Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question:
Real-time-response (RTR) measurement is a useful data-collection tool for academic and applied research, as it enables the measurement of viewer reactions during the reception process. However, traditional RTR studies which are conducted in laboratory settings often require expensive special equipment and extensive planning and coordinating efforts. Furthermore, the technical equipment often only allows for a limited number of participants and offers little flexibility with regard to adjusting the functions of the measurement devices. Therefore, we developed the MediaLiveTracker, an online-based RTR tool which tackles some of these limitations.
Methods & Data:
MediaLiveTracker is an online-based tool to collect subjective recipient data during the reception of a streamed or recorded audio or video stimulus. The video player provides highly adaptable rating elements, like a slider, a dial or push-buttons which can be used for real-time data collection. It can easily be implemented into online survey tools. The underlying Open Source framework Drupal allows for a flexible content and user management and has been enhanced by custom modules, like a dynamic user account creation.
In a first validation study, we used MediaLiveTracker to measure the evaluation of five politicians during a political talk show. A convenience sample of 77 participants was surveyed directly before and after the discussion. During the 1,75 hours of the talk show, they rated the performance of each politician with push-buttons which meant more than 18.000 ratings in total.
Because of the numerous ratings, the scalability of the system posed some challenges during the first pilots. After some reconfigurations, these performance problems could be solved and a stable system can be assured now. The study’s results show promising indicators for the criterion validity of MediaLiveTracker’s measurements. Concurrent validity (operationalized as correlations between the real-time evaluations of the candidates) as well as predictive validity (operationalized as correlations between evaluations of each candidate before, during and after the stimulus) can be considered as appropriate. Participants rated the survey experience positively.
MediaLiveTracker is a valuable device for researchers who wish to measure recipient judgments during the reception process with an affordable and flexible online-tool.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Beauty is more than screen deep: Improving the web survey respondent experience through socially-present...; 2014; Casey, T. W., Poropat, A.
- Adaptive survey designs to minimize survey mode effects. A case study on the Dutch Labour Force Survey...; 2013; Calinescu, M., Schouten, B.
- Measurement error calibration in mixed-mode sample surveys; 2013; Buelens, B., van der Brakel, J.
- Educational use of smart phone technology: A survey of mobile phone application use by undergraduate...; 2013; Bomhold, C. R.
- Optimal Resource Allocation in Adaptive Survey Designs; 2013; Calinescu, M.
- Does website‐based information add any value in counseling mothers expecting a baby with severe...; 2013; Engels, A. C. et al.
- Middle School Sexual Harassment, Violence and Social Networks; 2013; Mumford, E. A. et al.
- Flexible insulin dosing improves health-related quality-of-life (HRQoL): a time trade-off survey; 2013; Evans, M. et al.
- Where does the Fair Trade price premium go? Confronting consumers' request with reality; 2013; Langen, N., Adenaeuer, L.
- Customer satisfaction in Web 2.0 and information technology development; 2013; Sharma, G., Baoku, L.
- To preserve or not to preserve; 2013; Mersereau, J. E. et al.
- Media Commons: the process and value of centralizing services; 2013; Mestre, L. S.
- Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence...; 2013; A., Bonadie-Joseph, I., Cain, J.Becker, D. A.
- Dialogistic Presence on Community College Websites in Nine Megastates; 2013; Shadinger, D.
- Research staff and public engagement: a UK study; 2013; Davies, S.
- Foreign workers in Saudi Arabia: a field study of role ambiguity, identification, information-seeking...; 2013; Showail, S. J., McLean Parks, J., Smith, F. L.
- Reaching and Hearing the Invisible: Organizational Research on Invisible Stigmatized Groups via Web...; 2013; Trau, R. N. C. et al.
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- MOTUS: Modular online Time-Use Survey; 2013; Joeri, M., Ignace, G., van Tienoven, T. P., Djiwo, W.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- Experiments in Obtaining Data Linkage Consent in Web Surveys ; 2013; Sakshaug, J. W., Kreuter, F.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Response Burden in Official Business Surveys: Measurement and Reduction Practices of National Statistical...; 2013; Giesen, D., Bavdaz, M., Loefgren, T., Raymond-Blaess, V.
- Should the third reminder be sent? The role of survey response timing on web survey results; 2013; Rao, K., Pennington, J.
- Factors affecting the decision to participate in the internet option for the 2010 Census of Korea ; 2013; Lee, E., Kim, S.
- Internet as a new source of information for the production of official statistics. Experiences of Statistics...; 2013; Heerschap, N.
- Web panel surveys – can they be designed and used in a scientifically sound way?; 2013; Svensson , J.
- A standard with quality indicators for web panel surveys: a Swedish example; 2013; Nyfjaell, M.
- Web Panels for Official Statistics? ; 2013; Bethlehem, J., Cobben, F.
- Assessing Nonresponse Bias in the Green Technologies and Practices Survey; 2013; Meekins, B., Sverchkov, M., Stang, S.
- Using an Item Response Theory Approach to Measure Survey Mode of Administration Effects: Analysis of...; 2013; Mariano, L. T., Elliott, M. N.
- The Role of Mode Preference Questions in Predicting Mode-Specific Response Propensities; 2013; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- How Does Online Survey Mode Affect Answers to Customer Feedback Loyalty Surveys?; 2013; Gupta, A., Lee, J.
- Using Internet Panel Surveys for Behavioral Health Surveillance; 2013; Gotway Crawford, C., Okoro, C. A., Dhingra, S., Akcin, H., Zhao, G., Ford, D., Pierannunzi, C.
- Model-Based Mode of Data Collection Switching from Internet to Mail in the American Community Survey; 2013; Chesnut, J.
- Estimating Mode Effects Without Bias: A Randomized Experiment to Compare Mode Effects Between Face-to...; 2013; Rivers, D., Vavreck, L.
- Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference: Quantitative And Qualitative Methodologies In The Economic...; 2013; Frangos, C. (ed.)
- How Mobile Stacks Up to Traditional Online: A Comparison of Studies; 2013; Knowles, R.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Telephone Versus Internet Administration of Self-Report Measures of Social Anxiety, Depressive Symptoms...; 2013; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Blom, K., El Alaoui, S., Kraepelien, M., Rück, C., Andersson, G., Svanborg...
- Development of a Questionnaire and Cross-Sectional Survey of Patient eHealth Readiness and eHealth Inequalities...; 2013; Jones, R.
- Assessment of Diet and Physical Activity of Brazilian Schoolchildren: Usability Testing of a Web-Based...; 2013; da Costa, F. F., Pacheco Schmoelz, C., Fernandes Davies, V., Di Pietro, P. F., Kupek, E., de Assis,...
- Why respondents suffer if you're not mobile-ready; 2013; Knapton, K.
- 4 ways mobile research challenges insights pros; 2013; Rajan, B.
- Thoughts on retrieving information from open-ended questions; 2013; Luyens, S.
- Social media data demands a marriage of high-tech and high-touch; 2013; Waldheim, C., Stevens, N.
- Book Review: Brand Together: How Co-creation Generates Innovation and Re-energizes Brands, by Nicholas...; 2013; Wilson, A.
- Digging deeper: using implicit tests to define consumers' semantic network; 2013; Riviere, P., Cuny, C., Allain, G., Vereijken, C.