Web Survey Bibliography
Objective: To assess validity of a self-administered web-based migraine-questionnaire in diagnosing migraine aura for the use of epidemiological and genetic studies.
Methods: Self-reported migraineurs enrolled via the LUMINA website and completed a web-based questionnaire on headache and aura symptoms, after fulfilling screening criteria. Diagnoses were calculated using an algorithm based on the International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-2), and semi-structured telephone-interviews were performed for final diagnoses. Logistic regression generated a prediction rule for aura. Algorithm-based diagnoses and predicted diagnoses were subsequently compared to the interview-derived diagnoses.
Results: In 1 year, we recruited 2397 migraineurs, of which 1067 were included in the validation. A seven-question subset provided higher sensitivity (86% vs. 45%), slightly lower specificity (75% vs. 95%), and similar positive predictive value (86% vs. 88%) in assessing aura when comparing with the ICHD-2-based algorithm.
Conclusions: This questionnaire is accurate and reliable in diagnosing migraine aura among self-reported migraineurs and enables detection of more aura cases with low false-positive rate.
Sage Journals Online database (full text)/(abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2011 (567)
- Developing Electronic Questionnaire Guidelines: Issues and Challenges in a Changing Environment; 2011; Cote, A.-M., Kelly, P., Lawrence, D.
- Triton: a general tool for data collection and micro editing; 2011; Erikson, J.
- A Generalized System for Aided Development and Monitoring of Web Surveys; 2011; Torelli, R.
- Ethical issues in Internet research; 2011; Hoerger, M., Currell, C.
- Using survey data collection as a tool for improving the survey process; 2011; Biffignandi, S., Perani, G., Laureti, A.
- Essential methods for design based sample surveys; 2011; Pfeffermann, D., Rao, C. R.
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- A picnic in the field; negotiating the presentation of the self in researcher/respondent relationships...; 2011; Parsons, J.
- The benefits and constraints of e-mail interviews and discussions as methods of accessing valid data; 2011; Roberts, A.
- Is There a Quick Fix for Open-ended Questions? A Comparison of Qualitative Analysis Techniques; 2011; Tesfaye, C.
- The Impact of Open-Ended Questions: A Multivariate Study of Respondent Engagement; 2011; Gittelman, S. H.
- “You are Invited to Participate”: Challenges of Applying Mixed Survey Methods to Assess...; 2011; Chew, F.
- Literacy and Data Quality in Self-Administered Surveys; 2011; Smyth, J. D., Olson, K.
- Catch Them When You Can: Speeders and Their Role in Online Data Quality; 2011; Gutierrez, C., Wells, T., Rao, K., Kurzynski, D.
- Effects of Post-Incentives on Response Rates, Costs, and Response Quality in a Web Survey of College...; 2011; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Cyffka, K., Klein, L., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Observed Differences in the Placement and Wording of Neutral Response Options in Web Surveys: An Experiment...; 2011; Walton, L., Cobb, C. L., DiSogra, C.
- Effects of response format on requalification for recontact studies; 2011; Thomas, R. K.
- A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress indicators in Web surveys; 2011; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Yang, Y.
- Does mentioning "some people" and "other people" in a survey question increase the...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Do not track gathers momentum; 2011; Stark, D.
- “Don’t know” the difference - An experimental comparison between Web and CATI; 2011; Schielicke, A.-M., Degen, M.
- Display resolution; 2011
- A Survey Stopping Rule Based on Weighting for Unit Nonresponse; 2011; Lewis, T.
- Classic Inspirations for Social Research Methodology in the time of Online Access Panels ; 2011; Jeřábek, H.
- Five Things You Should Know About Mobile Data Collection; 2011; Pingitore, G.
- Mixed Methods - Analyzing Open-Ended Comments in a Quantitative Employee Survey; 2011; Lawton, L., Broege, N.
- Changing Survey Methods (Discussion); 2011; Lavrakas, P. J.
- Code of standards and ethics for survey research; 2011
- Causes of survey incompletes: Why panelists say they abandon surveys; 2011; Henning, J.
- Canadian online panels: Similar or different?; 2011; Chan, P., Ambrose, D.
- Blend, balance, and stabilize respondent sources; 2011; Eggers, M., Drake, E.
- Beyond data stability: Rising above quality concerns; 2011
- Background - QSOAP; 2011
- Audience evolution: New technologies and the transformation of media audiences; 2011; Napoli, P. M.
- Assessing personality traits through response latencies using item response theory; 2011; Ranger, J., Ortner, T. M.
- American public opinion: Its origins, content, and impact (8th Edition); 2011; Erikson, R. S., Tedin, K. L.
- Amazon's Mechanical Turk. A new source of inexpensive, yet high quality, data?; 2011; Buhrmester, M., Kwang, T., Gosling, S. D.
- A theory of public opinion. A reprint of a classic book with a new introduction by H. Lee Cheek, Jr.; 2011; Wilson, F.
- Clarifying Survey Questions; 2011; Redline, C. D.
- A new representative standard for online research: Conquering the challenge of the dirty little "...; 2011; Gittelman, S., Trimarchi, E., Fawson, B.
- 2011 Skills for Life Survey: Headline findings ; 2011
- The place for mobile research? Multi-mode studies of major cultural events; 2011; Conry, S., Atkinson, S.
- Facial imaging: The new face of online survey research; 2011; Gordon, A., McCallum, D., Sorci, M., Llewellyn, T.
- How far is too far: Traditional, flash and gamification interfaces, and implications for the future...; 2011; Puleston, J., Malinoff, B.
- The Evolution of Edits in the Canadian Census of Population Online Questionnaires; 2011; Laroche, D.
- The Main Innovations of Data Editing and Imputation for the 2010 Italian Agricultural Census ; 2011; Bianchi, G., Lipsi, R. M., Ruocco, G., Salvatore, M. A.
- A classification of question characteristics relevant to measurement (error) and consequently important...; 2011; Campanelli, P., Nicolaas, G., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Hope, S., Blake, M., Gray, M.
- Hrh remuneration: Comparing wage levels, ranking And dispersion of 16 occupations In the health workforce...; 2011; Tijdens, K., de Vries, D.
- Wages worldwide results and measurement issues from the multi-country. WageIndicator web-survey ; 2011; van Klaveren, M., Tijdens, K.
- Text string matching to measure occupations in web-surveys; 2011; Tijdens, K.