Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: Contemporary empirical research is increasingly supported with information-communication technologies. Despite playing an extremely important role, online software tools receive only little attention in literature; rare examples include Macer (2002), Crafword (2002, 2006), Vehovar et. al. (2005), Berzelak (2006), Kazcmirek (2006, 2008) and Zuckerberg (2006).
Methods & Data: We used the public WebSM database of 400 online survey tools, where key characteristics were observed for each tool: pricing, code availability, languages, countries, support, website characteristics, promotion etc. The analysis enables studying trends in historical context within CASIC developments. Next, software tools were tested and evaluated according to 50 differentiating features related to questionnaire design, appearance, routing, sample management, multi-mode support, data security, paradata, data export, and reporting. A clustering of existing software was performed based on these characteristics. In addition, as results confirm various customer studies showing that lack of integration (e.g. support to early stages of questionnaire development) is the key deficiency of contemporary web software tools, an experiment was conducted. One group developed a questionnaire the usual way (drafts in a word processor, exchanged via e-mail and only the finalized version converted to the online tool), while the other group developed the same questionnaire using a prototype software which supports full integration from the earliest stage.
Results: Web software tools can be classified into three large groups. However, all three suffer from a relatively weak support for post-survey activities (editing, coding, weighting, analysis), in particular the lack of an integrated support for questionnaire development (on-line collaboration, drafting, archiving, commenting, versioning, editing). Namely, all software assumes a pre-existing questionnaire version, which was already extensively pre-communicated in some external software (e.g. e-mail). The results of the experiment reconfirm the problem: the users clearly prefer the integrated online tool.
Added Value: This is the first comprehensive study of all available web survey software on the market ever. Besides the insight into the status and trends, the results demonstrate key deficiencies of current web software (i.e. lack of integration), while the experiment performed in the study suggests a possible solution.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Technology (933)
- The Digital Divide: The internet and social inequality in international perspective; 2013; Ragnedda, M., Muschert, G.
- Survey quality prediction system 2.0; 2013
- PDAs in socio-economic surveys: instrument bias, surveyor bias or both?; 2013; Escobal, J., Benites, S.
- Virtual research assistants: Replacing human interviewers by automated avatars in virtual worlds; 2013; Hasler, B. S., Tuchman, P., Friedman, D.
- Designing and conducting business surveys; 2013; Snijkers, G.,Araldsen, G., , Willimack, D. K.Jones, J.
- Computer science security research and human subjects: Emerging considerations for research ethics boards...; 2013; Buchanan, E. A., Aycock, J., Dexter, S., Dittrich, D., Hvizdak, E. E.
- HTML5 and mobile Web surveys: A Web experiment on new input types; 2013; Funke, F.
- Understanding and Applying Research Design; 2013; Abbott, M. L., McKinney, J.
- Online Survey Software; 2013; Baker, J. D.
- Survey of Cloud Computing; 2013; Furht, B.
- Worldwide online research spending; 2012
- What we can learn from unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- Using multivariate statistics, 6th Edition; 2012; Tabachnick, B. G., Fidell, L. S.
- Unintentional mobile respondents; 2012; Peterson, G.
- Tracking preference expression (DNT); 2012
- The smartphone psychology manifesto; 2012; Miller, G.
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- The cross platform report. Q2 -2012 - US; 2012
- Smartphone ownership update: September 2012; 2012; Rainie, L.
- Sensitive topics in PC Web and mobile web surveys: Is there a difference?; 2012; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Selection bias of internet panel surveys: A comparison with a paper-based survey and national governmental...; 2012; Tsuboi, S. et al.
- Screenwise panel: Frequently Asked Questions; 2012
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Redeveloping the research section of Meningitis UK's website — A case study report; 2012; Witt, J. et al.
- Participation of mobile users in traditional online studies; 2012; Jue, A.
- Online survey statistics for the mobile future. Updated with Q3 2012 data; 2012
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 3; 2012
- Ofcom technology tracker Wave 2; 2012
- NBCU enlists Google, ComScore to track multiscreen Olympics viewing; 2012; Spangler, T.
- MRS Guidelines for online reseach; 2012
- Mobile usability; 2012; Nielsen, J., Budiu, R.
- Mobile email opens report 2nd half 2011; 2012
- Metering mobile usage. Insights from global Arbitron mobile trends panel; 2012; Verkasalo, H.
- Media tracker; 2012
- Measuring modern media consumption; 2012; Arini, N.
- ISO 20252. Market, opinion and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements, 2nd Edition; 2012
- Internet use in households and by individual in 2012. Eurostat Statistics in Focus 50/2012; 2012; Seybert, H.
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012 part 2; 2012
- Internet access - Households and individuals, 2012; 2012
- Google et Médiamétrie créent une audience bimédia; 2012; Gonzales, P.
- GMI Pinnacle; 2012
- Flowing with the mainstream. Is mobile market research finally living up to the hype?; 2012; Townsend, L.
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: Special Eurobarometer 381; 2012
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Digital Divides: A connectivity continuum for the United States. Data from the 2011 Current Population...; 2012; File, T.
- Developments and the impact of smart technology; 2012; Macer, T.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- Adult gadget ownership over time (2006-2012); 2012
- 28 Questions to Help Buyers of Online Samples; 2012