Web Survey Bibliography
Time Use Research (TUR) is usually carried out using questionnaires and diaries. Respondents complete, for example at the end of the day, all their activities of one day during consecutive fixed time-slots. Current technology, such as Smartphones and “apps”, allows TUR to be set up in a completely different way. Respondents carrying a Smartphone can enter their activities several times during a day. In addition, Smartphones enable to collect complementary data, such as the GPS location of the respondent at the time of the activity or photos and videos of the activity performed.
CentERdata, a research institute associated with Tilburg University, and The Netherlands Institute for Social Research have jointly started to collect experimental time-use data using Smartphones. CentERdata is the operator of the LISS panel (Longitudinal Internet Studies for the Social sciences); an online panel based on a true probability sample of households. For the pilot study in November 2011, a special TUR app was developed by CentERdata. We were especially interested in the suitability of the app for this purpose, the effect of this method of data collection and the influence of experience with Smartphones on the quality of the data. Therefore, we selected 50 participants who owned an Android Smartphone and 50 participants without a Smartphone. The latter participants were provided with an Android Smartphone by CentERdata, with the TUR app already installed on it. The participants owning a Smartphone could download the app.
The paper will present the willingness and capacity of respondents to participate in the Smartphone TUR study. Furthermore, we analyze differences in the response behavior between the Smartphone-owners and the respondents provided with a Smartphone for this study. Additionally, we look at the quality of the resulting data and the general feasibility of collecting TUR data in this way.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Mode comparisons (1566)
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- Estimating Mode Effects Without Bias: A Randomized Experiment to Compare Mode Effects Between Face-to...; 2013; Rivers, D., Vavreck, L.
- How Mobile Stacks Up to Traditional Online: A Comparison of Studies; 2013; Knowles, R.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Thoughts on using the new online qualitative tools; 2013; Freund, N. M.
- Use of mobile devices to answer online surveys: implications for research; 2013; Cunningham, J. A., Neighbors, C., Bertholet, N., Hendershot, C. S.
- Comparison of Smartphone and Online Computer Survey Administration; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- A Comparison of Data Quality Across Modes in a Mixed-Mode Collection of Administrative Records; 2013; Worthy, M., Mayclin, D.
- To Click, Type, or Drag? Evaluating Speed of Survey Data Input Methods; 2013; Husser, J. A., Husser, J. A.
- Can Online Surveys Substitute Traditional Modes? An Error-Based Comparison of Online and On-Site Tourism...; 2013; Kim, N., Yu, X., Schwartz, Z.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on High School Risk Behavior Data: a Comparison between Web and Paper-based...; 2013; Raghupathy, S., Hahn-Smith, S.
- Web-Based Versus Traditional Paper Questionnaires: A Mixed-Mode Survey With a Nordic Perspective; 2013; Hohwue, L., Lyshol, H., Gissler, M., Hrafn Jonsson, S., Petzold, M., Obel, C.
- Multimode, Global Scale Usage: Understanding respondent scale usage across borders and devices; 2013; Pettit, F. A., Courtright, M.
- Advanced Research Methods Training in the UK: Current Provision and Future Strategies; 2013; Moley, S., Wiles, R., Sturgis, P.
- Doing real time research: Opportunities and challenges; 2013; Back, L., Lury, C., Zimmer, R.
- Mode effect analysis and adjustment in a split-sample mixed-mode Web/CATI survey; 2013; Kolenikov, S., Kennedy, C.
- Comparative analysis of data from web and face-to-face surveys. A case study on e-commerce in young...; 2013; Cappello, C., Pellegrino, D.
- Evaluating the left‐right dimension: Category Selection Probing conducted in an online access...; 2013; Huefken , V.
- From Face‐to‐face to Web: Consequences for Measurement of Complex and Open‐ended Questions...; 2013; Villar, A., Fitzgerald, R., Martin, P., Harrison, E., Gatrrell, L.
- Computers, Tablet & Smart Phones: The Truth about Web‐based Surveys; 2013; Merle, P., Gearhart, S., Craig, C., Rahimi, M., Brooks, M. E., Vandyke, M.
- Avatare in der Marktforschung: Effekte künst-licher Interviewer im Online-Interview; 2013; Luetters, H.
- Leveraging Auxiliary Data, Differential Incentives, and Survey Mode to Target Hard-to-Reach Groups in...; 2013; Link, M. W., Thu Burks, A.
- Filling the Void: Gaining a Better Understanding of Tablet-based Surveys; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- Old versus New: The Comparative Efficiency of Mail and Internet Surveys of State Legislators.; 2013; Fisher, S. H., Herrick, R.
- Mail and Web-Based Survey Administration: A Case Study With Recreational Users of Virginia's Wildlife...; 2013; Carrozzino-Lyon, A. L., McMullin, S. L., Parkhurst, J. A.
- Comparing Web-based with Mail Survey Administration of the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers...; 2013; Bergeson , S. C., Gray, J., Ehrmantraut, L. A., Hays, R. D.
- Effect of survey mode on response patterns: comparison of face-to-face and self-administered modes in...; 2013; Illemann Christensen, A., Ekholm, O., Gluemer, C., Juel, K.
- Self-Rated Health Assessed by Web Versus Mail Modes in a Mixed Mode Survey: The Digital Divide Effect...; 2013; Shim, J.-M., Shin, E., Johnson, T. P.
- Current UK provision of web panaels and Omnibus; 2013; Lagorio, C.
- Feasibility of Using Web to Survey at a Sample of Addresses: a UK ESS experiment; 2013; Villar, A.
- Evaluation of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design Experiment with Physicians on Response Rates, Costs, and...; 2013; Geisen, E., Olmsted, M. G., Murphy, J., Stanley, M.
- When We Do Not Know the Difference – the Level of DK in Different Question Formats and Different...; 2013; Schwarzer, S., Zeglovits, E., Connor, D. S.
- New Versus Old Technologies: An Examination of Usability and Cognitive Issues Across Modes Among Respondents...; 2013; Nichols, E. M., Goerman, P. L., Jurgenson, N., King, T., Olmsted, M. G., Childs, J. H.
- Augmenting Paper Diaries With Phone and Web Data Retrieval: Is it Effective?; 2013; Wargelin, L., Minser, J., Homer, Z., Fleeman, A., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Alone in a Group: Comparison of Effects of a Group-Administered Paper-Pencil Survey Versus an Individually...; 2013; Higgins, W. B., Barlas, F. M., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on Socially Undesirable Responses to Open Ended Questions: Online vs. Paper...; 2013; Hedberg, E., Ceasar, G., Wallace, D.
- Mobile Browser Web Surveys: Testing Response Rates, Data Quality and Best Practices; 2013; McGeeney, K., Marlar, J.
- Comparing Tablet, Computer, and Smartphone Survey Administrations; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- Mode Choice on an iPhone Increases Survey Data Quality; 2013; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F., Zhang, C., Yan, H. G., Vickers, L., Johnston, M., Hupp, A., Hemingway...
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: Findings From Seven Access Panel Studies; 2013; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Funke, F.
- The Relations Among Different Cognitive Shortcuts in Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Medway, R., Presser, S.
- The Effect of Attempting to Recruit Respondents to a Web-Based Diary on Overall Response Rate; 2013; Cantave, M. A. Gentry, R. J.
- Changing of the Guard: Effects of Different Self-Administered Survey Modes on Sensitive Questions; 2013; Barlas, F. M., Higgins, W. B., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- Estimating Measurement Effects of Survey Modes From Between and Within Subject Designs; 2013; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Web Versus Outbound: A Mode Face-Off Following the Presidential Debate; 2013; Marlar, J.
- Innovative Retention Methods in Panel Research: Can SmartPhones Improve Long-Term Panel Participation...; 2013; Dayton, J. J., Dyer, A.
- Using GIS to Target Address-Based Samples of Households for a Web (vs. Mail) Response: Evidence from...; 2013; Messer, B. L.
- Is Pushing the General Public to the Web in Address-Based Samples Cost Effective?; 2013; Lesser, V. M.