Web Survey Bibliography
Household travel surveys response rates are decreasing. Efforts are made to increase response rate for traditional survey by improving the questionnaire, reducing respondent burden, increasing reminders… Even if results are generally positive, it is in most cases not sufficient. Weighting aims at reducing the impact of non response, but it is always necessary to postulate that people with some socio-demographic characteristics who do not respond to a survey have the same behaviour than people with the same socio-demographic characteristics who respond. But evidence seems to indicate that it is not always the case for travel. To reduce this bias of non-response, we have realised a web survey in parallel of the 2006 household travel survey conducted in face to face in Lyon. The idea was to propose to households who refuse to respond in face to face or was not reachable after a certain number of attempts to respond by the web.
This new and interactive mode of data collection offers to the respondents the possibility to choose a nice moment to complete the questionnaire. However, Internet penetration rate is still low, and users’ capabilities and equipment vary a lot. Therefore the generalization of the results to the whole population remains inaccurate. Moreover, the implementation of a Web survey raises specific problems, in terms of design and administration of the questionnaire. Lastly, the danger when databases are merged is that a sample selection bias will be created.
The paper initially discusses web potential for households travel surveys, especially in a mixed modes framework. Then, some thoughts on Lyon on-line questionnaire and the choices operated compared to its paper version are provided. We present the results of the Lyon web travel survey compared to the face-to-face survey, and characterize a selection bias. Finally, we give some perspectives for future households travel surveys.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (452)
- Multi-Mode Survey Administration: Does Offering Multiple Modes at Once Depress Response Rates?; 2013; Newsome, J., Levin, K., Langetieg, P., Vigil, M., Sebastiani, M.
- The Effects of Pushing Web in a Mixed-Mode Establishment Data Collection; 2013; Ellis, C.
- Adaptive web sampling in ecology; 2012; Thompson, S. K.
- Mixed-mode design and Mode Effect in Surveying Military Veterans; 2012; Wang, W., Morin, R., Parker, K.
- Internet Mobility Survey Sampling Biases in Measuring Frequency of Use of Different Transport Modes; 2012; Diana, M.
- Web-based survey design for unravelling semi-compensatory choice in transport and urban planning; 2012; Kaplan, S., Bekhor, S., Shiftan, Y.
- Exploring Animated Faces Scales in Web Surveys: Drawbacks and Prospects; 2012; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Assessing the Effects of Technical Variance on the Statistical Outcomes of Web Experiments Measuring...; 2012; Brand, A., Bradley, M. T.
- The cost-effectiveness of cash versus lottery incentives for a web-based, stated-preference community...; 2012; Gajic, A., Cameron, D., Hurley, J.
- The Effect of Invitation Design on Web Survey Response Rates; 2012; Kaplowitz, M. D., Lupi, F., Couper, M. P., Thorp, L.
- Web versus Mail: The Influence of Survey Distribution Mode on Employees’ Response; 2012; Saunders, M. N. K.
- Observed Differences in the Placement and Wording of Neutral Response Options in Web Surveys: An Experiment...; 2011; Walton, L., Cobb, C. L., DiSogra, C.
- Using Online Surveys to Conduct Jury Research; 2011; Edelman, B.
- Web Surveys; 2011; Furlan, R., Martone, D., Kenett, R. S., Salini, S.
- Preferences, intentions, and expectation violations: A large-scale experiment with a representative...; 2011; Bellemare. C., Kroeger, S., van Soest, A.
- Agreement between web-based and paper versions of a socio-demographic questionnaire in the NutriNet-...; 2011; Vergnaud, A. C., Touvier, M., Méjean, C., Kesse-Guyo, E., Pollet, C., Malon, A., Castetbon, K., Hercberg...
- Survey Says? A Primer on Web-Based Survey Design and Distribution; 2011; Oppenheimer, A. J., Pannucci, C. J., Kasten, S. J., Haase, S. C.
- Improving online surveys; 2011; Puleston, J.
- Data Use: A systematic method for checking online questionnaires; 2011; Arbittier, J.
- Estimating nonresponse bias and mode effects in a mixed-mode survey; 2011; Lugtig, P. J., Lensvelt-Mulders, G. J., Frerichs, R., Greven, A.
- Successful Prompting Methods on a Web-Based Survey; 2011; Venkataraman, L.
- Responses to Mail-Internet Mixed Mode Surveys: When Can we do Away with Paper Questionnaires?; 2011; Krebill-Prather, R.
- Web/Cloud Based CATI Using queXS; 2011; Zammit, A.
- Dissemination of survey (meta)data in the LISS data archive; 2011; Streefkerk, M., Elshout, S.
- Separation of selection bias and mode effect in mixed-mode survey – Application to the face-to...; 2011; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- Are Internet surveys an alternative to face-to-face interviews in contingent valuation? ; 2011; Lindhjem, H. Navrud, S,
- Observations about Respondent Behaviors and Survey Data from a Web Survey Commissioned by the U.S. Food...; 2011; Lin, C. T. J.
- What We Know About Our Online Respondents…And How We Plan to Use That Knowledge; 2011; Gottschall, C.
- Driving Respondents to the Web: Experimental Trial of Benefit Appeals and Impacts on Survey Completion...; 2011; Moore, D.
- Measuring User Satisfaction in the Lab: Questionnaire Mode, Physical Location, and Social Presence Concerns...; 2011; Jans, M., Romano, J. C., Ashenfelter, K. T., Krosnick, J. A.
- Comparison of an Internet Versus Mail Survey: A Case Study; 2011; Gigliotti, L. M.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2011; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- E-survey (surveys based on e-mail & web) Analysis and identification of cold responsive proteins in...; 2011; Sodabeh, J.-G., Ferdous, R.-J., Lello, Z., Ghasem, K., Ghasem, H. S., Gholipoori, A., Siroos, M., Sajjad...
- Comparing the Accuracy of RDD Telephone Surveys and Internet Surveys Conducted with Probability and...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A., Chang, L. C., Javitz, H. S., Levindusky, M. S., Simpser, A.; Wang, R...
- Experimental Trial of Benefit Appeals on Completion Rates for the Agricultural Screening Survey; 2010; Atkinson, D., Moore, D., McCarthy, J. S.
- Web Questionnaire Usage in an Establishment Survey; 2010; Harris, S. J., Biemer, P. P., Penne, M. A.
- A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the...; 2010; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Self-administered mobile surveys: Usability and (non)participation; 2010; Scherrer, S., Bosnjak, M.
- Web-based macroseismic survey in Italy: method validation and results; 2010; Sbarra P., Tosi, P., De Rubeis, V.
- The use of web questionnaires in second language acquisition and bilingualism research; 2010; Wilson, R., Dewaele, J. M.
- Experiments in Mobile Web Survey Design - Similarities to Other Modes and Unique Considerations; 2010; Peytchev, A., Hill, C. A.
- The Fallacy of Online Surveys: No Data Are Better Than Bad Data; 2010; Duda, M. D., Nobile, J. L.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2010; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- Online Travel Surveys and Response Patterns ; 2010; Pan, B.
- Mode and Context Effects in Measuring Household Assets; 2010; van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A.
- Does the Online Collection of Ego-Centered Network Data reduce Data Quality? An Experimental Comparison...; 2010; Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- Improving the response rate and quality in Web-based surveys through the personalization and frequency...; 2010; Muñoz-Leiva, F., Sánchez-Fernández, J., Montoro-Ríos, F. J., Ibáñez-Zapata, J. A.
- Conference interpreters and their self-representation: A worldwide web-based survey ; 2009; Zwischenberger, C.
- The Introduction of a Cell Phone Oversample to the Ohio Family Health Survey: Covering the Undercovered...; 2009; Duffy, T., Iachan, R., Bausch, S., Muzzy, S., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Challenges and Benefits of Interactive Online Surveys: A Case Survey of Youth Political Ideology; 2009; Ren, G.