Web Survey Bibliography
The annual Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control utilizes random samples of the US population. From 2001-2008, annual samples were obtained using Random Digit Dialing methods. This study examines the utility of a mixed-mode approach, used in 2009-10, and examines the validity of overall and subpopulation findings.The RDD frame included US households with landline telephones. Knowledge Networks provided the internet panel. Members were randomly recruited by telephone and mail surveys, and households were provided with access to the Internet and hardware if needed. Weights were computed in two steps. First, both frames were weighted based upon 2009 US Census estimates. Second, adjustments to these initial weights were computed to account for the overlap in the two samples. Comparisons to the Census demonstrated that the KN panel provided better representation of adults with low education and young adults. Age and education are correlated with smoking. Predictably, KN panel estimates for tobacco control indicators were marginally lower than RDD frame estimates.
Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, administered via household interviews, were used to examine the validity of the mixed-mode approach. Both surveys use the same protocol to assess smoking status. The RDD frame produced the lowest estimate (14.8%) and the the KN frame produced the highest estimate (20.3%) for smoking, whereas the mixed-mode dataset produced an estimate of 18.3%, which is within the sampling error of the NHIS estimate (19.9%). Subpopulation comparisons demonstrated that estimates for current smoking from the mixed-mode dataset closely matched those from the NHIS for young adults, adults with low education, and Hispanic adults.
These findings suggest that the mixed-mode approach used significantly reduced our
undercoverage sample bias. Mixed mode samples and weighting may help researchers select methods that will provide more representative samples and increase validity for tobacco use and other health behaviors.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (444)
- Effects of Self-Awareness on Disclosure During Skype Survey Interviews; 2013; Feuer, S., Schober, M. F.
- Differential Incentives in a Dual Mode Survey of Health Care Providers; 2013; Roff, B., Barrett, K.
- Changing of the Guard: Effects of Different Self-Administered Survey Modes on Sensitive Questions; 2013; Barlas, F. M., Higgins, W. B., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- Examining the Effects of Interventions to Obtain Participation via Less Expensive Modes: Results from...; 2013; Harris-Kojetin, L., Sengupta, M., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- Evaluating the Effect of a Non-Monetary Incentive in a Nationally Representative Mixed-Mode Establishment...; 2013; Sengupta, M., Harris-Kojetin, L., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- Evaluating Interactive Feedback in Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing (CASI); 2013; Hudson, M. L., Hupp, A., Zhang, C., Schroeder, H. M.
- Examining the Feasibility of SMS as a Contact Mode for a College Student Survey; 2013; Crawford, S. D., McClain, C., O'Brien, S., Nelson, T. F.
- Survey Reminder Method Experiment: An Examination of Cost Efficiency and Reminder Mode Salience in the...; 2013; Anderson, M., Rogers, B., CyBulski, K., Hall, J. W., Alderks, C. E., Milazzo-Sayre, L.
- A Comparison Between Screen/Follow Item Format and Yes/No Item Format on a Multi-Mode Federal Survey; 2013; Hernandez,S. J., Arakelyan, S. N., Welch, V. E.
- Internet-Based Recruitment to a Depression Prevention Intervention: Lessons From the Mood Memos Study...; 2013; Morgan, A. J., Jorm, A. F., Mackinnon, A. J.
- Challenges for Researchers Investigating Contraceptive Use and Pregnancy Intentions of Young Women Living...; 2013; Herbert, D. L., Loxton, D., Bateson, D., Weisberg, E., Lucke, J. C.
- An Assessment of Incentive Versus Survey Length Trade-offs in a Web Survey of Radiologists; 2013; Ziegenfuss, J. Y., Niederhauser, B. D., Kallmes, D., Beebe, T. J.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- A comparison of data quality and practicality of online versus postal questionnaires in a sample of...; 2013; King, M. T., Butow, P., Olver, I., Smith, A. B.
- Especially for You: Motivating Respondents in an Internet Panel by Offering Tailored Questions; 2012; Oudejans, M.
- Efficacy of a health-related Facebook social network site on health-seeking behaviors; 2012; Woolley, P., Peterson, M.
- How Should Debriefing Be Undertaken in Web-Based Studies? Findings From a Randomized Controlled Trial...; 2012; McCambridge, J., Kypri, K., Wilson, A.
- Data Quality in HIV/AIDS Web-Based Surveys: Handling Invalid and Suspicious Data; 2012; Bauermeister, J. A., Pingel, E., Zimmerman, M., Couper, M. P., Carballo-Diéguez, A., Strecher, V. J.
- Response rates in three opinion surveys performed through online questionnaires in the health setting...; 2012; Aerny Perreten, N., Domínguez-Berjón, M. F., Astray Mochales, J., Esteban-Vasallo, M. D., Blanco Ancos...
- Use of Web 2.0 to Recruit Australian Gay Men to an Online HIV/AIDS Survey; 2012; Theriault, N., Bi, P., Hiller, J. E., Nor, M.
- Developing an Online GIS-based Survey Instrument to Elicit Perceived Neighborhood Information for Environmental...; 2012; Carr, J., Johnson, I., Keene, R., Landry, P., Gradeck, R., Lucht, J., Beach, S., Clougherty, J.
- Reaching Under/Never Screened Populations Using an Online Survey; 2012; Filsinger, B., Gesink, D., Mihic, A., Kreiger, N.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Medical Record Data Integration with Patient-Reported Outcomes; 2012; Cascade, E., Marr, P., Winslow, M., Burgess, A., Nixon, M.
- Clinicians’ Perspectives on a Web-Based System for Routine Outcome Monitoring in Old-Age Psychiatry...; 2012; Veerbeek, M. A., Voshaar, R. C. O., Pot, A. M.
- Using Collaborative Web Technology to Construct the Health Information National Trends Survey; 2012; Moser, R. P., Beckjord, E. B., Finney Rutten, L. J., Blake, K., Hesse, B. W.
- Testing Video Messages in Web Surveys: Effects on Sample Bias and Validity; 2012; Shapiro, D., Cappella, J.
- Designing an Instrument to Measure No-notice Emergency Evacuations: The Case of the Emergency Evacuation...; 2012; Bautista, R., Fontes, A., Auld, J., Sokolov, V.
- A Shot in the Dark: Measurement Influence on Likelihood to Vaccination; 2012; Higgins, W. B., Thomas, R. K.
- Evaluating the Impact of Emails and Landing Page on Web Survey Access; 2012; Falcone, A. E., Thomas, R. K., Mack, A. R.
- Cell Sample Demographics under Alternative Dual-Frame Sample Designs; 2012; Montgomery, R., Morrison, H., Zeng, W., Wolter, K., Blumberg, S. J., O'Connor, K.
- Using Online Panels for National Surveys of Low Incidence Populations: Findings from the CDC Influenza...; 2012; Boyle, J., Ball, S., Ding, H., Srinath, K. P., Euler, G.
- Sleep Diary Feasibility and Mode Study: Paper Vs. Electronic; 2012; Brown, J.
- Survey Mode Preference among Enrollees in the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2012; Yu, S., Brackbill, R., Walker, D., Turner, L., Farfel, M., Stellman, S., Miller, S., Li, J.
- Disentangling Mode and Nonresponse Effects in the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2012; Murphy, J., Brackbill, R., Yu, S., Wu, D., Walker, D., Turner, L., Stellman, S., Miller, S., Saleska...
- Viability of Using Facebook to Increase Response Rates in an ABS Survey; 2012; Ruggiere, P., Sams, A., Niermann, A., Romero, E.
- Drop-Off Point for Undergraduate Students on a Web-based Alcohol and Tobacco Use Questionnaire; 2012; Mitra, A.
- Dual Frame Sample and Mixed Mode Survey Strategy for Improving Coverage Error; 2012; Tarnai, J., Pfingst, L., Solet, D.
- Survey non-response in an internet-mediated, longitudinal autism research study; 2012; Cohen, C., Lehmann, H., G., Law, P.Kalb, L. G.
- Comparability of Internet and telephone data in a survey on the respiratory health of children; 2012; Plante, C. Jacques, L., Chevalier, S., Fournier, M.
- Online and Paper-Based: A Mixed-Method Approach to Conducting a Needs Assessment Survey of Physicians...; 2012; Olatunbosun, T., Wu, C., Grewal, G., Lynn, B.
- Active-Q: Validation of the Web-Based Physical Activity Questionnaire Using Doubly Labeled Water; 2012; Bonn, S. E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y., Christensen, S. E., Moeller, E., Wright, A., Sjoelander, A., Baelter...
- Validation of an online questionnaire measure of the relative reinforcing value of food; 2012; Reslan, S., Saules, K. K., Greenwald, M. K.
- Monitoring Validated Quality of Life Outcomes After Prostatectomy: Initial Description of Novel Online...; 2012; Sebrow, D., Lavery, H. J., Brajtbord, J. S., Hobbs, A., W., Levinson, A. W.; Samadi, D. B.
- Validity and reproducibility of a web-based, self-administered food frequency questionnaire; 2012; Labonte, M. - E., Cyr, A., Baril-Gravel, L., Royer, M. - M., Lamarche, B.
- Validation of an Informant-Reported Web-Based Data Collection to Assess Dementia Symptoms; 2012; Rockwood, K., Zeng, A., Leibman, C., Mucha, L., Mitnitski, A.
- Web-Based Recruiting for Health Research Using a Social Networking Site: An Exploratory Study; 2012; Fenner, Y., Garland, P., Moore, E. E., Jayasinghe, Y., Fletcher, A., Tabrizi, S. N., Gunasekaran, B.,...
- Broad Reach and Targeted Recruitment Using Facebook for an Online Survey of Young Adult Substance Use...; 2012; Ramo, D. E., Prochaska, J. J.
- Use of incentives and web-based administration for surveying student alcohol and substance use in an...; 2012; Onoye, J. M., Goebert, D., Nishimura, S.
- Does survey format influence self-disclosure on sensitive question items?; 2012; Kays, K., Gathercoal, K., Buhrow, W.
- An Analysis of Response Rate and Economic Costs Between Mail and Web-Based Surveys Among Practicing...; 2012; Hardigan, P. C., Succar, C. T., Fleisher, J. M.