Web Survey Bibliography
Over the last decade, there has been an increasing popularity in using Web surveys to study various populations. In particular, high usage of the Web among college students lends itself as a cost-effective data collection strategy for this population (Carini, Hayek, Kuh, Kennedy, & Ouimet, 2003). As a result, researchers have focused on whether web surveys deliver comparable data to paper surveys, finding that differences in data quality are usually minimal (Carini et al., 2003), though concerns about data security and nonresponse bias remain (Smith 1997). Still, given using Web surveys as the main mode of a data collection is relatively new, many important questions related to when and how often to contact
respondents to ensure high response rates remain unanswered. For example, should email invitations (evites) be sent on a particular day of the week; which day yields the highest same-day response? These questions form the basis of the proposed study.
Specifically, we will use data from 5 completed mix-mode data collection efforts of college students (Web-Telephone-In-person follow-up) to examine the “best” day to contact respondents (through evites) to obtain completed surveys. Across these 5 studies (with ~1668 Web completes), we will evaluate the following:
1. Sending evites to respondents on which day of the week will yield the greatest number of same-day responses?
2. Sending evites on which day of the week will result in the smallest average number of days between evites and survey completion?
3. Sending evites on which day of the week will result in completed surveys with higher data quality?
Initial results indicate that compared to later in the week , contacting students earlier in the week (Monday and Wednesday) results in a greater number of completed surveys, a shorter time to completion, and that there is no discernable effect on data quality.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Mixed mode surveys (849)
- Are Multiple Modes Helpful? Balancing Reduction of Nonresponse and Sampling Error against Mode Effects...; 2012; Phillips, B. T., Harrison, C., Turakhia, C.
- Using SMS Text Messaging To Collect Time Use Data; 2012; Brenner, P., DeLamater, J.
- Update Your Status Lately? – Then Why Not Respond to Our Survey!; 2012; Borie-Holtz, D.
- Effects of Technical Difficulties on Item Nonresponse and Response Favorability in a Mixed-Mode Survey...; 2012; Gibson, J. L.
- Using Technology to Enhance the Quality of In-Depth Interview Data Collected by Telephone: A Study of...; 2012; Mulcahy, T. M., Nguyen, K., Brownstein, H., Johannes, F.-H.
- Using Mixed-Mode Contacts to Facilitate Participation in Public Agency Client Surveys; 2012; Israel, G. D.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Sample Management System for a Mixed Mode (Paper/Web) Survey; 2012; Ullman, E., Peng, H., Helppie McFall, B.
- Making a Match: Exploring the Impact of Mode Preference on Measurement; 2012; Kasabian, A., Olson, K., Smyth, J.
- Question or Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode surveys: A Cross-cultural study in the Netherlands, Germany,...; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D., Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hox, J.
- Recruitment and Retention in Multi-Mode Survey Panels; 2012; McCutcheon, A. L., Rao, K., Kaminska, O.
- The Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey 2011; 2012; Macer, T.,
- The Effect of Mixed Mode Designs on Nonresponse Bias; 2012; Wells, B. M., Olson, K.
- Best Approaches to Mode Order and Non-response Prompting in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2012; Newsome, J., Levin, K., Schafer, B., Vigil, M., Liu, W.
- Intensifying the Request: Results from an Experiment on Improving Internet Response Rates for Address...; 2012; Messer, B. L., Dillman, D. A.
- The Impact of a Reminder Postcard in a Multi-node Survey of Rental Units; 2012; Dion, S., Muir, K., ZuWallack, R. S., Hall, L. M.
- Survey Mode Preference among Enrollees in the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2012; Yu, S., Brackbill, R., Walker, D., Turner, L., Farfel, M., Stellman, S., Miller, S., Li, J.
- The Effects of Survey Design Features on Answers to Sensitive Questions; 2012; Witt, L.
- The Challenge of Going National: An Experimental Evaluation of the Effects of Local vs. Distant Survey...; 2012; Edwards, M. L., Dillman, D. A.
- Mixed-mode design and Mode Effect in Surveying Military Veterans; 2012; Wang, W., Morin, R., Parker, K.
- Assessing Measurement Equivalence and Bias of Questions in Mixed-mode Surveys Under Controlled Sample...; 2012; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Disentangling Mode and Nonresponse Effects in the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2012; Murphy, J., Brackbill, R., Yu, S., Wu, D., Walker, D., Turner, L., Stellman, S., Miller, S., Saleska...
- Mode Effects Measurement and Correction: A Case Study; 2012; Kennedy, C., Ackermann, A., Turakhia, C., Emerson, M. O., James, A.
- Opening Up Online: Social Networking and Online Survey Response Behaviors; 2012; Turner, S., Lackey, M., Irwin, N.
- Addressed-Based Sampling – A Better Sample? Exploring the Benefits of Using Addressed-Based Sampling...; 2012; Ellis, J, M., Rexrode, D. L.
- Multi-Mode or Multi-Choice; 2012; Hall, L. M., ZuWallack, R. S., Eggers, F. J.
- Viability of Using Facebook to Increase Response Rates in an ABS Survey; 2012; Ruggiere, P., Sams, A., Niermann, A., Romero, E.
- Dual Frame Sample and Mixed Mode Survey Strategy for Improving Coverage Error; 2012; Tarnai, J., Pfingst, L., Solet, D.
- Web Survey with ABS Sample-A Viable Alternative to RDD?; 2012; Suzuki, J.
- Mode Matters: Isolating Selection ffects and Measurements Effects in a Mixed-Mode Survey; 2012; Bowyer, B. T., Rogowski, J. C.
- Comparability of Internet and telephone data in a survey on the respiratory health of children; 2012; Plante, C. Jacques, L., Chevalier, S., Fournier, M.
- Coverage error in internet surveys Can fixed phones fix it?; 2012; Vicente, P., Reis, E.
- Increasing Response Rate in Web-Based/Internet Surveys; 2012; Manzo, A. N., Burke, J. M.
- The Representativity of Web Surveys of the General Population compared to Traditional Modes and Mixed...; 2012; Klausch, L. T., Schouten, B., Hox, J.
- Best of both worlds – The INSA study 50plus; 2012; Geissler, H., Blome, C.
- Determinants of Item Nonresponse to Web and Mail Respondents in Three Address-Based Mixed-Mode Surveys...; 2012; Messer, B. L., Edwards, M. L., Dillman, D. A.
- Thinking, Planning & Operationalizing Empirical Mixed Methods Research Design; 2012; Ruhi, U.
- Exploring Animated Faces Scales in Web Surveys: Drawbacks and Prospects; 2012; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- The cost-effectiveness of cash versus lottery incentives for a web-based, stated-preference community...; 2012; Gajic, A., Cameron, D., Hurley, J.
- What is Probit; 2011
- The smart(phone) way to collect survey data; 2011; Stapleton, C.
- The changing role of address-based sampling in survey research; 2011; Iannacchione, V. G.
- ISER working paper 2011-31. Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Internet access quarterly update 2011 Q1; 2011
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- Handbook of parametric and nonparametric statistical procedures, 5th Edition; 2011; Sheskin, D. J.
- Survey Data Quality Provisions in Statistics Canada E-Questionnaire Solution: Retrospective and Perspectives...; 2011; Abiza, Y.
- Developing Electronic Questionnaire Guidelines: Issues and Challenges in a Changing Environment; 2011; Cote, A.-M., Kelly, P., Lawrence, D.
- Essential methods for design based sample surveys; 2011; Pfeffermann, D., Rao, C. R.
- “You are Invited to Participate”: Challenges of Applying Mixed Survey Methods to Assess...; 2011; Chew, F.
- Effects of Post-Incentives on Response Rates, Costs, and Response Quality in a Web Survey of College...; 2011; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Cyffka, K., Klein, L., Goldrick-Rab, S.