Web Survey Bibliography
Declining landline telephone subscription rates alongside with increasing mobile-only rates require survey researchers to explore alternative means of telephone survey data collection. In several European countries like Finland, Sweden or the Czech Republic mobile phone penetration rates have exceeded 90 percent. Thus, it seems promising to develop mobile phone survey methods. To learn more about changes in telecommunicational behaviour and equipment it is necessary to follow mobile phone owners over an extended period of time using panel survey methods. Panel surveys are prone to panel attrition. Consequently the long term perspective and data quality on mobile phone owners throughout the panel are threatened due to reduced sample sizes and due to potential panel attrition biases. In mobile phone panels reasons for panel attrition can be found in (1) mobile phone numbers turning ineligible during the panel, (2) non-contact with eligible panel numbers and (3) panel members refusing to cooperate in further panel waves. Taken together, these three potential sources of panel attrition amount to about
20 percent wave-to-wave attrition. Consequently the development of reliable methods that counteract refusals and non-contacts in mobile phone panel studies is required.
In this paper we will present results from two experiments addressing panel attrition in the Experimental Mobile Phone Panel conducted in Germany (n=1,700) since 2009. In a randomized between-subjects design a subgroup of respondents to wave 5 of the panel was offered a 5 Euro pre-paid incentive. Attrition rates and potential biases due to panel attrition were compared to the respective values of a control group without incentive. Also, refusals and noncontacts in wave 5 were invited by text message to a short mobile Web survey application where they were supposed to report on a few key variables from the wave 5 questionnaire. The effect of this mode switch was evaluated in terms of the willingness of respondents to participate in the mobile Web survey and also in terms of the quality of their responses.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Germany (456)
- Where does the Fair Trade price premium go? Confronting consumers' request with reality; 2013; Langen, N., Adenaeuer, L.
- Experiments in Obtaining Data Linkage Consent in Web Surveys ; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W., Kreuter, F.
- On the Impact of Response Patterns on Survey Estimates from Access Panels; 2013; Enderle, T., Muennich, R., Bruch, C.
- Evaluating the left‐right dimension: Category Selection Probing conducted in an online access...; 2013; Huefken , V.
- Explaining Interview Duration in Web Surveys on Political Attitudes and Behavior: A Multilevel Approach...; 2013; Gummer, T., Rossmann, J.
- Methodological, legal and technical perspectives on the feasibility of web survey paradata in German...; 2013; Sattelberger, S.
- Random versus Systematic Error in a Mixed Mode Online-Telephone Survey; 2013; Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Boeve, A., Boeve, A., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: implications for nonresponse; 2013; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M.
- Mobile devices a way to recruit hard-to-reach groups? Results from a pilot study comparing desk top...; 2013; Toepoel, V., Lugtig, P. J.
- The Relation of Survey Topic and Participation Behavior. Analyzing Unit Nonresponse using web-generated...; 2013; Zillmann, D., Schmitz, A., Blossfeld, H. P.
- Web questionnaires in official population surveys: Do's and don'ts First experiments and impacts...; 2013; Blanke, K.
- Avatare in der Marktforschung: Effekte künst-licher Interviewer im Online-Interview; 2013; Luetters, H.
- Möglichkeiten zur impliziten Messung von Emotionen am Beispiel webcambasierter Gesichtsausdruckserkennung...; 2013; Wachenfeld, A., Moentmann, A., Bernet, F.
- Mode effects in Labour Force Surveys - do they really matter?; 2013; Koerner, T.
- Identifying and Mitigating Satisficing in Web Surveys: Some Experimental Evidence; 2013; Rossmann, J.
- Does left still feel right? The optimal position of answer boxes in Web surveys - revisited; 2013; Lenzner, T., Kaczmirek, L.,Galesic, M.
- Latent legitimacy: joint effects of religious orientation on the association between values and acceptance...; 2013; Henseler, A. K., Siegers, P., Beckers, T.
- Identifying Satisficing Respondents in Web Surveys: A Comparison of Different Response Time-Based Approaches...; 2013; Rossmann, J.
- Comparison of quality of web survey and CATI data using unobtrusive response latencies; 2013; Mayerl, J.
- Evaluating the middle category in the left-right self-placement question: Category Selection Probing...; 2013; Hufken, V., Rottinghaus, B.
- Validity of Measuring Educational Attainment - Education and Value Orientation in the European Values...; 2013; Ortmanns, V.
- Using Eye Tracking Data to Understand Respondent's Processing of Rating Scales; 2013; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Advancing the field of questionnaire translation - identifying problems, discussing methods, pushing...; 2013; Behr, D., Dorer, B., Van Houten, G
- European Values Study - methodological and substantive applications; 2013; Luijkx, R., Jagodzinski, W.
- The Impact of Culture and Economy on Values and Attitudes; 2013; Duelmer, H., Voicu, M.
- Educational attainment in cross-national surveys: instrument design, data collection, harmonisation...; 2013; Schneider, S.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- Data Collection in Sociolinguistics: Methods and Applications; 2013; Mallinson, C., Childs, B., Van Herk, G.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: Findings From Seven Access Panel Studies; 2013; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Funke, F.
- Use of Drag-and-Drop Rating Scales in Web Surveys and Its Effect on Survey Reports and Data Quality; 2013; Kunz, T.
- Online Panels: Recruitment Based on “Hot Topics” – What are the Consequences?; 2013; Andreasson, M., Martinsson, J.
- The Effectiveness of Mailed Invitations for Web Surveys; 2013; Bandilla, W., Couper, M. P., Kaczmirek, L.
- Effects of Lotteries on Response Behavior in Online Panels; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- Lotteries and study results in market research online panels; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- Cognitive Probes in Web Surveys: On the Effect of Different Text Box Size and Probing Exposure on Response...; 2013; Behr, D., Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L., Braun, M.
- Pros and cons of virtual interviewers – vote in the discussion about surveytainment; 2013; Póltorak, M., Kowalski, J.
- The fish model: What factors affect participants while filling in an online questionnaire?; 2013; Mohamed, B., Lorenz, A., Pscheida, D.
- Interview Duration in Web Surveys: Integrating Different Levels of Explanation; 2013; Rossmann, J., Gummer, T.
- The monetary value of good questionnaire design; 2013; Tress, F.
- Technical and methodological meta-information on current practices in online research: A full population...; 2013; Burger, C., Stieger, S.
- Using interactive feedback to enhance response quality in Web surveys. The case of open-ended questions...; 2013; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Reducing Response Order Effects in Check-All-That-Apply Questions by Use of Dynamic Tooltip Instructions...; 2013; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Slide to ruin data: How slider scales may negatively affect data quality and what to do about it; 2013; Funke, F.
- Measuring wages via a volunteer web survey – a cross-national analysis of item nonresponse; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Annmaria, B.
- Identifying and Mitigating Satisficing in Web Surveys: Some Experimental Evidence; 2013; Blumenstiel, J. E., Rossmann, J.
- Does one really know?: Avoiding noninformative answers in a reliable way.; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Boevee, A., Hox, J.
- Online Mixed Mode Surveying using a Responsive Design; 2013; Kissau, K.
- Sensitive Topics in PC and Mobile Web Surveys; 2013; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Mobile Research Performance: How Mobile Respondents Differ from PC Users Concerning Interview Quality...; 2013; Schmidt, S., Wenzel, O.
- Who responds to website visitor satisfaction surveys?; 2013; Andreadis, I.