Web Survey Bibliography
In order to address concerns that changes in future collection modes could impact the consistency of Teacher Followup Survey (TFS) estimates over time, the authors conducted a mode effect analysis on the 2004-05 administration. Although predominately a paper collection, the 2004-05 sampling design incorporated a small web-collection component. Using the experiment data for secondary analysis, the authors tested the 2004-05 TFS estimates for the possibility of mode effects. The more recent 2008-09
TFS data collection used paper surveys mainly to convert nonrespondents and for a small group of teacher who did not provide an e-mail address and were not sent the web survey. This study aims at exploring potential differences in teachers’ responses between those who used the web questionnaire and those who opted for the paper questionnaire. The authors tested mode effects using six survey questions with different characteristics and levels of complexity. Selected questions with multiple items and multiple rating categories were transformed to be analyzed as estimated measures of differentiation.
A two-stage Heckman-type instrumental variable (IV) regression model was used for these analyses. The first stage models whether teachers with certain characteristics were more prone to choose the web instrument than the paper instrument. The second stage of the model determines whether having used the web or paper instrument affected the quality of the survey responses, using the IV web-choice estimated from stage one. Regression results indicate that using the web-based instrument does not lead to lower quality or different survey responses compared to paper-based responses. As a result of the findings that support the initial hypothesis that no mode effects are observed on the 2004-05 TFS, the authors conclude that changes to data collection methodologies in the recently collected web-based 2008-09 TFS are unlikely to create long-term inconsistency issues.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Education (146)
- On the Use of Latent Variable Models to Detect Differences in the Interpretation of Vague Quantifiers...; 2013; Griffin, J.
- Using interactive feedback to enhance response quality in Web surveys. The case of open-ended questions...; 2013; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Reducing Response Order Effects in Check-All-That-Apply Questions by Use of Dynamic Tooltip Instructions...; 2013; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Ethics, privacy and data security in web-based course evaluation; 2013; Salaschek, M., Meese, C., Thielsch, M.
- Speed (necessarily) doesn’t kill: A new way to detect survey satisficing; 2012; Garland, P. et al.
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Boosting Web pick-up Rates by referring to Compliance Principles ; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Haraldsen, G., Sundvoll, A.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Prenotification, Incentives, and Survey Modality: An Experimental Test of Methods to Increase Survey...; 2012; Tepper, J. R., Jacob, B.
- Does survey experience affect respondents’ reported level of satisfaction?; 2012; Schultz Christensen, A., Ladenburg, J.
- Nonresponse and Online Student Evaluations of Teaching: Understanding the Inﬂuence of Salience...; 2012; Adams, M. J. D., Umbach, P. D.
- What are the Odds? Lotteries versus Cash Incentives. Response Rates, Cost and Data Quality for a Web...; 2012; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Klein, L., Cyffka, K., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Exploring the impact of animation-based questionnaire on conducting a web-based educational survey and...; 2012; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Effects of number of response options in web surveys: The role of verbal labels; 2012; Thorsdottir, F., Fuchs, M., Jonsdottir, J.
- Asking Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: An Experimental Comparison of the Randomized Response...; 2012; Diekmann, A., Hoeglinger, M., Jann, B.
- Use of incentives and web-based administration for surveying student alcohol and substance use in an...; 2012; Onoye, J. M., Goebert, D., Nishimura, S.
- Toward wiser public judgment; 2011; Yankelovich, D., Friedman, W.
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- A course is a course is a course: Factor invariance in student evaluation of online, blended and face...; 2011; Dziuban, C. D., Moskal, P.
- A National Profile of Teacher Education Faculty: The Construction of an Online Survey; 2011; Graber, K. C., Erwin, H., Woods, A. M., Rhoades, J., Zhu, W.
- How do Respondents Perceive a Questionnaire? The Contribution of Open-ended Questions; 2011; Markou, E., Garnier, B.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Examining Response Rates and Patterns in a Multimode Experiment: A Study of Department Chairs/Heads...; 2011; Foster, K. N., Gaughan, M.
- Exploring Visual Design Effects In Web Survey Questions. An Experimental Study Using Animated Answer...; 2011; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Display Matters: A Test of Visual Display Options in a Web-Based Survey.; 2011; Romano Bergstrom, J. C., Chen, J. M., Gilbert, T. R., Jans, M.
- Minimizing Item Nonresponse in a School-based Web Survey of High School Students.; 2011; Burns, L., Dever, J.
- Which Technologies Do Respondents Use in Online Surveys – An International Comparison?; 2011; Kaczmirek, L., Behr, D., Bandilla, W.
- Mode Effect Analysis - Paper Respondents vs. Web Respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2011; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- An experiment to test the feasibility and quality of a web-based questionnaire of teachers; 2011; Tepper, J. R.
- Sponsor Prominence and Responses Patterns to an Online Survey; 2011; Boulianne, J. S., Klofstad, C. A., Basson, D.Boulianne, S. J.
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Web Surveys when Databases have Incomplete Email Records: The Impact of Modifying the Method of Respondent...; 2010; Elasmar, M. G.
- An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers; 2010; Jacob, R., Scott, L., Rowan, B.
- Mode Effect Analysis: Paper respondents vs. Web respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2010; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- L’uso di Internet nella ricerca sociale: vantaggi e svantaggi di una web survey; 2010; Pandolfini, V.
- The impact of incentives and interview methods on response quantity and quality in diary- and booklet...; 2010; Bonke, J., Fallesen, P.
- Color red in web-based knowledge testing; 2010; Gnambs, T., , Batinic, B.Appel, M.
- Exploring the feasibility of an online contextualised animation-based questionnaire for educational...; 2010; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Does Visual Appeal Matter? Effects of Web Survey Aesthetics on Survey Quality; 2010; Mahon-Haft, T., Dillman, D. A.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Web-based versus paper-based data collection for the evaluation of teaching activity: empirical evidence...; 2010; Lalla, M., Ferrari, D.
- Response format effects on measurement of employment; 2009; Thomas, R. K., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- College Experiences Survey: Methodological Summary. Final Report; 2009; DesRoches, D., Hall, J. W., Santos, B.
- Exploration of secondary students’ creativity by integrating web-based technology into an innovative...; 2009; Jang, S.- J.
- An experiment on the effects of non-response reweighting on estimators' precision in a web survey; 2009; Fabrizi, E., Biffignandi, S., Toninelli, D.
- A recipe for effective participation rates for web-based surveys ; 2009; Bennett, L.; Nair, C. S.
- Informal Learning in Virtual Communities. Individual Practice between Information Retrieval, Observation...; 2009; Kahnwald, N.
- Engaging faculty through collection development utilizing online survey tools ; 2009; Jensen, K.