Web Survey Bibliography
Title Coverage Bias in RDD Sample Surveys due to Cellular Telephone-Only Households
Author Giesbrecht, L., Wright, R. A.
Access date 01.06.2004
Abstract The advent of lower rates and monthly fees for cellular telephone service, along with pay-as-you-go cellular plans, has led to an increase in cellular telephone use in the United States. It is thought that some people are giving up their landlines in favor of cellular phones. Low-income households may use pay-as-you-go cellular plans in lieu of regular landline service. These developments cause concern among those who administer random digit dialing (RDD) telephone surveys and rely on RDD survey data since the sampling frame for virtually all RDD telephone surveys in the United States is limited to landline-based telephones. In addition to bias caused by noncoverage of nontelephone households, additional bias could be contributed to RDD survey data due to noncoverage of households that are giving up their landline service for cellular service. This paper will present results from a national household survey that has collected data on cellular telephone and landline telephone ownership since 1992. It will attempt to estimate the bias in estimates of various socioeconomic and demographic characteristics that would be experienced in an RDD survey that excludes households with a cellular phone and without a landline phone from the sample.
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2002
Web Survey Bibliography - International Conference on Improving Surveys, 2002 (27)
- Feedback in web surveys; 2002; Hoogendoorn, A., Sikkel, D.
- Mode effects in a mail plus Internet designed census; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Dale, T., Dalheim, E., Stromme, H.
- Coverage Bias in RDD Sample Surveys due to Cellular Telephone-Only Households; 2002; Giesbrecht, L., Wright, R. A.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys; 2002; Ezzati-Rice, T. M., Couper, M. P., Givens, J.
- Web based methodologies and techniques to monitor electronic resources use in university libraries; 2002; Civardi, M., Maffenini, W., Zavarrone, E.
- Improving Quality of Surveys; 2002; Marker, D.
- Mobile phone in sample surveys; 2002; Roy, G., Vanheuverzwyn, A.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Integrating paper and web instrument development to enhance efficiency and standardization; 2002; House, C. C.
- Composite Estimators for Complex Sampling; 2002; Nicolini, G., Presti, A. L.
- AESDirect. Internet Data Collection of U.S. Export Information; 2002; Horner, G. J.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Employing a mixed-mode qualitative research method prior to conducting quantitative research; 2002; Metzler, D. P., Davis, P. C.
- Evaluation of neural networks to detect suspicious answers in attitude and evaluation research; 2002; Martini, M. C.
- Web vs Mail Survey Response Rates: Comparisons for an High Education Population; 2002; Romano, M. F.
- An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- List assisted Web surveys: quality, timeliness and nonresponse in the steps of the participation flow...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Computer-assisted longitudinal surveys; 2002; Capiluppi, C.
- An Experiment on Computer-assisted Questionnaire Design for University Didactics Quality Measurement; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Mail and Web Surveys: A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in a Study on Students Housing Conditions; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- The development and administration of a population based Multimedia Computer Assisted Self Interview...; 2002; Robinson, E. M., Watson, P. D., Clark, T. C., Ameratunga, S. N.
- Determinants of Web mode choice in a ''Web and paper'' survey in a high education population; 2002; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- The Impact of Adding e-Interviewers To Web-Based Research; 2001; Feld, K. G.