Web Survey Bibliography
Temporary work is characterized by heterogeneity which often refers to temporary employees’ different motives for accepting temporary employment. Previous research suggests that these motives may be an important element in explaining differences in temporary employees’ well-being. In many studies, motives are predominantly considered as a dichotomy between voluntary and involuntary temporary work, e.g. by asking whether the employee would prefer an open-ended contract or not. However, offering dichotomized response categories may easily lead to too narrow view on motives.
Focus of this presentation is to clarify to what extent do open-ended questions about temporary employees’ motives alter ones understanding about responses given to closed questions. The main question is whether motives should be understood in another way than as a dichotomy. Research is conducted by analyzing two sets of data collected from two Finnish universities in 2008. First dataset consist of a web questionnaire (N=1225) and the second dataset is an additional open-ended questionnaire (N=196). The former dataset is based mainly on closed questions including few open-ended response categories; the latter includes open-ended questions and it was collected from a group of web questionnaire respondents. Preliminary results indicate that open-ended questions on motives are answered in a somewhat different way, e.g. dichotomous motive seems not to be valid category since temporary work may be a voluntary and involuntary choice at the same time. The material addressed in this presentation forms part of my ongoing PhD project and is also a part of a Academy of Finland funded research project on temporary work.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Finland (25)
- The comparability of Don't Know answers between CATI and CAWI modes; 2013; Pohjanpaa, K., Jarvensivu, M.
- A mixed-mode survey tackling against an increasing rate of nonresponse; 2013; Jokinen, M.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- Choosing a Data Collection Approach: Mixed Mode Design Experiences in Statistics Finland; 2012; Taskinen, P., Kiianmaa, N.
- The Usage of a Cloud Service as an Effective Way of Sharing Cognitive and Usability Test Information; 2012; Rouhunkoski, J., Godenhjelm, P.
- Automatic Forwarding on Web Surveys – Some Outlines and Remarks; 2012; Selkaelae, A.
- Measuring risk online--feasibility of using FINDRISC in an online workplace survey; 2012; Gyberg, V., Hasson, D., Tuomilehto, J., Rydén, L.
- Open-ended questions in the context of temporary work research; 2011; Siponen, K.
- Testing a single mode vs a mixed mode design; 2011; Laaksonen, S.
- A mixed mode pilot on consumer barometer; 2011; Taskinen, P., Simpanen, M.
- Features of the Z-scoring method in graphical two-dimensional web surveys: the case of ZEF; 2011; Selkälä, A., Ronkainen, S., Alasaarela, E.
- Methodological and Ethical Dilemmas of Archiving Qualitative Data; 2010; Kuula, A.
- Asking Factual Knowledge Questions: Reliability in Web-Based, Passive Sampling Surveys ; 2009; Elo, K.
- Collecting Customer Satisfaction Data With Web Surveys; 2009; Vuorensola, L.
- Reducing Nonresponse by SMS Reminders in Mail Surveys; 2007; Virtanen, V., Sirkiä, T., Jokiranta, V.
- Fitting disposition codes to mobile phone surveys: experiences from studies in Finland, Slovenia and...; 2007; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Vehovar, V., Kuusela, V., Piekarski, L., Steeh, C. G.
- Mobile Phones - Influence on Telephone Surveys; 2006; Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Trust, Identity, and the Effects of Voting Technologies on Voting Behavior; 2005; Oostveen, A. M., Besselaar, P.
- Web surveying academics in seven European countries: challenges encountered; 2005; Smeenk, S., van Selm, M., Eisinga, R.
- Survey Quality and Mobile Phones; 2005; Kuusela, V., Notkola, V.
- Egg Consumption Patterns and Salmonella Risk in Finland; 2004; Lievonen, S., Havulinna, A. S., Maijala, R.
- Mobile Phones as a Survey Tool; 2004; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M., Kuusela, V.
- Calculating outcome rates for mobile phone surveys. A proposal of a modified AAPOR standard and its...; 2004; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Piekarski, L., Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Steeh, C. G.
- E-voting: participation, turn out, and digital divide; 2004; Oostveen, A.-M., Besselaar, P.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.