Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
Online Surveys has been playing increasingly an important role in the academic research. The Institute of Social and Economic Research (WSI) has been conducting a continuous web survey on pay and working conditions since 2004. Data is collected via an online questionnaire, accessible at www.lohnspiegel.de, which any interested visitor can complete. Lohnspiegel is a German part of the WageIndicator survey network, which organises web-surveys with a similar structure and content in 50 countries. The topics relate to wages and working conditions. The target population is the labour force, including employees, self-employed, informal workers, job seekers and the unemployed. Volunteer web-surveys are primarily held in marketing and in voting research. Except for the WageIndicator they are hardly used in the ﬁeld of work and employment. The presentation concentrates on the experiences of the Lohnspiegel and WageIndicator as a continuous web survey and on the recommendations for other academic researchers.
Methods & Data:
The respondents of the web-survey are volunteers. A continuous survey challenges the traditional perception of web-surveys. The survey have several advantages: the potential to generate large sample sizes, the possibility of exploring rare groups or small-scale units, the inclusion of follow-up questions, Additionally, such web surveys offer multiple client-side feedback systems.
Since 2004 over 200.000 participants have completed the online questionary in Germany, with an average of ca. 25.000 per year. The Lohnspiegel is a non-probability survey and the data therefore biased and not representative to a certain extent. Several adjustment procedures to solve this problem have been applied. The results show that application of different weights produces rather diverse results, and that there is no certainty as to whether the representativeness of such web-surveys can be improved.
The experience of a continuous large-scale web-surveys “Lohnspiegel” and “WageIndicator” in general, would give new insights for further academic research and methodology development. The surveys generate longitudinal, multi-country data on wages, which might develop into a worldwide database on wages, beneﬁts, working hours, working conditions, and industrial relations and, hence, contribute to a better understanding of the labour market worldwide.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Survey methodology (2746)
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- Experiments in Obtaining Data Linkage Consent in Web Surveys ; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W., Kreuter, F.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Response Burden in Official Business Surveys: Measurement and Reduction Practices of National Statistical...; 2013; Giesen, D., Bavdaz, M., Loefgren, T., Raymond-Blaess, V.
- Should the third reminder be sent? The role of survey response timing on web survey results; 2013; Rao, K., Pennington, J.
- Factors affecting the decision to participate in the internet option for the 2010 Census of Korea ; 2013; Lee, E., Kim, S.
- Internet as a new source of information for the production of official statistics. Experiences of Statistics...; 2013; Heerschap, N.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Web Panels for Official Statistics? ; 2013; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F.
- Assessing Nonresponse Bias in the Green Technologies and Practices Survey; 2013; Meekins, B., Sverchkov, M., Stang, S.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- The Role of Mode Preference Questions in Predicting Mode-Specific Response Propensities; 2013; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- How Does Online Survey Mode Affect Answers to Customer Feedback Loyalty Surveys?; 2013; Gupta, A., Lee, J.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Model-Based Mode of Data Collection Switching from Internet to Mail in the American Community Survey; 2013; Chesnut, J.
- Estimating Mode Effects Without Bias: A Randomized Experiment to Compare Mode Effects Between Face-to...; 2013; Rivers, D., Vavreck, L.
- Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference: Quantitative And Qualitative Methodologies In The Economic...; 2013; Frangos, C. (ed.)
- How Mobile Stacks Up to Traditional Online: A Comparison of Studies; 2013; Knowles, R.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Development of a Questionnaire and Cross-Sectional Survey of Patient eHealth Readiness and eHealth Inequalities...; 2013; Jones, R.
- Assessment of Diet and Physical Activity of Brazilian Schoolchildren: Usability Testing of a Web-Based...; 2013; da Costa, F. F., Pacheco Schmoelz, C., Fernandes Davies, V., Di Pietro, P. F., Kupek, E., de Assis,...
- Why respondents suffer if you're not mobile-ready; 2013; Knapton, K.
- 4 ways mobile research challenges insights pros; 2013; Rajan, B.
- Thoughts on retrieving information from open-ended questions; 2013; Luyens, S.
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Respondent Rewards: Money for Nothing?; 2013; Martin, P.
- How to make your questionnaire mobile-ready; 2013; Cape, P. J.
- Did I Do That? How Trap Questions Can Hurt Data Quality; 2013; Phillips, K.
- Leveraging mobile and online qualitative to get inside shoppers’ heads; 2013; Bryson, J., Ritzo, J.
- A report on the Confirmit Market Research Software Survey 2013; 2013; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Thoughts on using the new online qualitative tools; 2013; Freund, N. M.
- Web Panel Representativeness; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Interactive applets on the Web for methods and statistics; 2013; Reips, U. -D., McClelland, G.
- Economic valuation in Web surveys; A review of the state of the art and best practices; 2013; Menegaki, A. N., Tsagarakis, K. P.
- Can creative web survey questionnaire design improve the response quality?; 2013; Angelovska, J., Mavrikiou, P. M.
- Utilization of High-Technology to Collect Health Risk Assessment Information from Medicare Members:...; 2013; Freedman, D., VanderHorst, N.
- Respondent Behavior Logging: An Opportunity for Online Survey Design; 2013; Sjoestroem, J., Rahman, M. H., Rafiq, A., Lochan, R., Agerfalk, P. J.
- Beyond Satisfaction Questionnaires: “Hacking” the Online Survey; 2013; Evans, A. L.
- Methodological Issues in the Design of Online Surveys for Measuring Unethical Work Behavior: Recommendations...; 2013; Wouters, K., Maesschalck, J., Peeters, C. F. W., Roosen, M.
- Use of mobile devices to answer online surveys: implications for research; 2013; Cunningham, J. A., Neighbors, C., Bertholet, N., Hendershot, C. S.
- Enhancing student engagement in student experience surveys: a mixed methods study; 2013; Webber, M., Lynch, S., Oluku, J.
- Where Am I? A Meta-Analysis of Experiments on the Effects of Progress Indicators for Web Surveys; 2013; Villar, A., Callegaro, M., Yang, Y.