Web Survey Bibliography
Time Use Research (TUR) is usually carried out using questionnaires and diaries. Respondents complete, for example at the end of the day, all their activities of one day during consecutive fixed time-slots. Current technology, such as Smartphones and “apps”, allows TUR to be set up in a completely different way. Respondents carrying a Smartphone can enter their activities several times during a day. In addition, Smartphones enable to collect complementary data, such as the GPS location of the respondent at the time of the activity or photos and videos of the activity performed.
CentERdata, a research institute associated with Tilburg University, and The Netherlands Institute for Social Research have jointly started to collect experimental time-use data using Smartphones. CentERdata is the operator of the LISS panel (Longitudinal Internet Studies for the Social sciences); an online panel based on a true probability sample of households. For the pilot study in November 2011, a special TUR app was developed by CentERdata. We were especially interested in the suitability of the app for this purpose, the effect of this method of data collection and the influence of experience with Smartphones on the quality of the data. Therefore, we selected 50 participants who owned an Android Smartphone and 50 participants without a Smartphone. The latter participants were provided with an Android Smartphone by CentERdata, with the TUR app already installed on it. The participants owning a Smartphone could download the app.
The paper will present the willingness and capacity of respondents to participate in the Smartphone TUR study. Furthermore, we analyze differences in the response behavior between the Smartphone-owners and the respondents provided with a Smartphone for this study. Additionally, we look at the quality of the resulting data and the general feasibility of collecting TUR data in this way.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Technology (929)
- The Digital Divide: The internet and social inequality in international perspective; 2013; Ragnedda, M., Muschert, G.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- PDAs in socio-economic surveys: instrument bias, surveyor bias or both?; 2013; Escobal, J., Benites, S.
- Virtual research assistants: Replacing human interviewers by automated avatars in virtual worlds; 2013; Hasler, B. S., Tuchman, P., Friedman, D.
- Designing and conducting business surveys; 2013; Snijkers, G.,Araldsen, G., , Willimack, D. K.Jones, J.
- Computer science security research and human subjects: Emerging considerations for research ethics boards...; 2013; Buchanan, E. A., Aycock, J., Dexter, S., Dittrich, D., Hvizdak, E. E.
- HTML5 and mobile Web surveys: A Web experiment on new input types; 2013; Funke, F.
- Understanding and Applying Research Design; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- Online Survey Software; 2013; Baker, J. D.
- Survey of Cloud Computing; 2013; Furht, B.
- Worldwide online research spending; 2012
- What we can learn from unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- Using multivariate statistics, 6th Edition; 2012; Tabachnick, B. G., Fidell, L. S.
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- Tracking preference expression (DNT); 2012
- The smartphone psychology manifesto; 2012; Miller, G.
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- The cross platform report. Q2 -2012 - US; 2012
- Smartphone ownership update: September 2012; 2012; Rainie, L.
- Sensitive topics in PC Web and mobile web surveys: Is there a difference?; 2012; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Selection bias of internet panel surveys: A comparison with a paper-based survey and national governmental...; 2012; Tsuboi, S. et al.
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Redeveloping the research section of Meningitis UK's website — A case study report; 2012; Witt, J. et al.
- Participation of mobile users in traditional online studies; 2012; Jue, A.
- Online survey statistics for the mobile future. Updated with Q3 2012 data; 2012
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 3; 2012
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 2; 2012
- NBCU enlists Google, ComScore to track multiscreen Olympics viewing; 2012; Spangler, T.
- MRS Guidelines for online reseach; 2012
- Mobile usability; 2012; Nielsen, J., Budiu, R.
- Mobile email opens report 2nd half 2011; 2012
- Metering mobile usage. Insights from global Arbitron mobile trends panel; 2012; Verkasalo, H.
- Media tracker; 2012
- Measuring modern media consumption; 2012; Arini, N.
- ISO 20252. Market, opinion and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements, 2nd Edition; 2012
- Internet use in households and by individual in 2012. Eurostat Statistics in Focus 50/2012; 2012; Seybert, H.
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012 part 2; 2012
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012; 2012
- Google et Médiamétrie créent une audience bimédia; 2012; Gonzales, P.
- GMI Pinnacle; 2012
- Flowing with the mainstream. Is mobile market research finally living up to the hype?; 2012; Townsend, L.
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: Special Eurobarometer 381; 2012
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Digital Divides: A connectivity continuum for the United States. Data from the 2011 Current Population...; 2012; File, T.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- Adult gadget ownership over time (2006-2012); 2012
- 28 Questions to Help Buyers of Online Samples; 2012