Web Survey Bibliography
Time Use Research (TUR) is usually carried out using questionnaires and diaries. Respondents complete, for example at the end of the day, all their activities of one day during consecutive fixed time-slots. Current technology, such as Smartphones and “apps”, allows TUR to be set up in a completely different way. Respondents carrying a Smartphone can enter their activities several times during a day. In addition, Smartphones enable to collect complementary data, such as the GPS location of the respondent at the time of the activity or photos and videos of the activity performed.
CentERdata, a research institute associated with Tilburg University, and The Netherlands Institute for Social Research have jointly started to collect experimental time-use data using Smartphones. CentERdata is the operator of the LISS panel (Longitudinal Internet Studies for the Social sciences); an online panel based on a true probability sample of households. For the pilot study in November 2011, a special TUR app was developed by CentERdata. We were especially interested in the suitability of the app for this purpose, the effect of this method of data collection and the influence of experience with Smartphones on the quality of the data. Therefore, we selected 50 participants who owned an Android Smartphone and 50 participants without a Smartphone. The latter participants were provided with an Android Smartphone by CentERdata, with the TUR app already installed on it. The participants owning a Smartphone could download the app.
The paper will present the willingness and capacity of respondents to participate in the Smartphone TUR study. Furthermore, we analyze differences in the response behavior between the Smartphone-owners and the respondents provided with a Smartphone for this study. Additionally, we look at the quality of the resulting data and the general feasibility of collecting TUR data in this way.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Beauty is more than screen deep: Improving the web survey respondent experience through socially-present...; 2014; Casey, T. W., Poropat, A.
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- Educational use of smart phone technology: A survey of mobile phone application use by undergraduate...; 2013; Bomhold, C. R.
- Optimal Resource Allocation in Adaptive Survey Designs; 2013; Calinescu, M.
- Does website‐based information add any value in counseling mothers expecting a baby with severe...; 2013; Engels, A. C. et al.
- Middle School Sexual Harassment, Violence and Social Networks; 2013; Mumford, E. A. et al.
- Flexible insulin dosing improves health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL): a time trade-off survey; 2013; Evans, M. et al.
- Where does the Fair Trade price premium go? Confronting consumers' request with reality; 2013; Langen, N., Adenaeuer, L.
- Customer satisfaction in Web 2.0 and information technology development; 2013; Sharma, G., Baoku, L.
- To preserve or not to preserve; 2013; Mersereau, J. E. et al.
- Media Commons: the process and value of centralizing services; 2013; Mestre, L. S.
- Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence...; 2013; A., Bonadie-Joseph, I., Cain, J.Becker, D. A.
- Dialogistic Presence on Community College Websites in Nine Megastates; 2013; Shadinger, D.
- Research staff and public engagement: a UK study; 2013; Davies, S.
- Foreign workers in Saudi Arabia: a field study of role ambiguity, identification, information-seeking...; 2013; Showail, S. J., McLean Parks, J., Smith, F. L.
- Reaching and Hearing the Invisible: Organizational Research on Invisible Stigmatized Groups via Web...; 2013; Trau, R. N. C. et al.
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- Experiments in Obtaining Data Linkage Consent in Web Surveys ; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W., Kreuter, F.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Response Burden in Official Business Surveys: Measurement and Reduction Practices of National Statistical...; 2013; Giesen, D., Bavdaz, M., Loefgren, T., Raymond-Blaess, V.
- Should the third reminder be sent? The role of survey response timing on web survey results; 2013; Rao, K., Pennington, J.
- Factors affecting the decision to participate in the internet option for the 2010 Census of Korea ; 2013; Lee, E., Kim, S.
- Internet as a new source of information for the production of official statistics. Experiences of Statistics...; 2013; Heerschap, N.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Web Panels for Official Statistics? ; 2013; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F.
- Assessing Nonresponse Bias in the Green Technologies and Practices Survey; 2013; Meekins, B., Sverchkov, M., Stang, S.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- The Role of Mode Preference Questions in Predicting Mode-Specific Response Propensities; 2013; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- How Does Online Survey Mode Affect Answers to Customer Feedback Loyalty Surveys?; 2013; Gupta, A., Lee, J.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Model-Based Mode of Data Collection Switching from Internet to Mail in the American Community Survey; 2013; Chesnut, J.
- Estimating Mode Effects Without Bias: A Randomized Experiment to Compare Mode Effects Between Face-to...; 2013; Rivers, D., Vavreck, L.
- Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference: Quantitative And Qualitative Methodologies In The Economic...; 2013; Frangos, C. (ed.)
- How Mobile Stacks Up to Traditional Online: A Comparison of Studies; 2013; Knowles, R.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Development of a Questionnaire and Cross-Sectional Survey of Patient eHealth Readiness and eHealth Inequalities...; 2013; Jones, R.
- Assessment of Diet and Physical Activity of Brazilian Schoolchildren: Usability Testing of a Web-Based...; 2013; da Costa, F. F., Pacheco Schmoelz, C., Fernandes Davies, V., Di Pietro, P. F., Kupek, E., de Assis,...
- Why respondents suffer if you're not mobile-ready; 2013; Knapton, K.
- 4 ways mobile research challenges insights pros; 2013; Rajan, B.
- Thoughts on retrieving information from open-ended questions; 2013; Luyens, S.
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Book Review: Brand Together: How Co-creation Generates Innovation and Re-energizes Brands, by Nicholas...; 2013; Wilson, A.
- Digging deeper: using implicit tests to define consumers' semantic network; 2013; Riviere, P., Cuny, C., Allain, G., Vereijken, C.