Web Survey Bibliography
When they fill out a questionnaire, the respondents mobilize their experience on the theme of the survey but they also take position towards the questionnaire. Understanding how a questionnaire is perceived by respondents is thus necessary in order to improve the survey methodology and to better appreciate the collected data. Open-ended questions are an appropriate way to have a better image of the understanding, the impact and the relevance of the questionnaire.
The paper will take the example of the ELVIRE survey, studying the languages used nationally and internationally by researchers working in the French public research field. ELVIRE targeted all researchers and Ph.D. students working in all the public research units. Almost 8,900 respondents filled out the self-administered Web questionnaire.
This questionnaire included large place for free comments and finished on an open-ended question asking the opinion of the respondents on the questionnaire. This provides an extensive corpus of comments, thoughts and judgements on the survey.
We will compare different approaches: post-coding and multidimensional textual statistics with comparisons with the distribution of words. We will thus investigate what this kind of open-ended questions, analysed in relation to the socio-demographic characteristics of the respondents, could teach us about their perception of: – The topics broached by the survey and the questions’ relevance; – The ideological position and the objectives of the survey; – The design and the implementation of the questionnaire.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Education (152)
- Eliminate Item Non-Response: The Effect of Forcing Respondents to Answer in Web Surveys; 2013; Leach, L. M.
- Building a History: Collecting Comprehensive Employment Data in a Web-Based, Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Cominole, M., Bennett, C., Caves, L.
- Use of Drag-and-Drop Rating Scales in Web Surveys and Its Effect on Survey Reports and Data Quality; 2013; Kunz, T.
- The Impact on Web Survey Drop-Out Rates of Page Number Progress Indicators Used Throughout, Near the...; 2013; Walston, J. T., Cunningham, B., Medway, R.
- Utilizing the Web in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Venkataraman, L.
- On the Use of Latent Variable Models to Detect Differences in the Interpretation of Vague Quantifiers...; 2013; Griffin, J.
- Using interactive feedback to enhance response quality in Web surveys. The case of open-ended questions...; 2013; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Reducing Response Order Effects in Check-All-That-Apply Questions by Use of Dynamic Tooltip Instructions...; 2013; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Ethics, privacy and data security in web-based course evaluation; 2013; Salaschek, M., Meese, C., Thielsch, M.
- Speed (necessarily) doesn’t kill: A new way to detect survey satisficing; 2012; Garland, P. et al.
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Boosting Web pick-up Rates by referring to Compliance Principles ; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Haraldsen, G., Sundvoll, A.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Prenotification, Incentives, and Survey Modality: An Experimental Test of Methods to Increase Survey...; 2012; Tepper, J. R., Jacob, B.
- Does survey experience affect respondents’ reported level of satisfaction?; 2012; Schultz Christensen, A., Ladenburg, J.
- Nonresponse and Online Student Evaluations of Teaching: Understanding the Inﬂuence of Salience...; 2012; Adams, M. J. D., Umbach, P. D.
- What are the Odds? Lotteries versus Cash Incentives. Response Rates, Cost and Data Quality for a Web...; 2012; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Klein, L., Cyffka, K., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Exploring the impact of animation-based questionnaire on conducting a web-based educational survey and...; 2012; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Effects of number of response options in web surveys: The role of verbal labels; 2012; Thorsdottir, F., Fuchs, M., Jonsdottir, J.
- Asking Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: An Experimental Comparison of the Randomized Response...; 2012; Diekmann, A., Hoeglinger, M., Jann, B.
- Use of incentives and web-based administration for surveying student alcohol and substance use in an...; 2012; Onoye, J. M., Goebert, D., Nishimura, S.
- Toward wiser public judgment; 2011; Yankelovich, D., Friedman, W.
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- A course is a course is a course: Factor invariance in student evaluation of online, blended and face...; 2011; Dziuban, C. D., Moskal, P.
- A National Profile of Teacher Education Faculty: The Construction of an Online Survey; 2011; Graber, K. C., Erwin, H., Woods, A. M., Rhoades, J., Zhu, W.
- How do Respondents Perceive a Questionnaire? The Contribution of Open-ended Questions; 2011; Markou, E., Garnier, B.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Examining Response Rates and Patterns in a Multimode Experiment: A Study of Department Chairs/Heads...; 2011; Foster, K. N., Gaughan, M.
- Exploring Visual Design Effects In Web Survey Questions. An Experimental Study Using Animated Answer...; 2011; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Display Matters: A Test of Visual Display Options in a Web-Based Survey.; 2011; Romano Bergstrom, J. C., Chen, J. M., Gilbert, T. R., Jans, M.
- Minimizing Item Nonresponse in a School-based Web Survey of High School Students.; 2011; Burns, L., Dever, J.
- Which Technologies Do Respondents Use in Online Surveys – An International Comparison?; 2011; Kaczmirek, L., Behr, D., Bandilla, W.
- Mode Effect Analysis - Paper Respondents vs. Web Respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2011; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- An experiment to test the feasibility and quality of a web-based questionnaire of teachers; 2011; Tepper, J. R.
- Sponsor Prominence and Responses Patterns to an Online Survey; 2011; Boulianne, J. S., Klofstad, C. A., Basson, D.Boulianne, S. J.
- The weirdest people in the world?; 2010; Heine, S. J., Henrich, J., Norenzayan, A.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Web Surveys when Databases have Incomplete Email Records: The Impact of Modifying the Method of Respondent...; 2010; Elasmar, M. G.
- An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers; 2010; Jacob, R., Scott, L., Rowan, B.
- Mode Effect Analysis: Paper respondents vs. Web respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2010; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- L’uso di Internet nella ricerca sociale: vantaggi e svantaggi di una web survey; 2010; Pandolfini, V.
- The impact of incentives and interview methods on response quantity and quality in diary- and booklet...; 2010; Bonke, J., Fallesen, P.
- Color red in web-based knowledge testing; 2010; Gnambs, T., , Batinic, B.Appel, M.
- Exploring the feasibility of an online contextualised animation-based questionnaire for educational...; 2010; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Does Visual Appeal Matter? Effects of Web Survey Aesthetics on Survey Quality; 2010; Mahon-Haft, T., Dillman, D. A.
- Differences in responses to Web and paper surveys among school professionals; 2010; Yetter, G., Capaccioli, K.
- Web-based versus paper-based data collection for the evaluation of teaching activity: empirical evidence...; 2010; Lalla, M., Ferrari, D.
- Response format effects on measurement of employment; 2009; Thomas, R. K., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- College Experiences Survey: Methodological Summary. Final Report; 2009; DesRoches, D., Hall, J. W., Santos, B.