Web Survey Bibliography
The Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE) is a multidisciplinary and cross-national panel survey on health, socio-economic status and social and family networks. The panel consists of more than 45,000 individuals aged 50 or over. Having fielded the baseline of this bi-annual panel study in 2004/05, SHARE is now in its fourth wave of data collection.
To ensure high quality in comparative data collection, the same SHARE questionnaire is implemented with a single Blaise CAPI instrument in all countries. The different country teams translate their version of the instruments over the internet (using a web browser) via the Language Management Utility (LMU), a web application developed by CentERdata. All translated texts such as question texts, interviewer instructions, answer categories, fill texts, error messages, etc. can be translated into country specific survey instruments, based on the blueprint of the generic version. When some texts change during the development process of the questionnaire and the pilots, flags are added so that translators can immediately see what work has to be done. The translated texts are then automatically inserted into the Blaise questionnaire using the Blaise Generator application, also developed by CentERdata.
This presentation aims to provide insight into translations in the survey process, when a single CAPI survey instrument is implemented across multiple languages. We will showcase how the translation process can benefit from the LMU, especially in panel surveys, and also point out the challenges encountered with this instrument. Finally, we will address future opportunities both in terms of survey management and in terms of the analysis potential of the LMU paradata.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - The Netherlands (249)
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- Optimal Resource Allocation in Adaptive Survey Designs; 2013; Calinescu, M.
- Internet as a new source of information for the production of official statistics. Experiences of Statistics...; 2013; Heerschap, N.
- Web Panels for Official Statistics? ; 2013; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F.
- Interactive applets on the Web for methods and statistics; 2013; Reips, U. -D., McClelland, G.
- Economic valuation in Web surveys; A review of the state of the art and best practices; 2013; Menegaki, A. N., Tsagarakis, K. P.
- Can creative web survey questionnaire design improve the response quality?; 2013; Angelovska, J., Mavrikiou, P. M.
- Methodological Issues in the Design of Online Surveys for Measuring Unethical Work Behavior: Recommendations...; 2013; Wouters, K., Maesschalck, J., Peeters, C. F. W., Roosen, M.
- Panel Conditioning in Difficult Attitudinal Questions; 2013; Binswanger, J., Schunk, D., Toepoel, V.
- Random versus Systematic Error in a Mixed Mode Online-Telephone Survey; 2013; Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Boeve, A., Boeve, A., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Mobility and Smartphones: a pilot study of travel data collection among experienced and inexperienced...; 2013; Douhou, S., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Does It Pay Off to Include Non-Internet Households in an Internet Panel? ; 2013; Leenheer, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- European Values Study - methodological and substantive applications; 2013; Luijkx, R., Jagodzinski, W.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- Scientific impact of the MESS Project: A brief overview; 2013; Das, M.
- Estimating Measurement Effects of Survey Modes From Between and Within Subject Designs; 2013; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Comparing Survey Results Obtained via Mobile Devices and Computers: An Experiment With a Mobile Web...; 2013; de Bruijne, M., Wijnant, A.
- Measuring Wages Worldwide: Exploring the Potentials and Constraints of Volunteer Web Surveys; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Raess, D., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The comparison of road safety survey answers between web-panel and face-to-face; Dutch results of SARTRE...; 2013; Goldenbeld, C., de Craen, S.
- Mixed-mode including web: Recent developments at Statistics Netherlands; 2013; Luiten, A., Schouten, B.
- The smartphone in survey research: experiments for time use data; 2013; Fernee, H., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Exploring Response Differences between Face-to-Face and Web Surveys: A Qualitative Comparative Analysis...; 2013; Bennink, M., Moors, G., Gelissen, J.
- Testing the Validity of Gender Ideology Items by Implementing Probing Questions ; 2013; Behr, D., Braun, M., Kaczmirek, L., Bandilla, W.
- Disentangling Mode-Specific Selection and Measurement Bias in Social Surveys; 2012; Buelens, B., van der Laan, J., Schouten, B., Klausch, L. T., van der Brakel, J., Burger, J.
- Sensitive topics in PC Web and mobile web surveys: Is there a difference?; 2012; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Global market research 2012; 2012
- Online Surveys 2.0; 2012; Elferink, R.
- Especially for You: Motivating Respondents in an Internet Panel by Offering Tailored Questions; 2012; Oudejans, M.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- 28 Questions to Help Buyers of Online Samples; 2012
- A Choice in Mode: A Solution for Increasing Response Rates of Hard-to-Survey Populations?; 2012; Haan, M., Ongena, Y. P.
- Better Answers to Basic Questions: Enhancing the accuracy of online reach and audience metrics; 2012; van Dam, P. H., van Ossenbruggen, R., Voorend, R.
- Probabilistic survey questions and incorrect answers: Retirement income replacement rates; 2012; van Santen, P., Alessie, R., Kalwij, A.
- Building Your Own Online Panel Via E-Mail and Other Digital Media; 2012; Toepoel, V.
- Disfluencies and Gaze Aversion in Unreliable Responses to Survey Questions; 2012; Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G., Dijkstra, W., Ongena, Y. P.
- Recruiting A Probability Sample For An Online Panel: Effects Of Contact Mode, Incentives, And Information...; 2012; Scherpenzeel, A., Toepoel, V.
- Do Questions about Watching Internet Pornography Make People Watch Internet Pornography? A Comparison...; 2012; Peter, J., Valkenburg, P. M.
- “I think I know what you did last summer” Improving data quality in panel surveys; 2012; Lugtig, P. J.
- Tailoring the design of e-questionnaires to the response process: About audit trails and other methods...; 2012; Morren, M., Snijkers, G.
- Counting and Measuring Online: The Quality of Internet Surveys; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Time use data collection using Smartphones: Results of a pilot study among experienced and inexperienced...; 2012; Scherpenzeel, A., Sonck, N., Fernee, H.
- “What a waste of time!” vs “Why not participate?” On sentiments by business...; 2012; Torres van Grinsven, V., Snijkers, G., Daas, P.
- Challenges and pitfalls of measuring wages via web surveys - some explorations; 2012; Steinmetz, S., Bianchi, A., Tijdens, K., Biffignandi, S.
- Measuring work activities and skill requirements of occupations: Experiences from a European pilot study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Innovation in online data collection for scientific research: the Dutch MESS project; 2012; Das, M.
- Clinicians’ Perspectives on a Web-Based System for Routine Outcome Monitoring in Old-Age Psychiatry...; 2012; Veerbeek, M. A., Voshaar, R. C. O., Pot, A. M.
- Question or Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode surveys: A Cross-cultural study in the Netherlands, Germany,...; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D., Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hox, J.
- Web Surveys: Methodological Problems and Research Perspectives; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Bethlehem, J.