Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: Since the early days of online market research there has been a debate about the comparability of online generated survey data versus data from “offline” sources. In the past there have been numerous studies on this matter, most of which were designed to prove the superiority of one or the other methodology.
What is usually not taken into account here is that different survey methodologies can have a complementary effect when used side by side. Telephone surveys for example struggle a lot in reaching young age groups and the so-called “Mobile Onlys”. Online surveys cannot reach elderly people who are not connected to the internet.
For the “INSA study 50plus” in 2011 – the year in which more than half of Germany’s population was aged 50 or over - a combined setup from both online and telephone generated sample was used.
Methods & Data: In August 2011 3,055 interviews were generated, out of which N=900 were surveyed per telephone and N=2,155 online. In order to guarantee a nationally representative sample, quotas were defined on age, gender and regions for both data collection methods. The INSA questionnaire contained 137 questions and covered 15 different topics. Since there was a significant increase of drop-outs expected for interview lengths of more than 20 minutes, both telephone and online questionnaires were split into three versions of identical length. Each respondent was randomly assigned to one of the three versions of the questionnaire. In the end, every question had been answered by a minimum of 1,000 respondents.
Results: At the closing date of this abstract the results of this comparative analysis had not yet been available. For GOR, both samples would be weighted, so that potential similarities and differences within the numerous topics can be analyzed in a sophisticated way.
Added Value: Because of the high amount of data that was generated, it will be possible to define a taxonomy which will explain in which of the topics of the Insa-Study the results will be biased by the method of data collection.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Web surveys (3946)
- ESSnet Data: Collection for Social Surveys using Multiple Modes; 2013; Sattelberger, S., Blanke, K.
- Recent Experiences with Electronic Questionnaire Testing at Statistics Canada ; 2013; Lawrence, D.
- Improved Dialogue Features in Web Surveys?; 2013; Lund, K.
- Evaluation of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design Experiment with Physicians on Response Rates, Costs, and...; 2013; Geisen, E., Olmsted, M. G., Murphy, J., Stanley, M.
- When We Do Not Know the Difference – the Level of DK in Different Question Formats and Different...; 2013; Schwarzer, S., Zeglovits, E., Connor, D. S.
- New Versus Old Technologies: An Examination of Usability and Cognitive Issues Across Modes Among Respondents...; 2013; Nichols, E. M., Goerman, P. L., Jurgenson, N., King, T., Olmsted, M. G., Childs, J. H.
- Factors Influencing Survey Participation Rates on an Online, Probability-Based Research Panel; 2013; Wiest, D.
- Effects of Self-Awareness on Disclosure During Skype Survey Interviews; 2013; Feuer, S., Schober, M. F.
- The Effect of Differential Mailing Methodologies on Response Rates: Testing Advanced Notices, Pre-Recorded...; 2013; Pens, Y., Cantave, M. A., Gentry, R. J.
- The Influence of Respondent Incentives on Item Nonresponse and Measurement Error in a Web Survey; 2013; Felderer, B., Kreuter, F., Winter, J.
- A Multi-Survey, Multi-Methodological Assessment of Perception of Need and Quality of Life: Opinion Polling...; 2013; Levy, D.,
- Eliminate Item Non-Response: The Effect of Forcing Respondents to Answer in Web Surveys; 2013; Leach, L. M.
- The Influence of Answer Box Format, Personal Topic Interest, and Respondent Characteristics on Response...; 2013; Keusch, F.
- Using Motivating Prompts to Increase Responses to Open-ended Questions in Mixed-mode Surveys: Where...; 2013; Israel, G. D.
- How Open Are We to the Open-Ended Questions?; 2013; Mamedova, S.
- Will Snowball Sampling Leave Your Data in the Cold?; 2013; Cavallaro, K.
- Panel Attrition: Separating Stayers, Sleepers and Other Types of Drop-Out in an Internet Panel; 2013; Lugtig, P. J.
- Building a History: Collecting Comprehensive Employment Data in a Web-Based, Multi-Mode Survey; 2013; Cominole, M., Bennett, C., Caves, L.
- Augmenting Paper Diaries With Phone and Web Data Retrieval: Is it Effective?; 2013; Wargelin, L., Minser, J., Homer, Z., Fleeman, A., ZuWallack, R. S.
- Alone in a Group: Comparison of Effects of a Group-Administered Paper-Pencil Survey Versus an Individually...; 2013; Higgins, W. B., Barlas, F. M., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on Socially Undesirable Responses to Open Ended Questions: Online vs. Paper...; 2013; Hedberg, E., Ceasar, G., Wallace, D.
- Mode Effects in a National Establishment Survey; 2013; Daley, K., Phillips, B. T.
- Mobile Browser Web Surveys: Testing Response Rates, Data Quality and Best Practices; 2013; McGeeney, K., Marlar, J.
- Comparing Tablet, Computer, and Smartphone Survey Administrations; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- Mode Choice on an iPhone Increases Survey Data Quality; 2013; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F., Zhang, C., Yan, H. G., Vickers, L., Johnston, M., Hupp, A., Hemingway...
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: Findings From Seven Access Panel Studies; 2013; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Funke, F.
- Speeding and Non-Differentiation in Web Surveys: Evidence of Correlation and Strategies for Reduction...; 2013; Zhang, C.
- Use of Drag-and-Drop Rating Scales in Web Surveys and Its Effect on Survey Reports and Data Quality; 2013; Kunz, T.
- Effects of Respondent Reluctance, Mode, and Technical Difficulties on Straight- Lining and Refusals...; 2013; Gibson, J. L., Mendelson, J.
- The Relations Among Different Cognitive Shortcuts in Surveys; 2013; Tourangeau, R., Medway, R., Presser, S.
- Suppressing Survey Response: Further Evidence to Not Use Web Instruction Cards; 2013; Puniello, O. T., Weiner, M., Noland, R. B.
- Differential Incentives in a Dual Mode Survey of Health Care Providers; 2013; Roff, B., Barrett, K.
- Demonstration of an Integrated Respondent Management and Data Collection Tool for Mixed-Mode (Phone/...; 2013; Luxenberg, H., Rainey, J.
- Effects of Displaying Videos on Measurement in a Web Survey; 2013; Mendelson, J., Gibson, J. L., Romano Bergstrom, J. C.
- The Effect of Attempting to Recruit Respondents to a Web-Based Diary on Overall Response Rate; 2013; Cantave, M. A. Gentry, R. J.
- Comparisons of Online Recruitment Strategies: Craigslist, Facebook, Google Ads and Amazon’s Mechanical...; 2013; Antoun, C., Zhang, C., Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.
- Watch Your Language!: The Impact of the Survey Language on Bilingual Hispanics’ Response Process...; 2013; Ay, M., Gross, W., Cobb, C. L., Thomas, R. K.
- Estimation of Expected Academic Engagement Behaviors: The Use of Vague Quantifiers Versus Tallied Responses...; 2013; Cole, J.
- Self-Reported Participation in Research Practices Among Survey Methodology Researchers; 2013; Perez-Vergara, K., Smith, C., Lowenstein, C., Ozonoff, A., Martins, Y.
- Changing of the Guard: Effects of Different Self-Administered Survey Modes on Sensitive Questions; 2013; Barlas, F. M., Higgins, W. B., Pflieger, J., Thomas, R. K., Jeffery, D., Mattiko, M.
- Estimating Measurement Effects of Survey Modes From Between and Within Subject Designs; 2013; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- Web Versus Outbound: A Mode Face-Off Following the Presidential Debate; 2013; Marlar, J.
- Examining Response Time Outliers Though Paradata in Online Panel Surveys; 2013; Lee, J., Al Baghal, T.
- Innovative Retention Methods in Panel Research: Can SmartPhones Improve Long-Term Panel Participation...; 2013; Dayton, J. J., Dyer, A.
- Predicting Survey Breakoff in Internet Survey Panels; 2013; Al Baghal, T., McCutcheon, A. L., Tsabutashvili, D.
- Using GIS to Target Address-Based Samples of Households for a Web (vs. Mail) Response: Evidence from...; 2013; Messer, B. L.
- Is Pushing the General Public to the Web in Address-Based Samples Cost Effective?; 2013; Lesser, V. M.
- Effects of Survey Sponsorship on Internet and Mail Response: Using Address- Based Sampling; 2013; Edwards, M. L.
- Grid Formats, Data Quality, and Mobile Device Use: A Questionnaire Design Approach; 2013; McClain, C., Crawford, S. D.
- Can Embedded Help Text Links in Web Survey Items Improve Data Quality?; 2013; Janson, N., Bennett, C., Caves, L., Cominole, M., Shepherd, B., Wine, J.