Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
Online Surveys has been playing increasingly an important role in the academic research. The Institute of Social and Economic Research (WSI) has been conducting a continuous web survey on pay and working conditions since 2004. Data is collected via an online questionnaire, accessible at www.lohnspiegel.de, which any interested visitor can complete. Lohnspiegel is a German part of the WageIndicator survey network, which organises web-surveys with a similar structure and content in 50 countries. The topics relate to wages and working conditions. The target population is the labour force, including employees, self-employed, informal workers, job seekers and the unemployed. Volunteer web-surveys are primarily held in marketing and in voting research. Except for the WageIndicator they are hardly used in the ﬁeld of work and employment. The presentation concentrates on the experiences of the Lohnspiegel and WageIndicator as a continuous web survey and on the recommendations for other academic researchers.
Methods & Data:
The respondents of the web-survey are volunteers. A continuous survey challenges the traditional perception of web-surveys. The survey have several advantages: the potential to generate large sample sizes, the possibility of exploring rare groups or small-scale units, the inclusion of follow-up questions, Additionally, such web surveys offer multiple client-side feedback systems.
Since 2004 over 200.000 participants have completed the online questionary in Germany, with an average of ca. 25.000 per year. The Lohnspiegel is a non-probability survey and the data therefore biased and not representative to a certain extent. Several adjustment procedures to solve this problem have been applied. The results show that application of different weights produces rather diverse results, and that there is no certainty as to whether the representativeness of such web-surveys can be improved.
The experience of a continuous large-scale web-surveys “Lohnspiegel” and “WageIndicator” in general, would give new insights for further academic research and methodology development. The surveys generate longitudinal, multi-country data on wages, which might develop into a worldwide database on wages, beneﬁts, working hours, working conditions, and industrial relations and, hence, contribute to a better understanding of the labour market worldwide.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography (998)
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Methodological Issues in the Design of Online Surveys for Measuring Unethical Work Behavior: Recommendations...; 2013; Wouters, K., Maesschalck, J., Peeters, C. F. W., Roosen, M.
- Web psychosocial surveys in cancer survivorship - a methodological note; 2013; Santin, O., Mills, M., Treanor, C., Mc Donald, G., Donnelly, M.
- Online Case Studies: HESI Exit Exam Scores and NCLEX-RN Outcomes; 2013; Young, A., Rose, G., Willson, P.
- Hail to Thee, Our Alma Mater: Alumni Role Identity and the Relationship to Institutional Support Behaviors...; 2013; McDearmon, J. T.
- Developing a New Mixed-Mode Methodology For a Provincial Park Camper Survey in British Columbia; 2013; Dyck, B. W.
- Mail and Web-Based Survey Administration: A Case Study With Recreational Users of Virginia's Wildlife...; 2013; Carrozzino-Lyon, A. L., McMullin, S. L., Parkhurst, J. A.
- Scientific impact of the MESS Project: A brief overview; 2013; Das, M.
- Using the iPad as a Prize-Based Incentive to Boost Response Rates: A Case Study at Brigham Young University...; 2013; McClendon, R., Olsen, D.
- Using Qualitative and Quantitative Testing to Improve Hispanic Response Rates for Online Surveys; 2013; Pens, Y., Gentry, R. J.
- Using Web Surveys for Psychology Experiments: A Case Study in New Media Technology for Research; 2013; Peden, B. F., Tiry , A. M.
- The ONS Beyond 2011 Programme & possible implications for social surveys; 2013; Morris, L.
- Survey Research; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- The effect of short formative diagnostic web quizzes with minimal feedback; 2013; Baelter, O., Enstroem, E., Klingenberg, B.
- Research in the Mobile Mindset: Exploring the unexplored in the mobile research space; 2012; Willems, A., Veris, E., Verhaeghe, A.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Measuring Work Activities and Skill Requirements of Occupations: Experiences from a European Pilot Study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Reaching and Hearing the Invisible: Organizational Research on Invisible Stigmatized Groups via Web...; 2012; Trau, R. N. C., Haertel, C. E. J., Haertel, G. F.
- What Survey Modes are Most Effective in Eliciting Self-Reports of Criminal or Delinquent Behavior?; 2012; Kleck, G., Roberts, K.
- Developing an Online GIS-based Survey Instrument to Elicit Perceived Neighborhood Information for Environmental...; 2012; Carr, J., Johnson, I., Keene, R., Landry, P., Gradeck, R., Lucht, J., Beach, S., Clougherty, J.
- Assessing Cross-National Equivalence of Measures of Xenophobia: Evidence from Probing in Web Surveys; 2012; Behr, D., Braun, M., Kaczmirek, L.
- Studying Migrants with the Help of the Internet: Methods from Psychology; 2012; Reips, U. -D., Buffardi, L.
- Adaptive web sampling in ecology; 2012; Thompson, S. K.
- Online Data Collection in the Agro-Food Sector; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- Reaching Under/Never Screened Populations Using an Online Survey; 2012; Filsinger, B., Gesink, D., Mihic, A., Kreiger, N.
- Psychometric properties of an internet administered version of the Marlowe-Crowne Social Desirability...; 2012; Vesteinsdottir, V., Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Porsdottir, F.
- Research design for studying online communities with web surveys; 2012; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Case study: Respondent perspective on survey response; 2012; Jarrett, C.
- Presidential Elections in Iceland 2012 – Did online panel surveys give false hope to new candidates...; 2012; Jonsdottir, G. A., Dofradottir, A. G., Bjornsdottir, A. E.
- Complex cross validation of new and known data in online questionnaires, Experiences from the ESS surveys...; 2012; Stax, H.-P.
- Measuring work activities and skill requirements of occupations: Experiences from a European pilot study...; 2012; Tijdens, K., De Ruijter, E., De Ruijter, J.
- Internet Mobility Survey Sampling Biases in Measuring Frequency of Use of Transport Modes ; 2012; Diana, M.
- Transferring Telephone-Based National Household Travel Survey to the Internet ; 2012; Son, S., Khattak, A., Wang, X., Chen, J.-Y.
- Qualitatively Speaking: Mobile qualitative finally hits its stride; 2012; Bryson, J.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Medical Record Data Integration with Patient-Reported Outcomes; 2012; Cascade, E., Marr, P., Winslow, M., Burgess, A., Nixon, M.
- Clinicians’ Perspectives on a Web-Based System for Routine Outcome Monitoring in Old-Age Psychiatry...; 2012; Veerbeek, M. A., Voshaar, R. C. O., Pot, A. M.
- Using Collaborative Web Technology to Construct the Health Information National Trends Survey; 2012; Moser, R. P., Beckjord, E. B., Finney Rutten, L. J., Blake, K., Hesse, B. W.
- Developing a New Mixed Mode Methodology for a Provincial Park Camper Survey in British Columbia; 2012; Dyck, B. W., Dearden, P., Rollins, R.
- A Shot in the Dark: Measurement Influence on Likelihood to Vaccination; 2012; Higgins, W. B., Thomas, R. K.
- Making a Match: Exploring the Impact of Mode Preference on Measurement; 2012; Kasabian, A., Olson, K., Smyth, J.
- Demographic Question Placement and Its Effect on Item Response Rates and Means of a Veterans Health...; 2012; Teclaw, R., Price, M.Osatuke, K.
- Using Online Panels for National Surveys of Low Incidence Populations: Findings from the CDC Influenza...; 2012; Boyle, J., Ball, S., Ding, H., Srinath, K. P., Euler, G.
- Sleep Diary Feasibility and Mode Study: Paper Vs. Electronic; 2012; Brown, J.
- Survey Mode Preference among Enrollees in the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2012; Yu, S., Brackbill, R., Walker, D., Turner, L., Farfel, M., Stellman, S., Miller, S., Li, J.
- Reducing Overreporting Voter Turnout in Seven European Countries–Results from a Survey Experiment...; 2012; Schwarzer, S., Kritzinger, S., Zeglovits, E.
- Drop-Off Point for Undergraduate Students on a Web-based Alcohol and Tobacco Use Questionnaire; 2012; Mitra, A.
- An Examination of the 2010 Census Be Counted Program and Its Effects on Census Coverage and Duplication...; 2012; Jackson, G. I., Wechter, K. M.
- The Detection and Effects of Data From Potentially Ineligible Participants in Online Survey Research...; 2012; Grey, J.
- Internet Mobility Survey Sampling Biases in Measuring Frequency of Use of Different Transport Modes; 2012; Diana, M.
- Online Versus Phone Surveys: Comparison of Results for Bicycling Survey; 2012; Xing, Y., Handy, S. L.