Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance and Research question: It is well acknowledged within online survey research that Internet surveys are prone to noncoverage error when panelists are not provided with Internet access. However, even Internet users may differ in their ability and comfort with the Internet technology. This may lead to differential willingness to participate in online surveys within the group of Internet users. If respondents differ in their levels of comfort with the Internet technology from nonrespondents, this may result in a biased sample. We study how experience with technology affects the willingness to participate in an online survey and whether respondents to the online questionnaire differ from nonrespondents in levels of technological sophistication.
Methods and Data: The data were collected in telephone recruitment interviews for a probability-based online panel. The landline and mobile telephone interviews were conducted from February to September 2011. In the course of the interview along with demographic information and some attitudinal questions, Internet-usage related questions were asked. Experience with technology, measured via several questions on Internet proficiency and mobile phone ownership and use, is studied as an addition to a framework for unit nonresponse in surveys (Groves & Couper 1998).
Results: It can be shown that those having lower levels of experience with technology are less likely to be willing to join an online panel. Some of the differences stay significant in the selection step of actual online participation. However, no effect of experience with technology can be found on data quality (marginal effect on breakoff and none for item nonresponse).
Added Value: This study implies the importance of respondents’ experiences with technology for nonresponse in various steps of the recruitment process for a panel. Taking this selectivity aspect into account may prove useful for improving recruitment protocols.
GOR Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Research on Internet (648)
- The Effect of Attempting to Recruit Respondents to a Web-Based Diary on Overall Response Rate; 2013; Cantave, M. A. Gentry, R. J.
- Are You Seeing What I am Seeing? Exploring Response Option Visual Design Effects With Eye-Tracking; 2013; Libman, A., Smyth, J. D., Olson, K.
- Tablets and Smartphones and Netbooks, Oh My! Effects of Device Type on Respondent Behavior; 2013; Ross, H., Mendelson, J., Lackey, M.
- Using Web Ex to Conduct Usability Testing of an On-Line Survey Instrument; 2013; Stettler, K.
- Online Fundraising Essentials, Second Edition; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- Tips for Evaluating Online Effectiveness; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- Worldwide online research spending; 2012
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- Selection bias of internet panel surveys: A comparison with a paper-based survey and national governmental...; 2012; Tsuboi, S. et al.
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Redeveloping the research section of Meningitis UK's website — A case study report; 2012; Witt, J. et al.
- Guide to social science data preparation. Best practice throughout the data life cycle; 2012
- Google et Médiamétrie créent une audience bimédia; 2012; Gonzales, P.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- Better Answers to Basic Questions: Enhancing the accuracy of online reach and audience metrics; 2012; van Dam, P. H., van Ossenbruggen, R., Voorend, R.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Challenges of assessing the quality of a prerecruited probability-based panel of internet users in...; 2012; Struminskaya, B., Kaczmirek, L.
- Deep Data: Qualitative Approaches to E-Research in the Digital Age; 2012; Salmons, J.
- The use of new technologies on the British Birth Cohort Studies; 2012; Calderwood, L.
- Opportunities and Challenges for the Digital Researcher; 2012; Blank, G., Morey, Y.
- Reliable Online Social Network Data Collection; 2012; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Little experience with technology as a cause of nonresponse in online surveys; 2012; Struminskaya, B., Schaurer, I., Kaczmirek, L., Bandilla, W.
- The Impact of Mobilization Media on Off-Line and Online Participation: Are Mobilization Effects Medium...; 2012; Vissers, S., Hooghe, M., Stolle, D., Maheo, V.-A.
- Succinct Survey Measures of Web-Use Skills; 2012; Hargittai, E., Hsieh, Y. P.
- Where gamification came from and why it could be here to stay; 2012; Ewing, T.
- Gamification 101 - from theory to practice - part II ; 2012; Puleston, J.
- The impact of two-stage highly interesting questions on completion rates and data quality in online...; 2012; M, Hansen, J. M; Smith, S. M.
- User models as revealed in web-based research services; 2012; Bodoff, D., Raban, D.
- User agent; 2011
- Unpublisihed internal Google report on break off rates by device type; 2011; Callegaro, M.
- The GfK NOP Media Efficiency Panel; 2011; Moy, C. et al.
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Going online with assessment; 2011; Burke, E. et al.
- Exploring the digital nation. Computer and Internet use at home; 2011
- Ethical issues in Internet research; 2011; Hoerger, M., Currell, C.
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- A Methodological Inference towards the Quantification of Technological Frames ; 2011; Cachia, E., Camilleri, P.
- The Battle For Business Data: New Technologies Critical To Researchers' Arsenal; 2011; Anderson, J.
- A Comparison of Internet-Based Participant Recruitment Methods: Engaging the Hidden Population of Cannabis...; 2011; Temple, E. C., Brown, R. F.
- The Perils of Online Surveys; 2011; McCullough, P. R.
- Mixed methods designs in marketing research; 2011; Harrison, R. L., Reilly, T. M.
- Development and Validation of a Web-Based Questionnaire for Surveying Skydivers; 2011; Nilsson, J.; Friden, C.; Buren, V.; Ang, B.
- Facebook sampling methods: some methodological proposals; 2011; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Survey Says? A Primer on Web-Based Survey Design and Distribution; 2011; Oppenheimer, A. J., Pannucci, C. J., Kasten, S. J., Haase, S. C.
- Improving online surveys; 2011; Puleston, J.