Web Survey Bibliography
Title A spectrometer in the bedroom—the development and potential of internet-based experiments
Author Cartwright, H. M., Valentine, K.
Source Computers & Education, 38, 1-3, pp. 53-64
Access date 31.05.2004
Abstract The transformation of the World Wide Web from a tool providing access to a large database into one through which millions of users can view huge volumes of information has been rapid. The changes have been catalyzed by recognition of the value of the web as a source of information, and by the increasing ease and decreasing cost of accessing it. Growth has been further encouraged by expansion in the facilities bundled into web browsers, allowing display of pages which include not only graphics and interactive forms, but animations, embedded Java applets, push technology, and secure encryption. While simple widgets such as forms or tick boxes are limited in the detail that they can capture, more flexible means of interaction are opening up new opportunities for Internet use. Users are increasingly able to dial into web sites which connect them to interactive equipment and offer the chance to conduct remote experiments. This paper considers the role of on-line experiments, the challenges that must be overcome in placing experiments on-line, and how such experiments might develop in the future. We argue that on-line experiments offer benefits in a variety of areas, including enhancement of distance learning, expansion of practical course curricula, engagement of students in science, and lowered cost.
Access/Direct link ScienceDirect (full text)
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - E-learning (24)
- Online-Befragungen im Kontext von Lehrevaluationen – praktisch und unzuverlässig; 2010; Meinefeld, W.
- Exploration of secondary students’ creativity by integrating web-based technology into an innovative...; 2009; Jang, S.- J.
- Statistical analysis of on-line courses; 2009; Baelter, O.
- Online vs. face-to-face discussion in a web-based research methods course for postgraduate nursing students...; 2008; Campbell, M., Gibson, W., Hall, A., Richards, D., Callery, P.
- Online Student Ratings: Increasing Response Rates; 2006; Nelson, D. L.
- Lessons Learned From Online vs. Paper-based Computer Information Students’ Evaluation System; 2005; Liegle, J., McDonald, D. S.
- Using Online Surveys to Evaluate Distance Education Programs; 2005; Strachota, E., Schmidt, S., Conceicao, S.
- Teacher-Student Interaction and Learning in On-line Theological Education. Part I: Concepts and Concerns...; 2005; Heinemann, M. H.
- The impact of Web-based instruction on transactional distance; 2004; Ramanau, R.
- Is the education on digital libraries adequate?; 2004; Yan, Q. L.
- Focused Online Discussions, Moments of Difficulty, and Student Understanding; 2004; Hodges, P. C.
- An investigation of relationships among instructor immediacy and affective and cognitive learning in...; 2004; Baker, J. D.
- Teaching online methods in higher education - the study module "Experimental Psychology" as an example...; 2004; Schulte, F. P., Heineken, E., Ollesch, H.
- The Seven E-learning Barriers Facing Employees; 2003; Mungania, P.
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating an educational digital library resource; 2003; Che Kassim, A. R., Kochtanek, T. R.
- Web accessible databases for electronic resource collections: a case study and its implications; 2003; Cohen, L. B., Calsada, M. M.
- Examining Online Instruction in Undergraduate Nursing Education; 2002; Christianson, L., Tiene, D., Luft, P.
- Online, but on target? Internet-based MBA courses; 2002; McGorry, S. Y.
- SurveyMonkey.com - Web-Based Survey and Evaluation System: http://www.SurveyMonkey.com; 2002; Gordon, A.
- Online business education in the twenty-first century: an analysis of potential target markets; 2001; Evans, J. R., Haase, I. M.
- A spectrometer in the bedroom—the development and potential of internet-based experiments; 2001; Cartwright, H. M., Valentine, K.
- Dimensions of Internet Science; 2001; Reips, U. -D., Bosnjak, M.
- Online Focus Group: A Tool to Evaluate Online Students' Course Experience; 1999; Monolescu, D., Schifter, C.
- Growing up digital; 1998; Tapscott, D.