Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: Asking sensitive questions in online surveys is a difficult task as respondents might not always tell the truth and answer in a socially desirable manner. As a consequence, the prevalence of sensitive behaviors is likely to be underestimated and correlations between individual characteristics and sensitive behaviors might be biased if subgroups of the surveyed population differ in their probability to answer truthfully. The Randomized Response Technique (RRT; Warner 1965), a method proposed to face this challenge, achieved mixed results so far in providing more valid estimates than direct questioning. A related approach called the Crosswise Model (CM; Yu, Tian and Tang 2008) seems more promising. However, empirical evidence on the performance of these methods is still sparse and inconclusive, especially in the case of online surveys.
Methods & Data: In the context of an online survey on plagiarism and cheating on exams among students of two Swiss universities (N = 6494), we tested different implementations of the RRT and the CM and compared them to direct questioning using a randomized experimental design. To evaluate the different methods, we analyzed differences in prevalence estimates, breakoff rates and respondents’ impression of the techniques.
Results: Results reveal a poor performance of the RRT, which failed to elicit higher prevalence estimates than direct questioning. Using the CM, however, significantly higher prevalence estimates could be achieved.
Added Value: Our study provides a thorough experimental comparison of the RRT and the CM, which to date is missing in the literature. Furthermore, we present different implementations of the RRT and the CM, specifically tailored for use in online surveys. Implications of our findings for the future use of sensitive questions techniques such as the RRT and the CM are discussed.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (508)
- Beauty is more than screen deep: Improving the web survey respondent experience through socially-present...; 2014; Casey, T. W., Poropat, A.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- Factors affecting the decision to participate in the internet option for the 2010 Census of Korea ; 2013; Lee, E., Kim, S.
- Assessment of Diet and Physical Activity of Brazilian Schoolchildren: Usability Testing of a Web-Based...; 2013; da Costa, F. F., Pacheco Schmoelz, C., Fernandes Davies, V., Di Pietro, P. F., Kupek, E., de Assis,...
- An evaluation of mixed methods (diaries and focus groups) when working with older people; 2013; Koopman-Boyden, P., Richardson, M.
- Methodological Issues in the Design of Online Surveys for Measuring Unethical Work Behavior: Recommendations...; 2013; Wouters, K., Maesschalck, J., Peeters, C. F. W., Roosen, M.
- Use of mobile devices to answer online surveys: implications for research; 2013; Cunningham, J. A., Neighbors, C., Bertholet, N., Hendershot, C. S.
- Field Lessons From the Delivery of Questionnaires to Young Adults Using Mobile Phones; 2013; van Heerden, A. C., Norris, S. A., Tollman, S. M., Stein, A. D., Richter, L. M.
- The Challenges and Benefits of Distance Mentoring; 2013; Lach, H. W. et al
- Web-Based Versus Traditional Paper Questionnaires: A Mixed-Mode Survey With a Nordic Perspective; 2013; Hohwue, L., Lyshol, H., Gissler, M., Hrafn Jonsson, S., Petzold, M., Obel, C.
- Permission email messages significantly increase gambler retention; 2013; Jolley, W., Lee, A., Mizerski, R., Sadeque, S.
- The moderating role of socio-semantic networks on online buzz diffusion; 2013; Lee, H., Lee, D. I., Kim, T., Kim, T., Lee, J.
- “Translating” between survey answer formats; 2013; Dolnicar, S., Grün, B.
- The impact of website content dimension and e-trust on e-marketing effectiveness: The case of Iranian...; 2013; Rahimnia, F., Farzaneh Hassanzadeh, J.
- Specific mixed-mode methodologies to include sensory disabled people in quantitative surveys; 2013; Sebastien, F., Marc, J., Patrick, I.
- An imputation approach for analyzing mixed-mode surveys; 2013; Kim, J. K., Park, S., Kim, S. Y.
- Comparability of substantive results between modes and incentive conditions in a probability-based telephone...; 2013; Pekari, N.
- Trends in Dutch egalitarian attitudes, 1975-2010: An age-period-cohort analysis; 2013; Meuleman, B., Oorschot, W. V.
- Comparing Questionnaire Pretesting Methods for the 2015 Population and Housing Census of Korea; 2013; Park, Y.
- Mixed Methods in Cognitive Interviewing: An analysis of the Russian version of the Schwartz Value Survey...; 2013; Efremova, M., Panyusheva, T.
- A mixed methods approach to investigate how Cognitive Interviewing findings can improve the validity...; 2013; Padilla, J. L., Miller, K., Loeb, M.
- Error Prevention through Interviewer Emulation? Introducing questionnaire dialogues in the Norwegian...; 2013; Gravem, D. F.
- Advancing the field of questionnaire translation - identifying problems, discussing methods, pushing...; 2013; Behr, D., Dorer, B., Van Houten, G
- The Impact of Culture and Economy on Values and Attitudes; 2013; Duelmer, H., Voicu, M.
- Educational attainment in cross-national surveys: instrument design, data collection, harmonisation...; 2013; Schneider, S.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- History of Technology in Research; 2013; Sahu, C.
- The Online Statistical Survey As An Alternative To Traditional Methods; 2013; Dinu, S., Nitoiu, M., Pomazan, C.
- Improved Dialogue Features in Web Surveys?; 2013; Lund, K.
- Research Intentions are Nothing without Technology: Mixed-Method Web Surveys and the Coberen Wall of...; 2013; Ganassali, S., Rodriguez-Santos, C.
- Reducing Response Burden for Enterprises Combining Methods for Data Collection on the Internet; 2013; Vik, T.
- Measuring Wages Worldwide: Exploring the Potentials and Constraints of Volunteer Web Surveys; 2013; Steinmetz, S., Raess, D., Tijdens, K., de Pedraza, P.
- Data Quality in PC and Mobile Web Surveys; 2013; Mavletova, A. M.
- PDAs in socio-economic surveys: instrument bias, surveyor bias or both?; 2013; Escobal, J., Benites, S.
- Virtual research assistants: Replacing human interviewers by automated avatars in virtual worlds; 2013; Hasler, B. S., Tuchman, P., Friedman, D.
- Internet-Based Recruitment to a Depression Prevention Intervention: Lessons From the Mood Memos Study...; 2013; Morgan, A. J., Jorm, A. F., Mackinnon, A. J.
- Challenges for Researchers Investigating Contraceptive Use and Pregnancy Intentions of Young Women Living...; 2013; Herbert, D. L., Loxton, D., Bateson, D., Weisberg, E., Lucke, J. C.
- Using a web-based survey tool to undertake a Delphi study: Application for nurse education research; 2013; Gill, F. J., Leslie, G. D., Grech, C., Latour, J. M.
- Comparison of web-based versus paper-and-pencil administration of a humor survey; 2013; Wang, C.-C., Cheng, C.-L.;, -S., Cheng, Y.-Y.Liu, K.-S.
- Large-Scale Analysis and Testing; 2013; Cao, M., Zhang, Q.
- Askito: An open source Web questionnaire tool; 2013; Reips, U. -D., Heilmann, T.
- Measurement invariance and quality of composite scores in a face-to-face and a web survey; 2013; Revilla, M.
- 'Ready to complete the survey on Facebook': Web 2.0 as a research tool in business studies; 2013; Gregori, A., Baltar, F.
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- A Comparison of the Quality of Questions in a Face-to-face and a Web Survey; 2013; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- A comparison of data quality and practicality of online versus postal questionnaires in a sample of...; 2013; King, M. T., Butow, P., Olver, I., Smith, A. B.
- Sampling Frame Coverage and Domain Adjustment Procedures for Internet Surveys; 2013; Asan, Z., Ayhan, H. O.
- The efficiency and effectiveness of mixed mode versus single mode designs; 2012; Blunsdon, B.
- The CSP Project; 2012; Heerwegh, D.
- ISO 20252. Market, opinion and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements, 2nd Edition; 2012