Web Survey Bibliography
Background: The Web offers unprecedented access to the experience of people with dementia and their care partners, but data gathered online need to be validated to be useful.
Objective: To test the construct validity of an informant Web-based data collection to assess dementia symptoms in relation to the 15-point Dependence Scale (DS).
Methods: In an online survey posted on the DementiaGuide website, care partners of people with dementia built individualized profiles from the 60-item SymptomGuide and completed a questionnaire, which included the DS and a staging tool.
Results: In the 250 profilees (155, 62% women, mean age 77 years), increasing dependence was associated with a greater chance of institutionalization. For example, no one at the lowest levels of dependence (DS score < 5, n = 33) was in long-term care, compared with half (13/25) of the profilees at the highest levels of dependence (DS score > 12) being in institutions (χ24 = 27.9, P < .001). The Web-based DS was correlated with the number of symptoms: higher DS scores were associated with a higher stage of dementia (F > 50, P < .001).
Conclusion: In an online survey, the Web-based DS showed good construct validity, potentially demonstrating how the Web can be used to learn more about dementia progression and how it relates to symptoms experienced by patients across the course of dementing illnesses. Even so, caution is needed to assure the validity of data collected online.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - USA (2156)
- The Effects of Errors in Paradata on Weighting Class Adjustments: A Simulation Study; 2013; West, B. T.
- Using Paradata to Study Response to Within-Survey Requests; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W.
- Paradata for Coverage Research ; 2013; Eckman, S.
- Improving Surveys with Paradata: Analytic Uses of Process Information; 2013; Kreuter, F.
- Theory of adaptation or survival of the fittest?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Online Fundraising Essentials, Second Edition; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- Tips for Evaluating Online Effectiveness; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- The Digital Divide: The internet and social inequality in international perspective; 2013; Ragnedda, M., Muschert, G.
- Ten questions to ask your online survey provider; 2013; Williams, D.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- Practical tools for designing and weighting survey samples; 2013; Valliant, R. L., Daver, J. A., Kreuter, F.
- Paradata in web surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Report Of The AAPOR Task Force On Non-probability sampling; 2013; Baker, R. P., Brick, J. M., Bates, N., Battaglia, M. P., Couper, M. P., Dever, J. A., Gile, K. J., Tourangeau...
- Mode Matters: Evaluating Response Comparability in a Mixed-Mode Survey; 2013; Bowyer, B. T., Rogowski, J. C.
- Methodological Considerations of Qualitative Email Interviews; 2013; Nehls, K.
- Best Practice in Online Survey Research with Sensitive Topics; 2013; Kays, K., Keith, T. L., Broughal, M. T.
- Using Web Surveys for Psychology Experiments: A Case Study in New Media Technology for Research; 2013; Peden, B. F., Tiry , A. M.
- Compared to a small, supervised lab experiment, a large, unsupervised web-based experiment on a previously...; 2013; Ryan, R. S., Wilde, M., Crist, S.
- Moving an established survey online – or not?; 2013; Barber, T., Chilvers, D., Kaul, S.
- On the Use of Latent Variable Models to Detect Differences in the Interpretation of Vague Quantifiers...; 2013; Griffin, J.
- Managing mobile research: How it's different and why it matters; 2013; Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Tucker, J., Wilding-Brown, L.
- An approach to selecting online respondents; 2013; Terhanian, G.
- By the Numbers: Theory of adaptation or survival of the fittest?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Designing and conducting business surveys; 2013; Snijkers, G.,Araldsen, G., , Willimack, D. K.Jones, J.
- Battle of the Scales: Understanding Respondent Scale Usage in the US and Abroad; 2013; Courtright, M., Pashupati, K., Pettit, F. A.
- Modular Survey Design: A Bite Size Proposal; 2013; Kelly, F., Stevens, S., Johnson, A.
- Cyborgs vs. Monsters: Assembling Modular Surveys to Create Complete Datasets; 2013; Johnson, E. P., Siluk, L., Tarraf, S.
- Do I Have Your Full Attention?; 2013; Cape, P. J.
- Does Sample Size Still Matter?; 2013; Bakken, D. G., Bond, M.
- Optimizing Surveys for Smartphones: Maximizing Response Rates While Minimizing Bias; 2013; Lattery, K., Park Bartolone, G., Saunders, T.
- Shorter Isn't Always Better; 2013; Burdein, I.
- Solving the Unintentional Mobile Challenge; 2013; Peterson, G., Mechling, J., LaFrance, J., Ham, G.
- Mobile Research Risk: What Happens to Data Quality When Respondents Use a Mobile Device for a Survey...; 2013; Baker-Prewitt, J.
- Computer science security research and human subjects: Emerging considerations for research ethics boards...; 2013; Buchanan, E. A., Aycock, J., Dexter, S., Dittrich, D., Hvizdak, E. E.
- Addressing Survey Nonresponse Issues: Implications for ATE Principal Investigators, Evaluators, and...; 2013; Welch, W. W., Barlau, A. N.
- Addressing Disclosure Concerns and Analysis Demands in a Real-Time Online Analytic System; 2013; Krenzke, T., Gentleman, J. F., Li, J., Moriarity, C.
- The General Survey System Initiative at RTI International: An Integrated System for the Collection and...; 2013; Thalji, L., Mitchell, S., Hill, C. A., Suresh, R., Speizer, H., Pratt, D.
- Consolidation and Standardization of Survey Operations at a Decentralized Federal Statistical Agency; 2013; Nealon, J., Gleaton, E.
- Examination of the equivalence of self-report survey-based paper-and-pencil and internet data collection...; 2013; Weigold, A., Weigold, I. K., Russell, E. J.
- An Assessment of Incentive Versus Survey Length Trade-offs in a Web Survey of Radiologists; 2013; Ziegenfuss, J. Y., Niederhauser, B. D., Kallmes, D., Beebe, T. J.
- Clarifying Categorical Concepts in a Web Survey.; 2013; Redline, C. D.
- Using Online and Paper Surveys - The Effectiveness of Mixed-Mode Methodology for Populations Over 50; 2013; De Bernardo, D. H., Curtis, A.
- The Design of Grids in Web Surveys; 2013; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Zhang, C.
- Survey Research; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- Understanding and Applying Research Design; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- The Science of Web Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Virtual Research Methods; 2013; Hine, C.
- Informed Consent for Web Paradata Use; 2013; Couper, M. P., Singer, E.
- The Use of Mixed Methods in Organizational Communication Research; 2013; Salem, P. J.
- The Use of E-Questionnaires in Organizational Surveys; 2013; Brender-Ilan, Y., Vinitzky, G.