Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
Real-time-response (RTR) measurement is a useful data-collection tool for academic and applied research, as it enables the measurement of viewer reactions during the reception process. However, traditional RTR studies which are conducted in laboratory settings often require expensive special equipment and extensive planning and coordinating efforts. Furthermore, the technical equipment often only allows for a limited number of participants and offers little flexibility with regard to adjusting the functions of the measurement devices. Therefore, we developed the MediaLiveTracker, an online-based RTR tool which tackles some of these limitations.
Methods & Data:
MediaLiveTracker is an online-based tool to collect subjective recipient data during the reception of a streamed or recorded audio or video stimulus. The video player provides highly adaptable rating elements, like a slider, a dial or push-buttons which can be used for real-time data collection. It can easily be implemented into online survey tools. The underlying Open Source framework Drupal allows for a flexible content and user management and has been enhanced by custom modules, like a dynamic user account creation.
In a first validation study, we used MediaLiveTracker to measure the evaluation of five politicians during a political talk show. A convenience sample of 77 participants was surveyed directly before and after the discussion. During the 1,75 hours of the talk show, they rated the performance of each politician with push-buttons which meant more than 18.000 ratings in total.
Because of the numerous ratings, the scalability of the system posed some challenges during the first pilots. After some reconfigurations, these performance problems could be solved and a stable system can be assured now. The study’s results show promising indicators for the criterion validity of MediaLiveTracker’s measurements. Concurrent validity (operationalized as correlations between the real-time evaluations of the candidates) as well as predictive validity (operationalized as correlations between evaluations of each candidate before, during and after the stimulus) can be considered as appropriate. Participants rated the survey experience positively.
MediaLiveTracker is a valuable device for researchers who wish to measure recipient judgments during the reception process with an affordable and flexible online-tool.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Costs (497)
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Model-Based Mode of Data Collection Switching from Internet to Mail in the American Community Survey; 2013; Chesnut, J.
- How incentives affect web-based survey response rates of athletic program donors; 2013; Alvarado, G., Callison, C.
- Investigating the Bias of Alternative Statistical Inference Methods in Sequential Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2013; Suzer-Gurtekin, Z., Heeringa, S. G., Valliant, R. L.
- Random versus Systematic Error in a Mixed Mode Online-Telephone Survey; 2013; Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Boeve, A., Boeve, A., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Web questionnaires in official population surveys: Do's and don'ts First experiments and impacts...; 2013; Blanke, K.
- A walking exercise on a tightrope: trying to balance coverage, probabilistic sampling and the costs...; 2013; Poggio, T.
- Leveraging Auxiliary Data, Differential Incentives, and Survey Mode to Target Hard-to-Reach Groups in...; 2013; Link, M. W., Thu Burks, A.
- Mail and Web-Based Survey Administration: A Case Study With Recreational Users of Virginia's Wildlife...; 2013; Carrozzino-Lyon, A. L., McMullin, S. L., Parkhurst, J. A.
- Using Mixed-Mode Contacts in Client Surveys: Getting More Bang for Your Buck; 2013; Israel, G. D.
- Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Prevention, Diagnostics, and Adjustment 1; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Dillman, D. A., Schouten, B.
- Scientific impact of the MESS Project: A brief overview; 2013; Das, M.
- What works? Getting the General Population To Go Online in a Mixed Mode Local Health Survey; 2013; Frigault, L.-R., Azzou, S. A. K., Molloy, E. J. K., Ammarguellat, F., Couture, M., Gratton, J.
- ONS Plans for Web Data Collection in LFS; 2013; Lound, C.
- Using Technology to Conduct Questionnaire Evaluations with Hard to Reach Populations ; 2013; Ridolfo, H., Ott, K.
- Evaluation of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design Experiment with Physicians on Response Rates, Costs, and...; 2013; Geisen, E., Olmsted, M. G., Murphy, J., Stanley, M.
- Mode Effects in a National Establishment Survey; 2013; Daley, K., Phillips, B. T.
- Differential Incentives in a Dual Mode Survey of Health Care Providers; 2013; Roff, B., Barrett, K.
- Comparisons of Online Recruitment Strategies: Craigslist, Facebook, Google Ads and Amazon’s Mechanical...; 2013; Antoun, C., Zhang, C., Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.
- Is Pushing the General Public to the Web in Address-Based Samples Cost Effective?; 2013; Lesser, V. M.
- Using the iPad as a Prize-Based Incentive to Boost Response Rates: A Case Study at Brigham Young University...; 2013; McClendon, R., Olsen, D.
- Examining the Effects of Interventions to Obtain Participation via Less Expensive Modes: Results from...; 2013; Harris-Kojetin, L., Sengupta, M., Hobbs, M., Greene, A.
- Survey Reminder Method Experiment: An Examination of Cost Efficiency and Reminder Mode Salience in the...; 2013; Anderson, M., Rogers, B., CyBulski, K., Hall, J. W., Alderks, C. E., Milazzo-Sayre, L.
- The Use of Email, Text Messages, and Facebook to Increase Response Rates Among Adolescents in a Longitudinal...; 2013; Fleeman, A., Francis, K., Henderson, T., Woodford, M., Jani, M.
- Responsive Design for Web Panel Data Collection; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Comparing the Effects of Mode Design on Response Rate, Representativeness, and Cost Per Complete in...; 2013; Tully, R.
- The Effects of Pushing Web in a Mixed-Mode Establishment Data Collection; 2013; Ellis, C.
- Methodological Considerations of Qualitative Email Interviews; 2013; Nehls, K.
- Compared to a small, supervised lab experiment, a large, unsupervised web-based experiment on a previously...; 2013; Ryan, R. S., Wilde, M., Crist, S.
- Managing mobile research: How it's different and why it matters; 2013; Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Tucker, J., Wilding-Brown, L.
- A standard for test reliability in group research; 2013; Ellis, J. L.
- The General Survey System Initiative at RTI International: An Integrated System for the Collection and...; 2013; Thalji, L., Mitchell, S., A., Suresh, R., Speizer, H., Pratt, D.Hill, C. A.
- Innovation in Data Collection: the Responsive Design Approach; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Measurement effects in mixed-mode panel surveys; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- The ONS Beyond 2011 Programme & possible implications for social surveys; 2013; Morris, L.
- Issues of Coverage and Sampling in Web Surveys for the General Population: An Overview; 2013; Lynn, P.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- Effects of E-Mailed Versus Mailed Invitations and Incentives on Response Rates, Data Quality, and Costs...; 2013; Dykema, J., Stevenson, J., Klein, L., Kim, Y., Day, B.
- Measurement invariance and quality of composite scores in a face-to-face and a web survey; 2013; Revilla, M.
- Convenient yet not a convenience sample: Jury pools as experimental subject pools; 2013; Murray, G. R., Rugeley, C. R., Mitchell, D.-G., Mondak, J. J.
- Online Survey Software; 2013; Baker, J. D.
- Incentives for college student participation in web-based substance use surveys; 2013; Patrick, M. E., Singer, E., Boyd, C. J., Cranford, J. A., McCabe, S. E.
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Social media as a data collection tool: the impact of Facebook in behavioural research; 2012; Zoppos, E.
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- Can Microtargeting Improve Survey Sampling? An Assessment of Accuracy and Bias in Consumer File Marketing...; 2012; Pasek, J.
- Optimizing Response Rates; 2012; Brick, J. M.
- Modes of Data Collection; 2012; Tourangeau, R.