Web Survey Bibliography
Title Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys
Access date 01.06.2004
Abstract Web surveys are now widely used by commercial firms, academic researchers, and government agencies as a low-cost data collection tool. This paper presents highlights from the growing literature on Web surveys, especially those conducted in government settings. It examines both stand-alone uses of the Web and uses of the Web as a supplemental method of data collection in surveys that rely mainly on other modes. It discusses Web surveys of household populations (such as the general population), more specialized populations (such as physicians), and establishments (such as nursing homes or emergency rooms). Our review considers coverage error, unit and item nonresponse, break-offs or partial completes, and measurement issues. Although some researchers have proposed specific guidelines for the development of Web surveys, the empirical basis for such recommendations is limited and the paper presents a list of issues for which further research is needed. In addition, it also presents some preliminary findings from our own experiments on Web survey design, which focus on basic issues of the formatting of Web questionnaires--whether questionnaires should be scrollable or consist of a series of discrete screens, how many items should be presented on each screen, and how response options should be presented.
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2002
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (421)
- Great figure--but can you trust it?; 2002; Gaber, I.
- Online surveys in marketing research: pros and cons; 2002; Ilieva, J., Baron, S., Healey, N. M.
- Older Adults Living Through and With Their Computers; 2002; Clark, D. J.
- Seeking legitimacy in online surveys; 2002; Jesdanun, A.
- Self-administered questions by telephone: Evaluating interactive voice response; 2002; Tourangeau, R., Steiger, D. M.,
- Online versus offline research: implications for evaluating digital media; 2002; Gunter, B., Nicholas, D., Huntington, P., Williams, P.
- Exploratory study into wireless application protocol shopping; 2002; Fenech, T.
- Shifting Articulations of Internet Privacy; 2002; Gustafson, K.
- U. S. Air Force Surveys; 2002; Hamilton, C. H., Datko, L. M., Bell, J.
- Respondent burden and Gratifications in Internet Surveys; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Roll-Hansen, D.
- Mode effects in a mail plus Internet designed census; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Dale, T., Dalheim, E., Stromme, H.
- Panel attrition in relation to different kinds of incentives; 2002; Hemsing, W., Mueller, J., Graef, L.
- The Kid's Experimental Psychology Lab: A Web Site for Internet Research with Children; 2002; Frick, A., Reips, U. -D.
- Effects of questionnaire length on response rates: review of findings and guidelines for future research...; 2002; Galesic, M.
- Social Leisure and Home IT: A Time-Diary Approach; 2002; Gershuny, J.
- Coverage Bias in RDD Sample Surveys due to Cellular Telephone-Only Households; 2002; Giesbrecht, L., Wright, R. A.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys; 2002; Ezzati-Rice, T. M., Couper, M. P., Givens, J.
- Can item nonresponse be reduced through conditional gratification?; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- A Computer Tool that Helps Survey Methodologists Improve the Comprehensibility of Questions; 2002; Graesser, A., Karnavat, A., Daniel, K. F., Cooper, E., Cai, Z., Whitten, S., Louwerse, M., Bartlett,...
- Using the Internet to Reach an Elite Population: What Works, What Doesn't?; 2002; Grigorian, K. H., Rosenlund, A., Sokolowski, J.
- Online Social Sciences; 2002; Batinic, B., Reips, U. -D., Bosnjak, M.
- Assessing Internet Questionnaires: The online pretest lab; 2002; Graef, L.
- Understanding the Willingness to Participate in Online-Surveys - The case of E-mail questionnaires; 2002; Bosnjak, M., Batinic, B.
- Psychological Experimenting on the World Wide Web: Investigating content effects in syllogistic reasoning...; 2002; Musch, J., Klauer, K. C.
- Contact Measurement in the WWW; 2002; Werner, A.
- Content Analysis in Online Communication: A challenge for traditional methodology; 2002; Rossler, P.
- Combining Online and CATI Data Collection Techniques With Web-Based Reporting to Measurably Improve...; 2002; Feld, K. G., Stone, W. K.
- Triangulation: Three Modes Measuring HIV-Related Knowledge and Stigma in the U.S; 2002; Fichtner, R., Knight, S., Lentine, D.
- Using Online Surveys to Reduce Survey Costs, Deliver Real Time Results and Better Meet Customer Preferences...; 2002; Sprague, S.
- Delivering Global Customer Satisfaction through A Web Enabled Survey Process at NCR; 2002; Gerrard, M.
- Weaving Web Surveys that Work; 2002; Nucifora, A.
- The Mouse or the Pencil? A Psychometric Comparison of Web-Based and Traditional Survey Methodologies; 2002; Mertler, C. A., Earley, M. A.
- An Empirical Investigation of Antecedents of B2B Websites' Effectiveness; 2002; Chakraborty, G., Lala, V., Warren, D.
- Web Survey Say....; 2002; Anonymous
- BCE & AXA Overcome Access and Confidentiality Hurdles to Web Surveys; 2002; Anonymous
- Principia Makes Web Form Design Easier; 2002; Anonymous
- Methodologies for crawler based Web surveys; 2002; Thelwall, M.
- Introduction to the Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Timmerman, A.
- Web based methodologies and techniques to monitor electronic resources use in university libraries; 2002; Civardi, M., Maffenini, W., Zavarrone, E.
- Improving Quality of Surveys; 2002; Marker, D.
- Satisfaction Scales in a CAWI Survey on University Teaching Evaluation; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Identifying and Reducing the Response Burden in Internet Business Surveys; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Roll-Hansen, D., Notnes, T.
- Evaluation of a Questionnaire Design for Dependent Interviewing in a Web Survey; 2002; Hoogendoorn, A.
- Using the Multimedia Capabilities of Web-Enabled Probability-Based Survey Methodology to Gather Vaccination...; 2002; McCready, W. C., Dennis, J. M., Thalji, L.
- Web as questionnaire designing tool: Is there a limit?; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Usability Testing of Web Data Collection Instruments; 2002; Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L.
- Conducting Research Surveys via E-mail and the Web; 2002; Schonlau, M., Elliot, M. N., Fricker, R. D.
- Mobile phone in sample surveys; 2002; Roy, G., Vanheuverzwyn, A.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.
- A comparison of World-Wide Web and paper-and-pencil personality questionnaires; 2002; Pettit, F. A.