Web Survey Bibliography
During the last decade, new social realities, like the social networks, urged social research methodology to reconsider many techniques in order to face the new reality. As a consequence, a new kind of survey has been developed, exploiting the Net’s power and
involving internet users: the “e-survey”. One of the main challenges of e-surveys is represented by the sampling procedure: this one needs to be reconsidered in order to avoid the risk of being biased and the lack of scientific accountability. Our work will concentrate on Facebook, one among the most famous social networks.
In the first part, the paper provides a review of the major available sampling techniques, by highlighting and underlining their strengths and weaknesses, especially in Facebook perspective. Afterwards, the paper illustrates some proposal of Facebook sampling techniques.
First of all, Facebook sampling techniques can be divided into two groups:
1) techniques aimed at sampling the whole Facebook population
2) techniques aimed at sampling known groups (Facebook subpopulation).
In our opinion, one of the most problematic issues on Facebook surveys concerns the contact strategy that should be adopted in order to maximize the response rate. In particular, the difficulty arises in the first contact strategy: different strategies can be identified. The respondent can be contacted through:
- an individual researcher’s profile, created ad - hoc;
- an impersonal profile regarding the Research Institute or the survey title.
Despite all, we would like to do a very important remark. We can use a Facebook sampling method when the respondent population and the target Facebook population are quite the same.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography (6390)
- An Empirical Investigation of the Role of the Email Contact in Web Survey Response Rates; 2012; Hsu, H.-Y., Lai, Y.-H., Chin, H.-Y.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Mode and non-response effects and their treatment; 2012; Chrysanthopoulos, S., Georgostathi, A.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Improving the quality of complex surveys: The case of the EU Labour Force Survey ; 2012; van der Valk, J.
- Pros and cons of Internet based User Satisfaction Surveys; 2012; Consoli, A., Matsulevits, L.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Between demand and reality: Ensuring efficiency and quality in pretesting questionnaires; 2012; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- How to provide high data quality in online-questionnaires: Setting guidelines in design; 2012; Tries, S., Nebel, S., Blanke, K.
- Boosting Web pick-up Rates by referring to Compliance Principles ; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Haraldsen, G., Sundvoll, A.
- Choosing a Data Collection Approach: Mixed Mode Design Experiences in Statistics Finland; 2012; Taskinen, P., Kiianmaa, N.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Does mentioning "Some People" and "Other People" in an opinion question improve...; 2012; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Digital Divides: A connectivity continuum for the United States. Data from the 2011 Current Population...; 2012; File, T.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- How Should Debriefing Be Undertaken in Web-Based Studies? Findings From a Randomized Controlled Trial...; 2012; McCambridge, J., Kypri, K., Wilson, A.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- Best practices in data cleaning: A complete guide to everything you need to do before and after collecting...; 2012; Osborne, J. W.
- Benchmarking for better surveys; 2012; Nallan, S.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- Adult gadget ownership over time (2006-2012); 2012
- Subjective Well-being Of Spanish Workers: Continuous Voluntary Web Survey Examination; 2012; de Pedraza, P., Guzi, M.
- 28 Questions to Help Buyers of Online Samples; 2012
- 2010 ACS Content Test Evaluation Report Covering Computer and Internet ; 2012; Shin, H. B.
- Specific mixed-mode methodology to reach sensory disabled people in quantitative surveys; 2012; Fontaine, S.
- Response Mode Choice and the Hard-to-Interview in the American Community Survey; 2012; Nichols, E. M., Horwitz, R., Guarino Tancreto, J.
- Recruiting in an Internet panel using respondent driven sampling; 2012; Schonlau, M.
- A Choice in Mode: A Solution for Increasing Response Rates of Hard-to-Survey Populations?; 2012; Haan, M., Ongena, Y. P.
- The Feasibility of Conducting a Web Survey Using Respondent Driven Sampling among Transgenders in the...; 2012; Kappelhof, J.
- The role of topic interest and topic salience in online panel web surveys.; 2012; Keusch, F.
- Multi-Language Multi-Continent B2B Community Panel: How B2B research can effectively span the world; 2012; Morden, M., Accomando, E.
- Can Survey Gaming Techniques Cross Continents? Examining cross cultural reactions to creative questioning...; 2012; Puleston, J.
- Facing The Future Webcams as a survey tool in China; 2012; Gordon, A., Llewellyn, T., Gu, E.
- Device Diversity: Understanding the complexity of varied devices for taking surveys – Case study...; 2012; Pearson, C., Backlund, K., Veling, L., Tsvelik, M., Jehoel, S.
- Research Goes Mobile: Findings from initial smartphone application research; 2012; Dubreuil, C., Joubert, S.
- Research in the Mobile Mindset: Exploring the unexplored in the mobile research space; 2012; Willems, A., Veris, E., Verhaeghe, A.
- Better Answers to Basic Questions: Enhancing the accuracy of online reach and audience metrics; 2012; van Dam, P. H., van Ossenbruggen, R., Voorend, R.
- Rules of engagement: The war against poorly engaged respondents - guidelines for elimination; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Reality check in the digital age: The relationship between what we ask and what people actually do; 2012; Hofmeyr, J., Louw, A.
- Website Versus Traditional Survey Comments: Do they tell the same story?; 2012; Brandt, R., House, M.
- Dimensions of Online Survey Data Quality What really matters?; 2012; Puleston, J., Eggers, M.
- WEBDATANET: web-based data-collection methodological challenges, solutions and implementations. Action...; 2012; de Pedraza, P.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Use of Response Propensities; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Weighting Adjustment Techniques; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Self-Selection; 2012; Bethlehem, J.,Biffignandi, S.
- The Problem of Undercoverage; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Designing a Web Survey Questionnaire; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.