Web Survey Bibliography
Derived from cognitive psychology and adapted to the context of questionnaire development, cognitive interviewing methods have been extensively used to pre-test survey questions. Usually the researcher/questionnaire designer uses cognitive interviewing methods in the questionnaire development stage as a qualitative tool to test specific questions by establishing whether respondents interpret the questions consistently and in the way intended (comprehension). The method is also used to explore recall, judgment and response issues.
As part of a wider Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) grant funded project, which involved experiments comparing respondents’ answers to survey questions in different modes, cognitive interviews were used as a follow up methodology to explore in more detail how mode effects happen even if they are not directly observed. Selected respondents from the quantitative experiments took part in cognitive interviews where questions were administered face to face, by phone and by web, and were followed by a retrospective think aloud. The focus of the think-aloud (used in combination with some pre-scripted probes) was not on what respondents understood by certain words or answer categories but was instead on how they had gone about answering questions in the different data collection modes.
The paper will focus on the methods used in these mixed modes cognitive interviews which involved an element of mode mimicking, how the interviews differed from standard cognitive interviewing for question testing, identifying the benefits and limitations of the approach taken, and drawing out lessons for using think aloud methods in unusual ways.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Mixed mode surveys (858)
- How Representative are Google Consumer Surveys?: Results From an Analysis of a Google Consumer Survey...; 2013; Krishnamurty, P., Tanenbaum, E., Stern, M. J.
- Using Multiple Modes in Follow-Up Contacts in Random-Digit Dialing Surveys; 2013; Chowdhury, P. P.
- Impacts of Unit Nonresponse in a Recontact Study of Youth; 2013; Mendelson, J., Viera Jr., L.
- Multi-Mode Survey Administration: Does Offering Multiple Modes at Once Depress Response Rates?; 2013; Newsome, J., Levin, K., Langetieg, P., Vigil, M., Sebastiani, M.
- Utilizing the Web in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Venkataraman, L.
- Changing to a Mixed-Mode Design: The Role of Mode in Respondents’ Decisions About Participation...; 2013; Collins, D., Mitchell, M., Toomes, M.
- Comparing the Effects of Mode Design on Response Rate, Representativeness, and Cost Per Complete in...; 2013; Tully, R.
- Internet Response for the Decennial Census – 2012 National Census Test; 2013; Reiser, C.
- The Effects of Pushing Web in a Mixed-Mode Establishment Data Collection; 2013; Ellis, C.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- Mode Matters: Evaluating Response Comparability in a Mixed-Mode Survey; 2013; Bowyer, B. T., Rogowski, J. C.
- Research Intentions are Nothing without Technology: Mixed-Method Web Surveys and the Coberen Wall of...; 2013; Ganassali, S., Rodriguez-Santos, C.
- On the Use of Latent Variable Models to Detect Differences in the Interpretation of Vague Quantifiers...; 2013; Griffin, J.
- Designing and conducting business surveys; 2013; Snijkers, G.,Araldsen, G., , Willimack, D. K.Jones, J.
- Using a web-based survey tool to undertake a Delphi study: Application for nurse education research; 2013; Gill, F. J., Leslie, G. D., Grech, C., Latour, J. M.
- Using Online and Paper Surveys - The Effectiveness of Mixed-Mode Methodology for Populations Over 50; 2013; De Bernardo, D. H., Curtis, A.
- Online Mixed Mode Surveying using a Responsive Design; 2013; Kissau, K.
- E-questionnaire in cross-sectional household surveys; 2013; Karaganis, M.
- Mixed-mode including web: Recent developments at Statistics Netherlands; 2013; Luiten, A., Schouten, B.
- Measurement effects in mixed-mode panel surveys; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Measurement issues in web surveys: An overview of opportunities and challenges; 2013; Calderwood, L.
- Experiences from a probability-based Internet panel: Sample, recruitment and participation; 2013; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population: An Overview; 2013; Lynn, P.
- The Science of Web Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- The Use of Mixed Methods in Organizational Communication Research; 2013; Salem, P. J.
- Online Instruments, Data Collection, and Electronic Measurements: Organizational Advancements; 2013; Bocarnea, M. C., Reynolds, R. A., Baker, J. D.
- Using paradata to explore item-level response times in surveys; 2012; Couper, M. P., Kreuter, F.
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012 part 2; 2012
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012; 2012
- Sampling for Single and Multi-Mode Surveys using Address-Based Sampling; 2012; O'Muircheartaigh, C.
- Mode and non-response effects and their treatment; 2012; Chrysanthopoulos, S., Georgostathi, A.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Choosing a Data Collection Approach: Mixed Mode Design Experiences in Statistics Finland; 2012; Taskinen, P., Kiianmaa, N.
- Does mentioning "Some People" and "Other People" in an opinion question improve...; 2012; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Specific mixed-mode methodology to reach sensory disabled people in quantitative surveys; 2012; Fontaine, S.
- A Choice in Mode: A Solution for Increasing Response Rates of Hard-to-Survey Populations?; 2012; Haan, M., Ongena, Y. P.
- WEBDATANET: web-based data-collection methodological challenges, solutions and implementations. Action...; 2012; de Pedraza, P.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Undercoverage; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Combining Mail and E-Mail Contacts to Facilitate Participation in Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2012; Israel, G. D.
- Effects of E-Mailed Versus Mailed Invitations and Incentives on Response Rates, Data Quality, and Costs...; 2012; Dykema, J., Stevenson, J., Klein, L., Kim, Y., Day, B.
- Costs and Errors in Fixed and Mobile Phone Surveys; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N.
- “I think I know what you did last summer” Improving data quality in panel surveys; 2012; Lugtig, P. J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 4: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2012; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., Kaminska, O., Uhrig, S.C. N., Brown, M., Calderwood,...
- The Propensity of Older Respondents to Participate in a General Purpose Survey; 2012; Lynn, P.