Web Survey Bibliography
Cross-national surveys that consider mixed mode data collection face special problems. Because national “survey climates” differ according to respondent expectations, fieldwork expertise, and mode penetration, most cross-national surveys cannot implement the same mixed mode design in all participating countries. Yet differences in data collection designs pose a threat to measurement equivalence, potentially confounding country differences with errors introduced by country-specific survey practices.
In general, we can distinguish two kinds of cross-national mixed mode survey: in across-country mixed mode surveys, each country uses only a single mode of data collection, but not every country uses the same mode; in within-country mixed mode surveys, one or several countries use more than one mode within their own national survey. In either case, selection effects and measurement effects pose a threat to equivalent measurement. Several established cross-national surveys, such as the World Values Surveys and ISSP, are across-country mixed mode surveys. Yet the implications of this are rarely, if ever, considered or tested.
This presentation will outline the problems that cross-national mixed mode surveys face. We will summarize the evidence available, using results from the European Social Survey Mixed Mode Methodology Programme, which has been conducting cross-national research on mixed mode designs since 2003. We shall also identify gaps in the current scientific knowledge; in particular, the question whether mode effects might differ across countries has rarely been addressed. To conclude, we discuss the implications of our analysis for the design of cross-national mixed mode surveys.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Mixed mode surveys (959)
- Measuring the same concepts in several modes in the "BIBB/BAuA-Employee-Survey 2011/12" ; 2013; Gensicke, M., Tschersich, N., Hartmann, J.
- Error Prevention through Interviewer Emulation? Introducing questionnaire dialogues in the Norwegian...; 2013; Gravem, D. F.
- Multiple Group Confirmatory and Exploratory Factor Analysis: Exploring Measurement Invariance by Rotational...; 2013; Asparouhov, T.
- BSEM Measurement Invariance Analysis; 2013; Muthen, B. O.
- Leveraging Auxiliary Data, Differential Incentives, and Survey Mode to Target Hard-to-Reach Groups in...; 2013; Link, M. W., Thu Burks, A.
- Mail and Web-Based Survey Administration: A Case Study With Recreational Users of Virginia's Wildlife...; 2013; Carrozzino-Lyon, A. L., McMullin, S. L., Parkhurst, J. A.
- The 2012 Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey; 2013; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- A mixed-mode survey tackling against an increasing rate of nonresponse; 2013; Jokinen, M.
- Using Mixed-Mode Contacts in Client Surveys: Getting More Bang for Your Buck; 2013; Israel, G. D.
- Advancing the field of questionnaire translation - identifying problems, discussing methods, pushing...; 2013; Behr, D., Dorer, B., Van Houten, G
- The Impact of Culture and Economy on Values and Attitudes; 2013; Duelmer, H., Voicu, M.
- Educational attainment in cross-national surveys: instrument design, data collection, harmonisation...; 2013; Schneider, S.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- Self-Rated Health Assessed by Web Versus Mail Modes in a Mixed Mode Survey: The Digital Divide Effect...; 2013; Shim, J.-M., Shin, E., Johnson, T. P.
- What works? Getting the General Population To Go Online in a Mixed Mode Local Health Survey; 2013; Frigault, L.-R., Azzou, S. A. K., Molloy, E. J. K., Ammarguellat, F., Couture, M., Gratton, J.
- ONS Plans for Web Data Collection in LFS; 2013; Lound, C.
- ESSnet Data: Collection for Social Surveys using Multiple Modes; 2013; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- Evaluation of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design Experiment with Physicians on Response Rates, Costs, and...; 2013; Geisen, E., Olmsted, M. G., Murphy, J., Stanley, M.
- A Multi-Survey, Multi-Methodological Assessment of Perception of Need and Quality of Life: Opinion Polling...; 2013; Levy, D.,
- Using Motivating Prompts to Increase Responses to Open-ended Questions in Mixed-mode Surveys: Where...; 2013; Israel, G. D.
- Building a History: Collecting Comprehensive Employment Data in a Web-Based, Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Cominole, M., Bennett, C., Caves, L.
- Augmenting Paper Diaries With Phone and Web Data Retrieval: Is it Effective?; 2013; Wargelin, L., Minser, J., Homer, Z., Fleeman, A., ZuWallack, R. S.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on Socially Undesirable Responses to Open Ended Questions: Online vs. Paper...; 2013; Hedberg, E., Ceasar, G., Wallace, D.
- Mode Effects in a National Establishment Survey; 2013; Daley, K., Phillips, B. T.
- Effects of Respondent Reluctance, Mode, and Technical Difficulties on Straight- Lining and Refusals...; 2013; Gibson, J. L., Mendelson, J.
- Differential Incentives in a Dual Mode Survey of Health Care Providers; 2013; Roff, B., Barrett, K.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Respondent Management and Data Collection Tool for Mixed-Mode (Phone/...; 2013; Luxenberg, H., Rainey, J.
- Estimating Measurement Effects of Survey Modes From Between and Within Subject Designs; 2013; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Predicting Survey Breakoff in Internet Survey Panels; 2013; Al Baghal, T., McCutcheon, A. L., Tsabutashvili, D.
- Is Pushing the General Public to the Web in Address-Based Samples Cost Effective?; 2013; Lesser, V. M.
- Examining the Effects of Interventions to Obtain Participation via Less Expensive Modes: Results from...; 2013; Harris-Kojetin, L., Sengupta, M., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- First Contact Strategies for Web Surveys: Is a Phone Call or a Letter the More Effective Introduction...; 2013; Connelly, J., Sjoblom, M., Datta, R., Scholfield Hepburn, P.
- How Do Different Sampling Techniques Perform in a Web-Only Survey? Results From a Comparison of a Random...; 2013; Bilgen, I., Stern, M. J., Wolter, K.
- Are Response Rates to a Web-Only Survey Spatially Clustered?; 2013; Fiorio, L., Stern, M. J., English, N., Bilgen, I., Curtis, B.
- The Effectiveness of Mailed Invitations for Web Surveys; 2013; Bandilla, W., Couper, M. P., Kaczmirek, L.
- The Use of Email, Text Messages, and Facebook to Increase Response Rates Among Adolescents in a Longitudinal...; 2013; Fleeman, A., Francis, K., Henderson, T., Woodford, M., Jani, M.
- Use of Smart Phones/Text Messaging to Increase Response Rates; 2013; DuBray, P.
- How Representative are Google Consumer Surveys?: Results From an Analysis of a Google Consumer Survey...; 2013; Krishnamurty, P., Tanenbaum, E., Stern, M. J.
- Using Multiple Modes in Follow-Up Contacts in Random-Digit Dialing Surveys; 2013; Chowdhury, P. P.
- Impacts of Unit Nonresponse in a Recontact Study of Youth; 2013; Mendelson, J., Viera Jr., L.
- Multi-Mode Survey Administration: Does Offering Multiple Modes at Once Depress Response Rates?; 2013; Newsome, J., Levin, K., Langetieg, P., Vigil, M., Sebastiani, M.
- Utilizing the Web in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Venkataraman, L.
- Changing to a Mixed-Mode Design: The Role of Mode in Respondents’ Decisions About Participation...; 2013; Collins, D., Mitchell, M., Toomes, M.
- Comparing the Effects of Mode Design on Response Rate, Representativeness, and Cost Per Complete in...; 2013; Tully, R.
- Internet Response for the Decennial Census – 2012 National Census Test; 2013; Reiser, C.
- The Effects of Pushing Web in a Mixed-Mode Establishment Data Collection; 2013; Ellis, C.
- The smart(phone) way to collect survey data; 2013; Stapleton, C.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- Mode Matters: Evaluating Response Comparability in a Mixed-Mode Survey; 2013; Bowyer, B. T., Rogowski, J. C.
- Research Intentions are Nothing without Technology: Mixed-Method Web Surveys and the Coberen Wall of...; 2013; Ganassali, S., Rodriguez-Santos, C.