Web Survey Bibliography
Survey researchers, who must choose between mixed mode and single mode surveys, currently have limited evidence regarding implications for measurement and estimation. While many studies have investigated measurement effects associated with the main survey modes, and the overall effect of conducting a survey in one mode rather than another, few studies assess the overall effect of a mixed mode design versus a single mode.
Yet the question of equivalence between single and multi-mode surveys is important in many practical situations. In cross-national surveys, for example, only some countries may have the capacity to carry out a mixed-mode survey. In this paper, we discuss the evidence survey researchers need to help them to decide whether a mixed mode survey can provide data equivalent to a single mode survey, and we offer some tentative conclusions based on a case study.
We present an experiment conducted in the Netherlands parallel to Round 4 of the European Social Survey (ESS4). Two different mixed-mode designs – “concurrent” and “sequential”, both involving web, telephone, and face-to-face interviews – were compared with the regular single-mode ESS4 survey. We discuss practical difficulties encountered in the design and management of the mixed mode surveys, and offer explanations for the surprising finding that both mixed mode designs achieved a significantly lower response rate than the single-mode face-to-face survey.
We also gauge the equivalence of univariate and multivariate analyses across the three designs. While most variables yield equivalent point estimates across all three samples, there are notable and statistically significant differences on some types of variables, especially those with social desirability connotations. We also explore the more complex effects that the mixed mode designs had on patterns of bivariate correlations, and on the results of multivariate analyses.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Mode Choice on an iPhone Increases Survey Data Quality; 2013; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F., Zhang, C., Yan, H. G., Vickers, L., Johnston, M., Hupp, A., Hemingway...
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: Findings From Seven Access Panel Studies; 2013; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Funke, F.
- Speeding and Non-Differentiation in Web Surveys: Evidence of Correlation and Strategies for Reduction...; 2013; Zhang, C.
- Use of Drag-and-Drop Rating Scales in Web Surveys and Its Effect on Survey Reports and Data Quality; 2013; Kunz, T.
- Effects of Respondent Reluctance, Mode, and Technical Difficulties on Straight- Lining and Refusals...; 2013; Gibson, J. L., Mendelson, J.
- The Relations Among Different Cognitive Shortcuts in Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Medway, R., Presser, S.
- Suppressing Survey Response: Further Evidence to Not Use Web Instruction Cards; 2013; Puniello, O. T., Weiner, M., Noland, R. B.
- Differential Incentives in a Dual Mode Survey of Health Care Providers; 2013; Roff, B., Barrett, K.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Respondent Management and Data Collection Tool for Mixed-Mode (Phone/...; 2013; Luxenberg, H., Rainey, J.
- Effects of Displaying Videos on Measurement in a Web Survey; 2013; Mendelson, J., Gibson, J. L., Romano Bergstrom, J. C.
- The Effect of Attempting to Recruit Respondents to a Web-Based Diary on Overall Response Rate; 2013; Cantave, M. A. Gentry, R. J.
- Comparisons of Online Recruitment Strategies: Craigslist, Facebook, Google Ads and Amazon’s Mechanical...; 2013; Antoun, C., Zhang, C., Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.
- Watch Your Language!: The Impact of the Survey Language on Bilingual Hispanics’ Response Process...; 2013; Ay, M., Gross, W., Cobb, C. L., Thomas, R. K.
- Estimation of Expected Academic Engagement Behaviors: The Use of Vague Quantifiers Versus Tallied Responses...; 2013; Cole, J.
- Self-Reported Participation in Research Practices Among Survey Methodology Researchers; 2013; Perez-Vergara, K., Smith, C., Lowenstein, C., Ozonoff, A., Martins, Y.
- Changing of the Guard: Effects of Different Self-Administered Survey Modes on Sensitive Questions; 2013; Barlas, F. M., Higgins, W. B., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- Estimating Measurement Effects of Survey Modes From Between and Within Subject Designs; 2013; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Web Versus Outbound: A Mode Face-Off Following the Presidential Debate; 2013; Marlar, J.
- Examining Response Time Outliers Though Paradata in Online Panel Surveys; 2013; Lee, J., Al Baghal, T.
- Innovative Retention Methods in Panel Research: Can SmartPhones Improve Long-Term Panel Participation...; 2013; Dayton, J. J., Dyer, A.
- Predicting Survey Breakoff in Internet Survey Panels; 2013; Al Baghal, T., McCutcheon, A. L., Tsabutashvili, D.
- Using GIS to Target Address-Based Samples of Households for a Web (vs. Mail) Response: Evidence from...; 2013; Messer, B. L.
- Is Pushing the General Public to the Web in Address-Based Samples Cost Effective?; 2013; Lesser, V. M.
- Effects of Survey Sponsorship on Internet and Mail Response: Using Address- Based Sampling; 2013; Edwards, M. L.
- Grid Formats, Data Quality, and Mobile Device Use: A Questionnaire Design Approach; 2013; McClain, C., Crawford, S. D.
- Can Embedded Help Text Links in Web Survey Items Improve Data Quality?; 2013; Janson, N., Bennett, C., Caves, L., Cominole, M., Shepherd, B., Wine, J.
- Using the iPad as a Prize-Based Incentive to Boost Response Rates: A Case Study at Brigham Young University...; 2013; McClendon, R., Olsen, D.
- Can Google Consumer Surveys Help Pre-Test Alternative Versions of a Survey Question?: A Comparison of...; 2013; Stern, M. J., Welch, W. W.
- Online Panels: Recruitment Based on “Hot Topics” – What are the Consequences?; 2013; Andreasson, M., Martinsson, J.
- Social Network Analysis and Survey Response: How Facebook Data Can Supplement Survey Data; 2013; Sage, A.
- Surveywalls: A Breakthrough for Survey Customers or DIY Run Amok?; 2013; Wells, T., Dean, E., Rao, K., Murphy, J., Roe, D. J.
- Examining the Effects of Interventions to Obtain Participation via Less Expensive Modes: Results from...; 2013; Harris-Kojetin, L., Sengupta, M., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- Evaluating the Effect of a Non-Monetary Incentive in a Nationally Representative Mixed-Mode Establishment...; 2013; Sengupta, M., Harris-Kojetin, L., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- Dynamic Visual Design for List-Style Open-Ended Questions in Web Surveys; 2013; Fuchs, M.
- Classifying Mouse Movements to Predict Respondent Difficulty; 2013; Horwitz, R.
- Are You Seeing What I am Seeing? Exploring Response Option Visual Design Effects With Eye-Tracking; 2013; Libman, A., Smyth, J. D., Olson, K.
- Evaluating Interactive Feedback in Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing (CASI); 2013; Hudson, M. L., Hupp, A., Zhang, C., Schroeder, H. M.
- Effective e-incentive for Online Study: Comparing Branded e-Gift Card and Virtual Cash Card; 2013; Jin, T., Duan, S., Lai, J. W., Link, M. W.
- First Contact Strategies for Web Surveys: Is a Phone Call or a Letter the More Effective Introduction...; 2013; Connelly, J., Sjoblom, M., Datta, R., Scholfield Hepburn, P.
- Response Format Effects in the Measurement of Employment; 2013; Rodkin, S., Thomas, R. K., Subias, S., Chu, C.
- Impact of Filter Questions on Estimates of Media Consumption; 2013; Cobb, C. L., Godinez, D., Thomas, R. K., Baim, J.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on Nonresponse Bias and Measurement Error: A Validation Approach; 2013; Kirchner, A., Felderer, B.
- Cross-Platform Measurement: User Experience With a Smartphone and Web Self- Reported Data Collection...; 2013; Petras, A. P., Duan, S., Dan, O.
- How Far Have We Come? The Lingering Digital Divide and Its Impact on the Representativeness of Internet...; 2013; Dennis, J. M., Cobb, C. L.
- How Do Different Sampling Techniques Perform in a Web-Only Survey? Results From a Comparison of a Random...; 2013; Bilgen, I., Stern, M. J., Wolter, K.
- Paradata in Web Surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Are Response Rates to a Web-Only Survey Spatially Clustered?; 2013; Fiorio, L., Stern, M. J., English, N., Bilgen, I., Curtis, B.
- The Effectiveness of Mailed Invitations for Web Surveys; 2013; Bandilla, W., Couper, M. P., Kaczmirek, L.
- Examining the Feasibility of SMS as a Contact Mode for a College Student Survey; 2013; Crawford, S. D., McClain, C., O'Brien, S., Nelson, T. F.
- The Impact on Web Survey Drop-Out Rates of Page Number Progress Indicators Used Throughout, Near the...; 2013; Walston, J. T., Cunningham, B., Medway, R.