Web Survey Bibliography
Objective: We aimed to compare data quality from online and postal questionnaires and to evaluate the practicality of these different questionnaire modes in a cancer sample.
Methods: Participants in a study investigating the psychosocial sequelae of testicular cancer could choose to complete a postal or online version of the study questionnaire. Data quality was evaluated by assessing sources of nonobservational errors such as participant nonresponse, item nonresponse and sampling bias. Time taken and number of reminders required for questionnaire return were used as indicators of practicality.
Results: Participant nonresponse was significantly higher among participants who chose the postal questionnaire. The proportion of questionnaires with missing items and the mean number of missing items did not differ significantly by mode. A significantly larger proportion of tertiary-educated participants and managers/professionals completed the online questionnaire. There were no significant differences in age, relationship status, employment status, country of birth or language spoken by completion mode. Compared with postal questionnaires, online questionnaires were returned significantly more quickly and required significantly fewer reminders.
Conclusions: These results demonstrate that online questionnaire completion can be offered in a cancer sample without compromising data quality. In fact, data quality from online questionnaires may be superior due to lower rates of participant nonresponse. Investigators should be aware of potential sampling bias created by more highly educated participants and managers/professionals choosing to complete online questionnaires. Besides this issue, online questionnaires offer an efficient method for collecting high-quality data, with faster return and fewer reminders.
Wiley Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography (6801)
- Measurement Invariance; 2013; Muthen, B. O., Oberski, D., Klausch, L. T., Asparouhov, T.
- History of Technology in Research; 2013; Sahu, C.
- Comparing Web-based with Mail Survey Administration of the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers...; 2013; Bergeson , S. C., Gray, J., Ehrmantraut, L. A., Hays, R. D.
- Online survey of insolvency professionals undertaken for TSO. Summary analysis prepared for survey participants...; 2013; Tribe, J., Purdy, D.
- Data Collection in Sociolinguistics: Methods and Applications; 2013; Mallinson, C., Childs, B., Van Herk, G.
- Cultural Challenges in Online Survey Data Collection; 2013; Baron, N. S.
- Effect of survey mode on response patterns: comparison of face-to-face and self-administered modes in...; 2013; Illemann Christensen, A., Ekholm, O., Gluemer, C., Juel, K.
- Online Survey Data Quality and its Implication for Willingness-to-Pay: A Cross-Country Comparison; 2013; Gao, Z., House, L., Jing, X.
- The Online Statistical Survey As An Alternative To Traditional Methods; 2013; Dinu, S., Nitoiu, M., Pomazan, C.
- Self-Rated Health Assessed by Web Versus Mail Modes in a Mixed Mode Survey: The Digital Divide Effect...; 2013; Shim, J.-M., Shin, E., Johnson, T. P.
- Online Survey Design and Development: A Janus-Faced Approach; 2013; Lauer, C., McLeod, M., Blythe, S.
- Survey Sidekick: Learning & designing scientifically sound surveys; 2013; Hsiao, I.-H., Malhotra, M., Joo, J., Chae, H. S., Natriello, G.
- Satisficing in Web Surveys: Implications for Data Quality and Strategies for Reduction; 2013; Zhang, C.
- A probability-based web panel for UK policy research: some initial thoughts from a Government survey...; 2013; Littlechild, J.
- Scientific impact of the MESS Project: A brief overview; 2013; Das, M.
- A probability-based web panel for the UK: What could it look like?; 2013; Nicolaas, G.
- Current UK provision of web panaels and Omnibus; 2013; Lagorio, C.
- Feasibility of Using Web to Survey at a Sample of Addresses: a UK ESS experiment; 2013; Villar, A.
- What works? Getting the General Population To Go Online in a Mixed Mode Local Health Survey; 2013; Frigault, L.-R., Azzou, S. A. K., Molloy, E. J. K., Ammarguellat, F., Couture, M., Gratton, J.
- ONS Plans for Web Data Collection in LFS; 2013; Lound, C.
- On-line questionnaire completion time and personality test scores; 2013; Furnham, A., Hyde, G., Trickey, G.
- The Handbook of Questionnaire Design; 2013; Krosnick, J. A., Fabrigar, L. R.
- ESSnet Data: Collection for Social Surveys using Multiple Modes; 2013; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- Using Technology to Conduct Questionnaire Evaluations with Hard to Reach Populations ; 2013; Ridolfo, H., Ott, K.
- Recent Experiences with Electronic Questionnaire Testing at Statistics Canada ; 2013; Lawrence, D.
- Usability and Accessibility Guidelines for Web Sites and Web Surveys ; 2013; Ashenfelter, K. T.
- Questionnaire development & testing in the 21st century: What are the challenges?; 2013; Collins, D.
- Improved Dialogue Features in Web Surveys?; 2013; Lund, K.
- Evaluation of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design Experiment with Physicians on Response Rates, Costs, and...; 2013; Geisen, E., Olmsted, M. G., Murphy, J., Stanley, M.
- When We Do Not Know the Difference – the Level of DK in Different Question Formats and Different...; 2013; Schwarzer, S., Zeglovits, E., Connor, D. S.
- New Versus Old Technologies: An Examination of Usability and Cognitive Issues Across Modes Among Respondents...; 2013; Nichols, E. M., Goerman, P. L., Jurgenson, N., King, T., Olmsted, M. G., Childs, J. H.
- Factors Influencing Survey Participation Rates on an Online, Probability-Based Research Panel; 2013; Wiest, D.
- Effects of Self-Awareness on Disclosure During Skype Survey Interviews; 2013; Feuer, S., Schober, M. F.
- The Effect of Differential Mailing Methodologies on Response Rates: Testing Advanced Notices, Pre-Recorded...; 2013; Pens, Y., Cantave, M. A., Gentry, R. J.
- The Influence of Respondent Incentives on Item Nonresponse and Measurement Error in a Web Survey; 2013; Felderer, B., Kreuter, F., Winter, J.
- A Multi-Survey, Multi-Methodological Assessment of Perception of Need and Quality of Life: Opinion Polling...; 2013; Levy, D.,
- Eliminate Item Non-Response: The Effect of Forcing Respondents to Answer in Web Surveys; 2013; Leach, L. M.
- The Influence of Answer Box Format, Personal Topic Interest, and Respondent Characteristics on Response...; 2013; Keusch, F.
- Using Motivating Prompts to Increase Responses to Open-ended Questions in Mixed-mode Surveys: Where...; 2013; Israel, G. D.
- How Open Are We to the Open-Ended Questions?; 2013; Mamedova, S.
- Will Snowball Sampling Leave Your Data in the Cold?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Panel Attrition: Separating Stayers, Sleepers and Other Types of Drop-Out in an Internet Panel; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Building a History: Collecting Comprehensive Employment Data in a Web-Based, Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Cominole, M., Bennett, C., Caves, L.
- Augmenting Paper Diaries With Phone and Web Data Retrieval: Is it Effective?; 2013; Wargelin, L., Minser, J., Homer, Z., Fleeman, A., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Alone in a Group: Comparison of Effects of a Group-Administered Paper-Pencil Survey Versus an Individually...; 2013; Higgins, W. B., Barlas, F. M., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on Socially Undesirable Responses to Open Ended Questions: Online vs. Paper...; 2013; Hedberg, E., Ceasar, G., Wallace, D.
- Mode Effects in a National Establishment Survey; 2013; Daley, K., Phillips, B. T.
- Cognitive Interviewing in Online Modes: a Comparison of Data Collected in Second Life and Skype; 2013; Swicegood, J. E., Head, B., Dean, E., Keating, M.
- Mobile Browser Web Surveys: Testing Response Rates, Data Quality and Best Practices; 2013; McGeeney, K., Marlar, J.
- Comparing Tablet, Computer, and Smartphone Survey Administrations; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.