Web Survey Bibliography
(a) Relevance & Research Question:
The results of a number of studies comparing data collection via personal interviewing (CAPI) and self administered web surveys (CAWI) suggest that online data collection leads to more honest answers (e.g., Bronner/Kuijlen 2007; Duffy et al. 2005; Hoppe/Lamp 2001; Loosveldt/Sonck 2008; Marta-Pedroso et al. 2007). This is usually attributed to the absence of an interviewer in the online realm and the therefore lower tendency of respondents to answer questions in a manner that will be viewed favorably by others. However, to date no study has used a standardized scale to measure social desirability on an individual respondent level and assess its influence of on data quality in face-to-face and web surveys.
(b) Methods & Data:
In an experimental study respondents were either interviewed by an interviewer in person (n=402) or with a self-administered web questionnaire over the internet (n=387). Respondents for the face-to-face survey were recruited via quota sampling, the web survey was administered to members of an online panel using the same quotas. Among others respondents were asked about their attitudes towards different cultures, countries, and their citizens. Additionally, an adapted version of Paulus’ (1984) scale measuring impression management was used to assess the influence of social desirability on data quality.
The results confirm that social desirability is less pronounced when respondents answer the questions in a self-administered web survey compared to an personal interview.
(d) Added Value:
The use of a standardized scale allows to test for the potential of social desirability as a moderator for mode effects.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography (6390)
- Research Design as an Influencing Factor for Reliability in Online Market Research; 2013; Wengrzik, J., Theuner, G.
- Ethics, privacy and data security in web-based course evaluation; 2013; Salaschek, M., Meese, C., Thielsch, M.
- Seducing the respondent – how to optimise invitations in on-site online research?; 2013; Póltorak, M., Kowalski, J.
- Influence of mobile devices in online surveys; 2013; Maxl, E., Baumgartner, T.
- E-questionnaire in cross-sectional household surveys; 2013; Karaganis, M.
- GESIS Online Panel Pilot: Results from a Probability-Based Online Access Panel; 2013; Kaczmirek, L., Bandilla, W., Schaurer, I., Struminskaya, B., Weyandt, K.
- Online Survey – Research with children on advertising impact; 2013; Funkenweh, V., Busch, J., Amthor, A. L., Boeer, A., Gaedke, J.
- HTML5 and mobile Web surveys: A Web experiment on new input types; 2013; Funke, F.
- Metadata on the demographics of online research: Results from a full-range study of available online...; 2013; Burger, C., Stieger, S.
- How the screen-out influence the dropout of a commercial panel; 2013; Bartoli, B.
- Beyond methodology - some ethical implications of "doing research online"; 2013; Heise, N.
- Innovation in Data Collection: the Responsive Design Approach; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Break-off and attrition in the GIP amongst technologically experienced and inexperienced participants...; 2013; Blom, A. G., Bossert, D., Clark, V., Funke, F., Gebhard, F., Holthausen, A., Krieger, U., Wachenfeld...
- Nonresponse and Nonresponse Bias in a Probability-Based Internet Panel; 2013; Blom, A. G., Bossert, D., Funke, F., Gebhard, F., Holthausen, A., Krieger, U.
- Rewards - Money for Nothing?; 2013; Cape, P. J., Martin, P.
- Effects of incentive reduction after a series of higher incentive waves in a probability-based online...; 2013; Struminskaya, B., Kaczmirek, L., Schaurer, I., Bandilla, W.
- Timing of Nonparticipation in an Online Panel: The effect of incentive strategies; 2013; Douhou, S., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Mixed-mode including web: Recent developments at Statistics Netherlands; 2013; Luiten, A., Schouten, B.
- Web coverage in the UK and its potential impact on general population web surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Surveys on Mobile Devices: Opportunities and Challenges; 2013; Couper, M. P.
- Measurement effects in mixed-mode panel surveys; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Life history calendars - a viable method for web-based data collection?; 2013; Glasner, T., van der Vaart, W.
- Measurement issues in web surveys: An overview of opportunities and challenges; 2013; Calderwood, L.
- Experiences from a probability-based Internet panel: Sample, recruitment and participation; 2013; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Participation and engagement in web surveys of the general population: An overview of challenges and...; 2013; Roberts, C.
- Using Web Survey Panels to Estimate Population Characteristics: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches...; 2013; Rivers, D.
- Online Research, Game On!; 2013; Puleston, J.
- The ONS Beyond 2011 Programme & possible implications for social surveys; 2013; Morris, L.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population: An Overview; 2013; Lynn, P.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- Comparison of web-based versus paper-and-pencil administration of a humor survey; 2013; Wang, C.-C., Cheng, C.-L.;, Liu, K.-S., Cheng, Y.-Y.
- The Design of Grids in Web Surveys; 2013; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Zhang, C.
- The smartphone in survey research: experiments for time use data; 2013; Fernee, H., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Survey Research; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- Understanding and Applying Research Design; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- Large-Scale Analysis and Testing; 2013; Cao, M., Zhang, Q.
- The Science of Web Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- How to create online questionnaires: A beginner's guide to survey design for businesses and students...; 2013; Lipscomb, L.
- True experimental data collection on the Internet; 2013; Reips, U. -D., Krantz, J. H.
- Virtual Research Methods; 2013; Hine, C.
- Askito: An open source Web questionnaire tool; 2013; Reips, U. -D., Heilmann, T.
- Informed Consent for Web Paradata Use; 2013; Couper, M. P., Singer, E.
- Measurement invariance and quality of composite scores in a face-to-face and a web survey; 2013; Revilla, M.
- Exploring Response Differences between Face-to-Face and Web Surveys: A Qualitative Comparative Analysis...; 2013; Bennink, M., Moors, G., Gelissen, J.
- 'Ready to complete the survey on Facebook': Web 2.0 as a research tool in business studies; 2013; Gregori, A., Baltar, F.
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- The Use of Mixed Methods in Organizational Communication Research; 2013; Salem, P. J.
- The Use of E-Questionnaires in Organizational Surveys; 2013; Brender-Ilan, Y., Vinitzky, G.
- Online Instruments, Data Collection, and Electronic Measurements: Organizational Advancements; 2013; Bocarnea, M. C., Reynolds, R. A., Baker, J. D.
- Convenient yet not a convenience sample: Jury pools as experimental subject pools; 2013; Murray, G. R., Rugeley, C. R., Mitchell, D.-G., Mondak, J. J.