Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: Asking sensitive questions in online surveys is a difficult task as respondents might not always tell the truth and answer in a socially desirable manner. As a consequence, the prevalence of sensitive behaviors is likely to be underestimated and correlations between individual characteristics and sensitive behaviors might be biased if subgroups of the surveyed population differ in their probability to answer truthfully. The Randomized Response Technique (RRT; Warner 1965), a method proposed to face this challenge, achieved mixed results so far in providing more valid estimates than direct questioning. A related approach called the Crosswise Model (CM; Yu, Tian and Tang 2008) seems more promising. However, empirical evidence on the performance of these methods is still sparse and inconclusive, especially in the case of online surveys.
Methods & Data: In the context of an online survey on plagiarism and cheating on exams among students of two Swiss universities (N = 6494), we tested different implementations of the RRT and the CM and compared them to direct questioning using a randomized experimental design. To evaluate the different methods, we analyzed differences in prevalence estimates, breakoff rates and respondents’ impression of the techniques.
Results: Results reveal a poor performance of the RRT, which failed to elicit higher prevalence estimates than direct questioning. Using the CM, however, significantly higher prevalence estimates could be achieved.
Added Value: Our study provides a thorough experimental comparison of the RRT and the CM, which to date is missing in the literature. Furthermore, we present different implementations of the RRT and the CM, specifically tailored for use in online surveys. Implications of our findings for the future use of sensitive questions techniques such as the RRT and the CM are discussed.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Education (166)
- Educational use of smart phone technology: A survey of mobile phone application use by undergraduate...; 2013; Bomhold, C. R.
- Media Commons: the process and value of centralizing services; 2013; Mestre, L. S.
- Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence...; 2013; A., Bonadie-Joseph, I., Cain, J.Becker, D. A.
- Dialogistic Presence on Community College Websites in Nine Megastates; 2013; Shadinger, D.
- Online Case Studies: HESI Exit Exam Scores and NCLEX-RN Outcomes; 2013; Young, A., Rose, G., Willson, P.
- The Challenges and Benefits of Distance Mentoring; 2013; Lach, H. W. et al
- Hail to Thee, Our Alma Mater: Alumni Role Identity and the Relationship to Institutional Support Behaviors...; 2013; McDearmon, J. T.
- Adjusting for bias in a mixed-mode CAWI survey on University students ; 2013; Clerici, R., Giraldo, A.
- An imputation approach for analyzing mixed-mode surveys; 2013; Kim, J. K., Park, S., Kim, S. Y.
- A walking exercise on a tightrope: trying to balance coverage, probabilistic sampling and the costs...; 2013; Poggio, T.
- Validity of Measuring Educational Attainment - Education and Value Orientation in the European Values...; 2013; Ortmanns, V.
- Educational attainment in cross-national surveys: instrument design, data collection, harmonisation...; 2013; Schneider, S.
- Eliminate Item Non-Response: The Effect of Forcing Respondents to Answer in Web Surveys; 2013; Leach, L. M.
- Building a History: Collecting Comprehensive Employment Data in a Web-Based, Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Cominole, M., Bennett, C., Caves, L.
- Use of Drag-and-Drop Rating Scales in Web Surveys and Its Effect on Survey Reports and Data Quality; 2013; Kunz, T.
- The Impact on Web Survey Drop-Out Rates of Page Number Progress Indicators Used Throughout, Near the...; 2013; Walston, J. T., Cunningham, B., Medway, R.
- Utilizing the Web in a Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Venkataraman, L.
- On the Use of Latent Variable Models to Detect Differences in the Interpretation of Vague Quantifiers...; 2013; Griffin, J.
- Using interactive feedback to enhance response quality in Web surveys. The case of open-ended questions...; 2013; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Reducing Response Order Effects in Check-All-That-Apply Questions by Use of Dynamic Tooltip Instructions...; 2013; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Ethics, privacy and data security in web-based course evaluation; 2013; Salaschek, M., Meese, C., Thielsch, M.
- Speed (necessarily) doesn’t kill: A new way to detect survey satisficing; 2012; Garland, P. et al.
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- What can be said about quality in the Central Population Register based on a self-completion survey...; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Pedersen, H. E.
- Boosting Web pick-up Rates by referring to Compliance Principles ; 2012; Falnes-Dalheim, E., Haraldsen, G., Sundvoll, A.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Prenotification, Incentives, and Survey Modality: An Experimental Test of Methods to Increase Survey...; 2012; Tepper, J. R., Jacob, B.
- Does survey experience affect respondents’ reported level of satisfaction?; 2012; Schultz Christensen, A., Ladenburg, J.
- Nonresponse and Online Student Evaluations of Teaching: Understanding the Inﬂuence of Salience...; 2012; Adams, M. J. D., Umbach, P. D.
- What are the Odds? Lotteries versus Cash Incentives. Response Rates, Cost and Data Quality for a Web...; 2012; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Klein, L., Cyffka, K., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Exploring the impact of animation-based questionnaire on conducting a web-based educational survey and...; 2012; Chien, Y.-T., Chang, C.-Y.
- Effects of number of response options in web surveys: The role of verbal labels; 2012; Thorsdottir, F., Fuchs, M., Jonsdottir, J.
- Asking Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: An Experimental Comparison of the Randomized Response...; 2012; Diekmann, A., Hoeglinger, M., Jann, B.
- Use of incentives and web-based administration for surveying student alcohol and substance use in an...; 2012; Onoye, J. M., Goebert, D., Nishimura, S.
- Knowledge extraction from a large on-line survey: a case study for a higher education corporate marketing...; 2011; Fernández-Aguirre, K. et al.
- Online Appendix for “Surveying the General Public Over the Internet Using Address-Based Sampling...; 2011; Dillman, D. A., Messer, B. L.
- Toward wiser public judgment; 2011; Yankelovich, D., Friedman, W.
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- A course is a course is a course: Factor invariance in student evaluation of online, blended and face...; 2011; Dziuban, C. D., Moskal, P.
- A National Profile of Teacher Education Faculty: The Construction of an Online Survey; 2011; Graber, K. C., Erwin, H., Woods, A. M., Rhoades, J., Zhu, W.
- How do Respondents Perceive a Questionnaire? The Contribution of Open-ended Questions; 2011; Markou, E., Garnier, B.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Examining Response Rates and Patterns in a Multimode Experiment: A Study of Department Chairs/Heads...; 2011; Foster, K. N., Gaughan, M.
- Exploring Visual Design Effects In Web Survey Questions. An Experimental Study Using Animated Answer...; 2011; Emde, M., Fuchs, M.
- Display Matters: A Test of Visual Display Options in a Web-Based Survey.; 2011; Romano Bergstrom, J. C., Chen, J. M., Gilbert, T. R., Jans, M.
- Minimizing Item Nonresponse in a School-based Web Survey of High School Students.; 2011; Burns, L., Dever, J.
- Which Technologies Do Respondents Use in Online Surveys – An International Comparison?; 2011; Kaczmirek, L., Behr, D., Bandilla, W.
- Mode Effect Analysis - Paper Respondents vs. Web Respondents in the 2004-05 Teacher Follow-up Survey; 2011; Aritomi, T., Hill, J.
- An experiment to test the feasibility and quality of a web-based questionnaire of teachers; 2011; Tepper, J. R.
- Sponsor Prominence and Responses Patterns to an Online Survey; 2011; Boulianne, J. S., Klofstad, C. A., Basson, D.Boulianne, S. J.