Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
Real-time-response (RTR) measurement is a useful data-collection tool for academic and applied research, as it enables the measurement of viewer reactions during the reception process. However, traditional RTR studies which are conducted in laboratory settings often require expensive special equipment and extensive planning and coordinating efforts. Furthermore, the technical equipment often only allows for a limited number of participants and offers little flexibility with regard to adjusting the functions of the measurement devices. Therefore, we developed the MediaLiveTracker, an online-based RTR tool which tackles some of these limitations.
Methods & Data:
MediaLiveTracker is an online-based tool to collect subjective recipient data during the reception of a streamed or recorded audio or video stimulus. The video player provides highly adaptable rating elements, like a slider, a dial or push-buttons which can be used for real-time data collection. It can easily be implemented into online survey tools. The underlying Open Source framework Drupal allows for a flexible content and user management and has been enhanced by custom modules, like a dynamic user account creation.
In a first validation study, we used MediaLiveTracker to measure the evaluation of five politicians during a political talk show. A convenience sample of 77 participants was surveyed directly before and after the discussion. During the 1,75 hours of the talk show, they rated the performance of each politician with push-buttons which meant more than 18.000 ratings in total.
Because of the numerous ratings, the scalability of the system posed some challenges during the first pilots. After some reconfigurations, these performance problems could be solved and a stable system can be assured now. The study’s results show promising indicators for the criterion validity of MediaLiveTracker’s measurements. Concurrent validity (operationalized as correlations between the real-time evaluations of the candidates) as well as predictive validity (operationalized as correlations between evaluations of each candidate before, during and after the stimulus) can be considered as appropriate. Participants rated the survey experience positively.
MediaLiveTracker is a valuable device for researchers who wish to measure recipient judgments during the reception process with an affordable and flexible online-tool.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Online qualitative research (808)
- Should the third reminder be sent? The role of survey response timing on web survey results; 2013; Rao, K., Pennington, J.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference: Quantitative And Qualitative Methodologies In The Economic...; 2013; Frangos, C. (ed.)
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Leveraging mobile and online qualitative to get inside shoppers’ heads; 2013; Bryson, J., Ritzo, J.
- A report on the Confirmit Market Research Software Survey 2013; 2013; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Thoughts on using the new online qualitative tools; 2013; Freund, N. M.
- Web Panel Representativeness; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Utilization of High-Technology to Collect Health Risk Assessment Information from Medicare Members:...; 2013; Freedman, D., VanderHorst, N.
- Going online with a face-to-face household panel: initial results from an experiment on the Understanding...; 2013; Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Burton, J.
- Best of Both Worlds? Can we make convenience samples representative?; 2013; Doe, P.
- Why Big Data is a Small Idea…and Why You Shouldn’t Worry So Much; 2013; Needel, S.
- Insights into Action Profiling shopping occasions for retailers through mobile and online research; 2013; Churkina, O., Morris, T.
- Explaining Interview Duration in Web Surveys on Political Attitudes and Behavior: A Multilevel Approach...; 2013; Gummer, T., Rossmann, J.
- An Examination of the Relationship Between Pretest Method Results and Data Quality; 2013; Maitland, A.
- Avatare in der Marktforschung: Effekte künst-licher Interviewer im Online-Interview; 2013; Luetters, H.
- Möglichkeiten zur impliziten Messung von Emotionen am Beispiel webcambasierter Gesichtsausdruckserkennung...; 2013; Wachenfeld, A., Moentmann, A., Bernet, F.
- Does It Pay Off to Include Non-Internet Households in an Internet Panel? ; 2013; Leenheer, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Video Interviewing: An Exploration of the Feasibility as a Mode of Survey Application; 2013; Jeannis, M., Terry, T. L., Heman-Ackah, R., Price, M.
- The 2012 Confirmit Annual Market Research Software Survey; 2013; Macer, T., Wilson, S.
- Data Collection in Sociolinguistics: Methods and Applications; 2013; Mallinson, C., Childs, B., Van Herk, G.
- Survey Sidekick: Learning & designing scientifically sound surveys; 2013; Hsiao, I.-H., Malhotra, M., Joo, J., Chae, H. S., Natriello, G.
- A probability-based web panel for UK policy research: some initial thoughts from a Government survey...; 2013; Littlechild, J.
- Factors Influencing Survey Participation Rates on an Online, Probability-Based Research Panel; 2013; Wiest, D.
- Effects of Self-Awareness on Disclosure During Skype Survey Interviews; 2013; Feuer, S., Schober, M. F.
- Will Snowball Sampling Leave Your Data in the Cold?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Panel Attrition: Separating Stayers, Sleepers and Other Types of Drop-Out in an Internet Panel; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Cognitive Interviewing in Online Modes: a Comparison of Data Collected in Second Life and Skype; 2013; Swicegood, J. E., Head, B., Dean, E., Keating, M.
- Effects of Displaying Videos on Measurement in a Web Survey; 2013; Mendelson, J., Gibson, J. L., Romano Bergstrom, J. C.
- Innovative Retention Methods in Panel Research: Can SmartPhones Improve Long-Term Panel Participation...; 2013; Dayton, J. J., Dyer, A.
- Predicting Survey Breakoff in Internet Survey Panels; 2013; Al Baghal, T., McCutcheon, A. L., Tsabutashvili, D.
- Are You Seeing What I am Seeing? Exploring Response Option Visual Design Effects With Eye-Tracking; 2013; Libman, A., Smyth, J. D., Olson, K.
- Evaluating Interactive Feedback in Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing (CASI); 2013; Hudson, M. L., Hupp, A., Zhang, C., Schroeder, H. M.
- Responsive Design for Web Panel Data Collection; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Using Web Ex to Conduct Usability Testing of an On-Line Survey Instrument; 2013; Stettler, K.
- Effects of Lotteries on Response Behavior in Online Panels; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- The E-Interview in Qualitative Research; 2013; Bampton, R., Cowton, C., Downs, Y.
- Methodological Considerations of Qualitative Email Interviews; 2013; Nehls, K.
- Research Intentions are Nothing without Technology: Mixed-Method Web Surveys and the Coberen Wall of...; 2013; Ganassali, S., Rodriguez-Santos, C.
- Using Web Surveys for Psychology Experiments: A Case Study in New Media Technology for Research; 2013; Peden, B. F., Tiry , A. M.
- Virtual research assistants: Replacing human interviewers by automated avatars in virtual worlds; 2013; Hasler, B. S., Tuchman, P., Friedman, D.
- Compared to a small, supervised lab experiment, a large, unsupervised web-based experiment on a previously...; 2013; Ryan, R. S., Wilde, M., Crist, S.
- An approach to selecting online respondents; 2013; Terhanian, G.
- By the Numbers: Theory of adaptation or survival of the fittest?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Using a web-based survey tool to undertake a Delphi study: Application for nurse education research; 2013; Gill, F. J., Leslie, G. D., Grech, C., Latour, J. M.
- Pros and cons of virtual interviewers – vote in the discussion about surveytainment; 2013; Póltorak, M., Kowalski, J.
- Does one really know?: Avoiding noninformative answers in a reliable way.; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Boevee, A., Hox, J.
- Sampling online communities: using triplets as basis for a (semi-) automated hyperlink web crawler.; 2013; Veny, Y.