Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: We study the (non)response behaviour in web surveys using paradata which offer a full insight into the questionnaire response process, allowing to observing the behaviour of respondents when going through the questionnaire. We use Bosnjak and Tuten’s (2001) classification of seven groups of web survey participants: complete responders, unit nonresponders, answering drop-outs, lurkers, lurking drop-outs, item nonresponderns and item non-responding drop-outs. This classification is important for understanding the web survey process and to develop standardized response metrics to measure web survey (non)response rates.
Methods & Data: We applied above classification to study the behaviour of respondents in a sample of 50 surveys selected out of more than 2,000 web surveys, hosted by a web survey service at our University. Participants were classified into seven categories based on the available paradata. These include time stamps, information on participants' equipment, data on how many pages of the questionnaire were viewed and how many responses given by each respondent before quitting the survey. We develop a methodology how to use paradata to classify units into the 7 categories. A two-level statistical analysis is then performed on collected data taking into account the level of individual respondents and the level of the survey.
Results: We show that classifying participants into several response categories and study their characteristics allow better insight into the survey response process. We also show which characteristics of participants (better equipment) and which characteristics of survey design (length, topic) influence certain response behavior.
Added Value: Studying several surveys with a meta-analytical approach and performing a two-level statistical analysis is relatively rare and new approach in this area. It provides precious insight into how the survey characteristics influence the behavior. Based on that, new knowledge is generated about tailoring the questionnaire design so to minimize various types of nonresponse behaviour. In addition, results enable to propose improvements of the seven group classification scheme.
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Beauty is more than screen deep: Improving the web survey respondent experience through socially-present...; 2014; Casey, T. W., Poropat, A.
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- Educational use of smart phone technology: A survey of mobile phone application use by undergraduate...; 2013; Bomhold, C. R.
- Optimal Resource Allocation in Adaptive Survey Designs; 2013; Calinescu, M.
- Does website‐based information add any value in counseling mothers expecting a baby with severe...; 2013; Engels, A. C. et al.
- Middle School Sexual Harassment, Violence and Social Networks; 2013; Mumford, E. A. et al.
- Flexible insulin dosing improves health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL): a time trade-off survey; 2013; Evans, M. et al.
- Where does the Fair Trade price premium go? Confronting consumers' request with reality; 2013; Langen, N., Adenaeuer, L.
- Customer satisfaction in Web 2.0 and information technology development; 2013; Sharma, G., Baoku, L.
- To preserve or not to preserve; 2013; Mersereau, J. E. et al.
- Media Commons: the process and value of centralizing services; 2013; Mestre, L. S.
- Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence...; 2013; A., Bonadie-Joseph, I., Cain, J.Becker, D. A.
- Dialogistic Presence on Community College Websites in Nine Megastates; 2013; Shadinger, D.
- Research staff and public engagement: a UK study; 2013; Davies, S.
- Foreign workers in Saudi Arabia: a field study of role ambiguity, identification, information-seeking...; 2013; Showail, S. J., McLean Parks, J., Smith, F. L.
- Reaching and Hearing the Invisible: Organizational Research on Invisible Stigmatized Groups via Web...; 2013; Trau, R. N. C. et al.
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- Experiments in Obtaining Data Linkage Consent in Web Surveys ; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W., Kreuter, F.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Response Burden in Official Business Surveys: Measurement and Reduction Practices of National Statistical...; 2013; Giesen, D., Bavdaz, M., Loefgren, T., Raymond-Blaess, V.
- Should the third reminder be sent? The role of survey response timing on web survey results; 2013; Rao, K., Pennington, J.
- Factors affecting the decision to participate in the internet option for the 2010 Census of Korea ; 2013; Lee, E., Kim, S.
- Internet as a new source of information for the production of official statistics. Experiences of Statistics...; 2013; Heerschap, N.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Web Panels for Official Statistics? ; 2013; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F.
- Assessing Nonresponse Bias in the Green Technologies and Practices Survey; 2013; Meekins, B., Sverchkov, M., Stang, S.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- The Role of Mode Preference Questions in Predicting Mode-Specific Response Propensities; 2013; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- How Does Online Survey Mode Affect Answers to Customer Feedback Loyalty Surveys?; 2013; Gupta, A., Lee, J.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Model-Based Mode of Data Collection Switching from Internet to Mail in the American Community Survey; 2013; Chesnut, J.
- Estimating Mode Effects Without Bias: A Randomized Experiment to Compare Mode Effects Between Face-to...; 2013; Rivers, D., Vavreck, L.
- Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference: Quantitative And Qualitative Methodologies In The Economic...; 2013; Frangos, C. (ed.)
- How Mobile Stacks Up to Traditional Online: A Comparison of Studies; 2013; Knowles, R.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Development of a Questionnaire and Cross-Sectional Survey of Patient eHealth Readiness and eHealth Inequalities...; 2013; Jones, R.
- Assessment of Diet and Physical Activity of Brazilian Schoolchildren: Usability Testing of a Web-Based...; 2013; da Costa, F. F., Pacheco Schmoelz, C., Fernandes Davies, V., Di Pietro, P. F., Kupek, E., de Assis,...
- Why respondents suffer if you're not mobile-ready; 2013; Knapton, K.
- 4 ways mobile research challenges insights pros; 2013; Rajan, B.
- Thoughts on retrieving information from open-ended questions; 2013; Luyens, S.
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Book Review: Brand Together: How Co-creation Generates Innovation and Re-energizes Brands, by Nicholas...; 2013; Wilson, A.
- Digging deeper: using implicit tests to define consumers' semantic network; 2013; Riviere, P., Cuny, C., Allain, G., Vereijken, C.