Web Survey Bibliography
Time Use Research (TUR) is usually carried out using questionnaires and diaries. Respondents complete, for example at the end of the day, all their activities of one day during consecutive fixed time-slots. Current technology, such as Smartphones and “apps”, allows TUR to be set up in a completely different way. Respondents carrying a Smartphone can enter their activities several times during a day. In addition, Smartphones enable to collect complementary data, such as the GPS location of the respondent at the time of the activity or photos and videos of the activity performed.
CentERdata, a research institute associated with Tilburg University, and The Netherlands Institute for Social Research have jointly started to collect experimental time-use data using Smartphones. CentERdata is the operator of the LISS panel (Longitudinal Internet Studies for the Social sciences); an online panel based on a true probability sample of households. For the pilot study in November 2011, a special TUR app was developed by CentERdata. We were especially interested in the suitability of the app for this purpose, the effect of this method of data collection and the influence of experience with Smartphones on the quality of the data. Therefore, we selected 50 participants who owned an Android Smartphone and 50 participants without a Smartphone. The latter participants were provided with an Android Smartphone by CentERdata, with the TUR app already installed on it. The participants owning a Smartphone could download the app.
The paper will present the willingness and capacity of respondents to participate in the Smartphone TUR study. Furthermore, we analyze differences in the response behavior between the Smartphone-owners and the respondents provided with a Smartphone for this study. Additionally, we look at the quality of the resulting data and the general feasibility of collecting TUR data in this way.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Technology (1042)
- Educational use of smart phone technology: A survey of mobile phone application use by undergraduate...; 2013; Bomhold, C. R.
- Does website‐based information add any value in counseling mothers expecting a baby with severe...; 2013; Engels, A. C. et al.
- Where does the Fair Trade price premium go? Confronting consumers' request with reality; 2013; Langen, N., Adenaeuer, L.
- Customer satisfaction in Web 2.0 and information technology development; 2013; Sharma, G., Baoku, L.
- To preserve or not to preserve; 2013; Mersereau, J. E. et al.
- Media Commons: the process and value of centralizing services; 2013; Mestre, L. S.
- Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence...; 2013; A., Bonadie-Joseph, I., Cain, J.Becker, D. A.
- Dialogistic Presence on Community College Websites in Nine Megastates; 2013; Shadinger, D.
- Research staff and public engagement: a UK study; 2013; Davies, S.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Book Review: Brand Together: How Co-creation Generates Innovation and Re-energizes Brands, by Nicholas...; 2013; Wilson, A.
- Digging deeper: using implicit tests to define consumers' semantic network; 2013; Riviere, P., Cuny, C., Allain, G., Vereijken, C.
- Conceptualising and evaluating experiences with brands on Facebook; 2013; Smith, S.
- Lotteries and study results in market research online panels; 2013; Goeritz, A.; Luthe, S. C.
- Estimates on the effectiveness of web application firewalls against targeted attacks; 2013; Holm, H., Ekstedt, M.
- Respondent Rewards: Money for Nothing?; 2013; Martin, P.
- Did I Do That? How Trap Questions Can Hurt Data Quality; 2013; Phillips, K.
- Interactive applets on the Web for methods and statistics; 2013; Reips, U. -D., McClelland, G.
- Utilization of High-Technology to Collect Health Risk Assessment Information from Medicare Members:...; 2013; Freedman, D., VanderHorst, N.
- Web Coverage in the UK and its Potential Impact on General Population Web Surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population; 2013; Lynn, P.
- To Click, Type, or Drag? Evaluating Speed of Survey Data Input Methods; 2013; Husser, J. A., Husser, J. A.
- Online Case Studies: HESI Exit Exam Scores and NCLEX-RN Outcomes; 2013; Young, A., Rose, G., Willson, P.
- How virtual corporate social responsibility dialogs generate value: A framework and propositions; 2013; Korschun, D., Du, S.
- Customer loyalty to a commercial website: Descriptive meta-analysis of the empirical literature and...; 2013; Toufaily, E., Ricard, L., Perrien, J.
- The moderating role of socio-semantic networks on online buzz diffusion; 2013; Lee, H., Lee, D. I., Kim, T., Kim, T., Lee, J.
- Discovering interest groups for marketing in virtual communities: An integrated approach; 2013; Wang, K. -Y., Wu, H. -J., Ting, I -H.
- Understanding service quality in a virtual travel community environment; 2013; Elliot, S., Li, G., Choi, C.
- Research note: E-store image, perceived value and perceived risk; 2013; Chang, E. -C., Tseng, Y. -F.
- Retail relationships in a digital age; 2013; Keeling, K., Keeling, D., McGoldrick, P.
- Gamification Master Class; 2013; Puleston, J.
- Research Communities in Asia Pacific: A review of similarities and contrasts; 2013; Poynter, R.
- Why Big Data is a Small Idea…and Why You Shouldn’t Worry So Much; 2013; Needel, S.
- ‘Digital Methods as Mainstream Methodology’: Building capacity in the research community...; 2013; Roberts, S., Hine, C., Morey, Y., Snee, H., Watson, H.
- Digital technology and data collection; 2013; Henriksen, B., Jewitt, C., Price, S., Sakr, M.
- The impact of website content dimension and e-trust on e-marketing effectiveness: The case of Iranian...; 2013; Rahimnia, F., Farzaneh Hassanzadeh, J.
- Service with an e-smile: Employee authenticity and customer use of web-based support services; 2013; Turel, O., Connelly, C. E., Fisk, G. M.
- Survey Breakoffs in a Computer-Assisted Telephone Interview; 2013; McGonagle, K.
- The Technology Behind Mobile Research: Browsers vs. Apps ; 2013; Macer, T.
- Methodological, legal and technical perspectives on the feasibility of web survey paradata in German...; 2013; Sattelberger, S.
- Random versus Systematic Error in a Mixed Mode Online-Telephone Survey; 2013; Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Boeve, A., Boeve, A., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: implications for nonresponse; 2013; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M.
- Mobility and Smartphones: a pilot study of travel data collection among experienced and inexperienced...; 2013; Douhou, S., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Mobile devices a way to recruit hard-to-reach groups? Results from a pilot study comparing desk top...; 2013; Toepoel, V., Lugtig, P. J.
- Exploring patterns of academic usage: A Google Scholar based study of ESS, EVS, WVS and ISSP academic...; 2013; Malnar, B.
- The State of Technology in Market Research; 2013; Macer, T.
- Avatare in der Marktforschung: Effekte künst-licher Interviewer im Online-Interview; 2013; Luetters, H.
- Historic Resource Surveys and the Internet; 2013; The Center for Historic Architecture University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture