Web Survey Bibliography
OBJECTIVES To describe a novel, low-cost, online health-related quality of life (HRQOL) survey that allows for automated follow-up and convenient access for patients in geographically diverse locations. Clinicians and investigators have been encouraged to use validated HRQOL instruments when reporting outcomes after radical prostatectomy.
METHODS The institutional review board approved our protocol and the use of a secure web site (http://www.SurveyMonkey.com) to send patients a collection of validated postprostatectomy HRQOL instruments by electronic mail. To assess compliance with the electronic mail format, a pilot study of cross-sectional surveys was sent to patients who presented for follow-up after robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. The response data were transmitted in secure fashion in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
RESULTS After providing written informed consent, 514 patients who presented for follow-up after robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy from March 2010 to February 2011 were sent the online survey. A total of 293 patients (57%) responded, with an average age of 60 years and a median interval from surgery of 12 months. Of the respondents, 75% completed the survey within 4 days of receiving the electronic mail, with a median completion time of 15 minutes. The total survey administration costs were limited to the web site's $200 annual fee-for-service.
CONCLUSIONS An online survey can be a low-cost, efficient, and confidential modality for assessing validated HRQOL outcomes in patients who undergo treatment of localized prostate cancer. This method could be especially useful for those who cannot return for follow-up because of geographic reasons.
ScienceDirect (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - USA (2149)
- Online Instruments, Data Collection, and Electronic Measurements: Organizational Advancements; 2013; Bocarnea, M. C., Reynolds, R. A., Baker, J. D.
- Convenient yet not a convenience sample: Jury pools as experimental subject pools; 2013; Murray, G. R., Rugeley, C. R., Mitchell, D.-G., Mondak, J. J.
- The equivalence of Internet versus paper-based surveys in IT/IS adoption research in collectivistic...; 2013; Fang, J., Wen, C., Prybutok, V.
- Examining the Gender Effects of Different Incentive Amounts in a Web Survey; 2013; Boulianne, S. J.
- Online Survey Software; 2013; Baker, J. D.
- Mode Effects in Free-list Elicitation: Comparing Oral, Written, and Web-based Data Collection; 2013; Gravlee, C. C., Bernard, H. R., R., Jacobsohn, A., R.Maxwell, C. R.
- Incentives for college student participation in web-based substance use surveys; 2013; Patrick, M. E., Singer, E., Boyd, C. J., Cranford, J. A., McCabe, S. E.
- The effect of short formative diagnostic web quizzes with minimal feedback; 2013; Baelter, O., Enstroem, E., Klingenberg, B.
- Increasing Web Survey Response Rates in Innovation Research: An Experimental Study of Static and Dynamic...; 2013; Sauermann, H.; Roach, M.
- Survey of Cloud Computing; 2013; Furht, B.
- Up Means Good: The Impact of Screen Position on Evaluative Ratings in Web Surveys.; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Using paradata to explore item-level response times in surveys; 2012; Couper, M. P., Kreuter, F.
- Using multivariate statistics, 6th Edition; 2012; Tabachnick, B. G., Fidell, L. S.
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- The smartphone psychology manifesto; 2012; Miller, G.
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- The practice of social research; 2012; Babbie, E. R.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- The effects of item saliency and question design on measurement error in a self-administered survey; 2012; Stern, M. J., Smyth, J. D., Mendez, J.
- The cross platform report. Q2 -2012 - US; 2012
- Speed (necessarily) doesn’t kill: A new way to detect survey satisficing; 2012; Garland, P. et al.
- Smartphone ownership update: September 2012; 2012; Rainie, L.
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Participation of mobile users in traditional online studies; 2012; Jue, A.
- Online survey statistics for the mobile future. Updated with Q3 2012 data; 2012
- NBCU enlists Google, ComScore to track multiscreen Olympics viewing; 2012; Spangler, T.
- More dirty little secrets of online panel research.; 2012
- Mobile usability; 2012; Nielsen, J., Budiu, R.
- Mobile email opens report 2nd half 2011; 2012
- Media tracker; 2012
- Measuring the quality of governmental websites in a controlled versus an online setting with the ‘...; 2012; Elling, S. et al.
- Measuring modern media consumption; 2012; Arini, N.
- Guide to social science data preparation. Best practice throughout the data life cycle; 2012
- GMI Pinnacle; 2012
- Flowing with the mainstream. Is mobile market research finally living up to the hype?; 2012; Townsend, L.
- Explaining rising nonresponse rates in cross-sectional surveys; 2012; Brick, J. M., Williams, D.
- Smartphone Apps and User Engagement: Collecting Data in the Digital Era; 2012; Link, M. W.
- Snowball Sampling in Online Social Networks; 2012; Raissi, M., Ackland, R.
- The Use of Facebook as a Locating and Contacting Tool; 2012; McCarthy, T.
- How Often Do You Use the App with a Bird on It? Exploring Differences in Survey Completion Times, Primacy...; 2012; Buskirk, T. D.
- Efficacy of a health-related Facebook social network site on health-seeking behaviors; 2012; Woolley, P., Peterson, M.
- Methods for eliminating skip statements from questionnaire logic; 2012; Canvanough Spencer, S.
- The war against unengaged online respondents; 2012; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Qualitatively Speaking: The five absolute, no-excuse must-dos for online qualitative researchers; 2012; Rossow, A.
- By the Numbers: Lessons for using online panels in B2B research; 2012; Elsner, N.
- Improving Survey Website Usability ; 2012; Vannette, D.
- Specialized Tools for Measuring Past Events ; 2012; Belli, R. F.
- Transparency, Access and the Credibility of Survey Research; 2012; Lupia, A.
- Experience Sampling and Ecological Momentary Assessment; 2012; Stone, A.
- Can Microtargeting Improve Survey Sampling? An Assessment of Accuracy and Bias in Consumer File Marketing...; 2012; Pasek, J.