Web Survey Bibliography
Although probability-based online panels provide many advantages such as quality sample, higher response rates and potential for longitudinal design surveys, this paper discusses the limitations and drawbacks to the continued use of a probability based web panel. One limitation that hinders sample quality is when panel respondents become conditioned to taking surveys, and may start to demonstrate bad survey taking behaviors, such as non-response and satisficing.
This paper compares data from a tracking study that has historically relied on a nationally representative probability based online panel data which in recent years has reused panel members as a result of sample limitations to data obtained from an independent probability-based random sample data source. The surveys were administered parallel to each other, and were identical in appearance, content, and functionality.
Results indicate that meaningful differences in responses between the two samples were at least partially explained by the satisficing behavior of repeat panel respondents. The panel respondents were more likely than new survey respondents to select 'Not Sure’ where it was an option. While 'Not Sure’ can be a valid response, selecting 'Not Sure’ can also lower the burden associated with answering a question, especially one that requires more effort to process. These results suggest that data provided by probability based online panels should be approached with caution, as it may not be fully representative of respondents’ reactions to the questions.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Marketing/business (687)
- Lotteries and study results in market research online panels; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- A nationwide web-based freight data collection; 2013; Samimi, A., Mohammadian, A., Kawamura, K.
- Measuring Wages Worldwide: Exploring the Potentials and Constraints of Volunteer Web Surveys; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Raess, D., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- Managing mobile research: How it's different and why it matters; 2013; Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Tucker, J., Wilding-Brown, L.
- An approach to selecting online respondents; 2013; Terhanian, G.
- By the Numbers: Theory of adaptation or survival of the fittest?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Measuring wages via a volunteer web survey – a cross-national analysis of item nonresponse; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Annmaria, B.
- Measuring working conditions in a volunteer web survey; 2013; de Pedraza, P., Villacampa, A.
- Prison break: Releasing offline experiments from methodological constraints by transforming them into...; 2013; Förstel, H., Manthei, K., Mohnen, A., Berger, G.
- Research Design as an Influencing Factor for Reliability in Online Market Research; 2013; Wengrzik, J., Theuner, G.
- 'Ready to complete the survey on Facebook': Web 2.0 as a research tool in business studies; 2013; Gregori, A., Baltar, F.
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- The cross platform report. Q2 -2012 - US; 2012
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Quality in market research. From theory to practice. 2nd Edition; 2012; Harding, D., Jackson, P.
- Online survey statistics for the mobile future. Updated with Q3 2012 data; 2012
- Not just playing around; 2012; Ewing, T.
- MRS Guidelines for online reseach; 2012
- Mobile usability; 2012; Nielsen, J., Budiu, R.
- Mobile email opens report 2nd half 2011; 2012
- ISO 20252. Market, opinion and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements, 2nd Edition; 2012
- Global market research 2012; 2012
- The war against unengaged online respondents; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Qualitatively Speaking: The five absolute, no-excuse must-dos for online qualitative researchers; 2012; Rossow, A.
- By the Numbers: Lessons for using online panels in B2B research; 2012; Elsner, N.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- Multi-Language Multi-Continent B2B Community Panel: How B2B research can effectively span the world; 2012; Morden, M., Accomando, E.
- Can Survey Gaming Techniques Cross Continents? Examining cross cultural reactions to creative questioning...; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Research Goes Mobile: Findings from initial smartphone application research; 2012; Dubreuil, C., Joubert, S.
- Research in the Mobile Mindset: Exploring the unexplored in the mobile research space; 2012; Willems, A., Veris, E., Verhaeghe, A.
- Probabilistic survey questions and incorrect answers: Retirement income replacement rates; 2012; van Santen, P., Alessie, R., Kalwij, A.
- Improving Representativeness In Online Surveys Using A Combined Internet/Postal Approach: Evidence From...; 2012; Atorough, P., Donaldson, B., Harris, A.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Mobile Survey Participation Rates in Commercial Market Research: A Meta-Analysis; 2012; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Becker, K. R., Funke, F., Wachenfeld, A., Fischer, B.
- “What a waste of time!” vs “Why not participate?” On sentiments by business...; 2012; Torres van Grinsven, V., Snijkers, G., Daas, P.
- Measuring work activities and skill requirements of occupations: Experiences from a European pilot study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Myths and realities of respondent engagement in online surveys; 2012; Downes-Le Guin, T., Baker, R. P., Mechling, J., Ruyle, E.
- A beginner's guide to DIY research ; 2012; Cates, T.
- The Reliability and Validity of Alternative Customer Satisfaction Measurement Scales in PC Web and Mobile...; 2012; Chrzan, K., Saunders, T.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Sample Management System for a Mixed Mode (Paper/Web) Survey; 2012; Ullman, E., Peng, H., Helppie McFall, B.
- The Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey 2011; 2012; Macer, T.,
- How Likely?: Comparisons of Behavioral Intention Measurement Validity; 2012; Bremer, J., Thomas, R. K.
- Effects of Progress Indicators on Short Questionnaires; 2012; Sedley, A., Callegaro, M.
- Coverage error in internet surveys Can fixed phones fix it?; 2012; Vicente, P., Reis, E.