson, T. P., Rao, K.
- Tracing Young Adults for a Telephone/Web Survey; 2010; Phillips, B. T.
- Does Providing a Choice of Survey Modes Influence Response?; 2010; Lesser, V. M., Newton, L., Yang, D.