Web Survey Bibliography
Background: The majority of Internet-mediated studies use measures developed as paper-and-pencil measures or face-to-face-delivered material. Previous research suggests that the equivalence between online and offline measures must be demonstrated rather than assumed.
Objective: The objective of this study was to explore the equivalence 4 measures completed in an online or offline setting.
Methods: A sample of students (n = 1969) was randomly assigned to complete 4 popular scales (the SF-12v2, the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS), the Fatigue Symptom Inventory, and a single-item fatigue measure) either online or by mail survey (pencil and paper). The response rate was 52.51% (n = 1034) and comparable between the online and offline groups.
Results: Significant differences were noted in fatigue levels between the online and offline group (P = .01) as measured by the Fatigue Symptom Inventory, with the online sample demonstrating higher levels of fatigue. Equivalency was noted for the SF-12v2, the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, and the single-item fatigue measure. Internal consistency was high except for the SF-12v2. The SF-12v2 may not be an ideal measure to use for remote administration.
Conclusions: Equivalency of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) and the Physical Component Score and Mental Component Score of the SF-12v2 for online and offline data were demonstrated. Equivalency was not demonstrated for the Fatigue Symptom Inventory. Explanations for the difference in fatigue score between the online and offline samples are unclear. Research that seeks to match samples and control for extraneous online and offline variables is called for, along with exploration of factors that may mediate the completion of questionnaires or alter the respondents’ relationship with the same, to enhance progress in this area.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - 2011 (567)
- Computer science security research and human subjects: Emerging considerations for research ethics boards...; 2013; Buchanan, E. A., Aycock, J., Dexter, S., Dittrich, D., Hvizdak, E. E.
- What is Probit; 2011
- Voice-of-the-customer marketing: A revolutionary 5-step process to create customers who care, spend,...; 2011; Roman, E.
- User agent; 2011
- Unpublisihed internal Google report on break off rates by device type; 2011; Callegaro, M.
- Toward wiser public judgment; 2011; Yankelovich, D., Friedman, W.
- The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research; 2011; Behrend, T. et al.
- The smart(phone) way to collect survey data; 2011; Stapleton, C.
- The impact of cookie deletion on site-server and ad-server metrics in Australia. An empirical comScore...; 2011
- The GfK NOP Media Efficiency Panel; 2011; Moy, C. et al.
- The changing role of address-based sampling in survey research; 2011; Iannacchione, V. G.
- Taking the pulse of public opinion: Leading and misleading indicators of the state of the nation; 2011; Bishop, G. F., Mockabee, S. T.
- Survey paradata: a review; 2011; Nicolaas, G.
- State of mobile measurement; 2011; Gluck, M.
- Some issues in the application of latent class models for questionnaire design; 2011; Biemer, P. P., Berzofsky, M.
- Self-administered mobile surveys; 2011; Bosnjak, M.
- SDSC Announces scalable, high-performance data storage cloud; 2011
- Ratings and audience measurement; 2011; Napoli, P. M.
- Randomized response models in survey sampling. Randomized response models; 2011; Hussain, Z.
- Question evaluation methods. Contributing to the science of data quality; 2011; Madans, J., Miller, K., Maitland, A., Willis, G. B.
- Online survey research: Findings, best practices, and future research. Report prepared for the Advertising...; 2011; Vannette, D.
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- Moving forward, building an ethics community (Panel statement); 2011; Kenneally, E. et al.
- Motivating voter turnout by invoking the self; 2011; Bryan, C. J. et al.
- Mobile, webmail, desktops: Where are we viewing email now?; 2011
- Measuring americans' issue priorities. A new version of the most important problem question reveals...; 2011; Yeager, D. S., Larson, S. B., Krosnick, J. A., Tompson, T.
- Mass informed consent: Evidence on upgrading democracy with polls and new media; 2011; Simon, A. F.
- Latent class analysis of survey error; 2011; Biemer, P. P.
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- Just published: Forrester Wave™ of enterprise feedback management satisfaction and loyalty solutions...; 2011; McInnes, A.
- ISER working paper 2011-31. Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Involve while you evolve. How to make mobile research work for everyone; 2011; Luck, K.
- Internet access quarterly update 2011 Q1; 2011
- In search of a new approach to measure newspaper audiences in Canada: The journey continues; 2011; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Graves, F., Gauthier, E., Charlebois, O.
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- Harvard research data security policy; 2011
- Handbook of statistical data editing and imputation; 2011; Waal, T., Pannekoek, J.; Scholtus, S.
- Handbook of parametric and nonparametric statistical procedures, 5th Edition; 2011; Sheskin, D. J.
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Going online with assessment; 2011; Burke, E. et al.
- Global market research 2011; 2011
- Focus Group Methodology: Principle and Practice; 2011; Liamputtong, P.
- External preference mapping of commercial antiaging creams based on consumers' responses to a check...; 2011; Parente, M. E., Manzoni, A. V., Ares, G.
- Exploring the digital nation. Computer and Internet use at home; 2011
- Experiments for evaluating survey questions; 2011; Krosnick, J. A.
- Evaluating the usability of personal digital assistants to collect behavioral data on adolescents with...; 2011; McClamroch, K. J
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: EB75.1 E-Communications Household Survey. Special Eurobarometer 362; 2011
- Survey Data Quality Provisions in Statistics Canada E-Questionnaire Solution: Retrospective and Perspectives...; 2011; Abiza, Y.