Web Survey Bibliography
At the last ESRA conference, we presented the results of a vignette-based study in the Netherlands exploring how best to inform respondents about the capture of paradata in Web surveys. We found that any disclosure of paradata capture reduced willingness to participate.
In an attempt to improve willingness to allow the use of paradata, we carried out two further experiments in the U.S., one in a probability-based panel (n=5,550) and one in an opt-in panel (n=9,206). We varied a number of factors across the two studies, including the descriptions of paradata capture (e.g., reasons given, amount of information provided), the time of the consent request (at the beginning or end of the survey), the sensitivity of the topic, and (in one condition) directly asked for permission to use the paradata from the current survey (as opposed to using hypothetical vignettes).
Although there is considerable variation in results between the two studies, in general they reinforce the earlier finding that informing respondents of paradata capture is likely to reduce their willingness to participate in Web surveys, especially when they are asked for their consent directly. In the condition where we asked respondents at the end of the survey for permission to use their paradata, 31% declined. We will describe the results of the three studies, consider possible alternatives to the methods of informing respondents we have been using, and discuss implications for practice.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Conceptualising and evaluating experiences with brands on Facebook; 2013; Smith, S.
- Lotteries and study results in market research online panels; 2013; Goeritz, A.; Luthe, S. C.
- Estimates on the effectiveness of web application firewalls against targeted attacks; 2013; Holm, H., Ekstedt, M.
- Respondent Rewards: Money for Nothing?; 2013; Martin, P.
- How to make your questionnaire mobile-ready; 2013; Cape, P. J.
- Did I Do That? How Trap Questions Can Hurt Data Quality; 2013; Phillips, K.
- Leveraging mobile and online qualitative to get inside shoppers’ heads; 2013; Bryson, J., Ritzo, J.
- A report on the Confirmit Market Research Software Survey 2013; 2013; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Thoughts on using the new online qualitative tools; 2013; Freund, N. M.
- Web Panel Representativeness; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Interactive applets on the Web for methods and statistics; 2013; Reips, U. -D., McClelland, G.
- Economic valuation in Web surveys; A review of the state of the art and best practices; 2013; Menegaki, A. N., Tsagarakis, K. P.
- Can creative web survey questionnaire design improve the response quality?; 2013; Angelovska, J., Mavrikiou, P. M.
- Utilization of High-Technology to Collect Health Risk Assessment Information from Medicare Members:...; 2013; Freedman, D., VanderHorst, N.
- An evaluation of mixed methods (diaries and focus groups) when working with older people; 2013; Koopman-Boyden, P., Richardson, M.
- Respondent Behavior Logging: An Opportunity for Online Survey Design; 2013; Sjoestroem, J., Rahman, M. H., Rafiq, A., Lochan, R., Agerfalk, P. J.
- Beyond Satisfaction Questionnaires: “Hacking” the Online Survey; 2013; Evans, A. L.
- Methodological Issues in the Design of Online Surveys for Measuring Unethical Work Behavior: Recommendations...; 2013; Wouters, K., Maesschalck, J., Peeters, C. F. W., Roosen, M.
- Use of mobile devices to answer online surveys: implications for research; 2013; Cunningham, J. A., Neighbors, C., Bertholet, N., Hendershot, C. S.
- Enhancing student engagement in student experience surveys: a mixed methods study; 2013; Webber, M., Lynch, S., Oluku, J.
- Where Am I? A Meta-Analysis of Experiments on the Effects of Progress Indicators for Web Surveys; 2013; Villar, A., Callegaro, M., Yang, Y.
- Field Lessons From the Delivery of Questionnaires to Young Adults Using Mobile Phones; 2013; van Heerden, A. C., Norris, S. A., Tollman, S. M., Stein, A. D., Richter, L. M.
- Comparison of Smartphone and Online Computer Survey Administration; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- Panel Conditioning in Difficult Attitudinal Questions; 2013; Binswanger, J., Schunk, D., Toepoel, V.
- Web Coverage in the UK and its Potential Impact on General Population Web Surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population; 2013; Lynn, P.
- Optimizing quality of response through adaptive survey designs; 2013; Schouten, B., Calinescu, M., Luiten, A.
- Attitudes of Nebraska Residents on Nebraska Water Management; 2013; Dillman, D. A., Edwards, M. L.
- Attitudes of Washington Residents on Washington Water Management; 2013; Dillman, D. A., Edwards, M. L.
- On the Impact of Response Patterns on Survey Estimates from Access Panels; 2013; Enderle, T., Muennich, R., Bruch, C.
- A Comparison of Data Quality Across Modes in a Mixed-Mode Collection of Administrative Records; 2013; Worthy, M., Mayclin, D.
- Reconceptualizing Survey Representativeness for Evaluating and Using Nonprobability Samples; 2013; Fan, D. P.
- To Click, Type, or Drag? Evaluating Speed of Survey Data Input Methods; 2013; Husser, J. A., Husser, J. A.
- Unit Nonresponse and Weighting Adjustments: A Critical Review; 2013; Brick, J. M.
- Web psychosocial surveys in cancer survivorship - a methodological note; 2013; Santin, O., Mills, M., Treanor, C., Mc Donald, G., Donnelly, M.
- Internet visual media processing: a survey with graphics and vision applications; 2013; Hu, S.-M., Chen, T., Xu, K., Cheng, M.-M., Martin, R. R.
- Measuring the impact of the Web: Rasch modelling for survey evaluation; 2013; Annoni, P., Weziak-Bialowolska, D., Farhan, H.
- Online Case Studies: HESI Exit Exam Scores and NCLEX-RN Outcomes; 2013; Young, A., Rose, G., Willson, P.
- The Challenges and Benefits of Distance Mentoring; 2013; Lach, H. W. et al
- Hail to Thee, Our Alma Mater: Alumni Role Identity and the Relationship to Institutional Support Behaviors...; 2013; McDearmon, J. T.
- Using Tablet Computers For “Intentional” Mobile Research; 2013; Seal, J.
- Encouraging Record Use For Financial Asset Questions In A Web Survey; 2013; Couper, M. P., Ofstedal, M. B., Lee, S.
- Experiments with methods to reduce attrition in longitudinal surveys; 2013; Fumagalli, L., Laurie, H., Lynn, P.
- Can Online Surveys Substitute Traditional Modes? An Error-Based Comparison of Online and On-Site Tourism...; 2013; Kim, N., Yu, X., Schwartz, Z.
- How incentives affect web-based survey response rates of athletic program donors; 2013; Alvarado, G., Callison, C.
- Investigating the Relationship among Prepaid Token Incentives, Response Rates, and Nonresponse Bias...; 2013; Parsons, N. L., Manierre, M. J.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on High School Risk Behavior Data: a Comparison between Web and Paper-based...; 2013; Raghupathy, S., Hahn-Smith, S.
- Web-Based Versus Traditional Paper Questionnaires: A Mixed-Mode Survey With a Nordic Perspective; 2013; Hohwue, L., Lyshol, H., Gissler, M., Hrafn Jonsson, S., Petzold, M., Obel, C.
- Going online with a face-to-face household panel: initial results from an experiment on the Understanding...; 2013; Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Burton, J.
- Targeted response inducement strategies on longitudinal surveys; 2013; Lynn, P.