Web Survey Bibliography
Title Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys
Access date 01.06.2004
Abstract Web surveys are now widely used by commercial firms, academic researchers, and government agencies as a low-cost data collection tool. This paper presents highlights from the growing literature on Web surveys, especially those conducted in government settings. It examines both stand-alone uses of the Web and uses of the Web as a supplemental method of data collection in surveys that rely mainly on other modes. It discusses Web surveys of household populations (such as the general population), more specialized populations (such as physicians), and establishments (such as nursing homes or emergency rooms). Our review considers coverage error, unit and item nonresponse, break-offs or partial completes, and measurement issues. Although some researchers have proposed specific guidelines for the development of Web surveys, the empirical basis for such recommendations is limited and the paper presents a list of issues for which further research is needed. In addition, it also presents some preliminary findings from our own experiments on Web survey design, which focus on basic issues of the formatting of Web questionnaires--whether questionnaires should be scrollable or consist of a series of discrete screens, how many items should be presented on each screen, and how response options should be presented.
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - International Conference on Improving Surveys, 2002 (27)
- Feedback in web surveys; 2002; Hoogendoorn, A., Sikkel, D.
- Mode effects in a mail plus Internet designed census; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Dale, T., Dalheim, E., Stromme, H.
- Coverage Bias in RDD Sample Surveys due to Cellular Telephone-Only Households; 2002; Giesbrecht, L., Wright, R. A.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys; 2002; Ezzati-Rice, T. M., Couper, M. P., Givens, J.
- Web based methodologies and techniques to monitor electronic resources use in university libraries; 2002; Civardi, M., Maffenini, W., Zavarrone, E.
- Improving Quality of Surveys; 2002; Marker, D.
- Mobile phone in sample surveys; 2002; Roy, G., Vanheuverzwyn, A.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Integrating paper and web instrument development to enhance efficiency and standardization; 2002; House, C. C.
- Composite Estimators for Complex Sampling; 2002; Nicolini, G., Presti, A. L.
- AESDirect. Internet Data Collection of U.S. Export Information; 2002; Horner, G. J.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Employing a mixed-mode qualitative research method prior to conducting quantitative research; 2002; Metzler, D. P., Davis, P. C.
- Evaluation of neural networks to detect suspicious answers in attitude and evaluation research; 2002; Martini, M. C.
- Web vs Mail Survey Response Rates: Comparisons for an High Education Population; 2002; Romano, M. F.
- An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- List assisted Web surveys: quality, timeliness and nonresponse in the steps of the participation flow...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Computer-assisted longitudinal surveys; 2002; Capiluppi, C.
- An Experiment on Computer-assisted Questionnaire Design for University Didactics Quality Measurement; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Mail and Web Surveys: A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in a Study on Students Housing Conditions; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- The development and administration of a population based Multimedia Computer Assisted Self Interview...; 2002; Robinson, E. M., Watson, P. D., Clark, T. C., Ameratunga, S. N.
- Determinants of Web mode choice in a ''Web and paper'' survey in a high education population; 2002; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- The Impact of Adding e-Interviewers To Web-Based Research; 2001; Feld, K. G.