Web Survey Bibliography
Relevance & Research Question: Contemporary empirical research is increasingly supported with information-communication technologies. Despite playing an extremely important role, online software tools receive only little attention in literature; rare examples include Macer (2002), Crafword (2002, 2006), Vehovar et. al. (2005), Berzelak (2006), Kazcmirek (2006, 2008) and Zuckerberg (2006).
Methods & Data: We used the public WebSM database of 400 online survey tools, where key characteristics were observed for each tool: pricing, code availability, languages, countries, support, website characteristics, promotion etc. The analysis enables studying trends in historical context within CASIC developments. Next, software tools were tested and evaluated according to 50 differentiating features related to questionnaire design, appearance, routing, sample management, multi-mode support, data security, paradata, data export, and reporting. A clustering of existing software was performed based on these characteristics. In addition, as results confirm various customer studies showing that lack of integration (e.g. support to early stages of questionnaire development) is the key deficiency of contemporary web software tools, an experiment was conducted. One group developed a questionnaire the usual way (drafts in a word processor, exchanged via e-mail and only the finalized version converted to the online tool), while the other group developed the same questionnaire using a prototype software which supports full integration from the earliest stage.
Results: Web software tools can be classified into three large groups. However, all three suffer from a relatively weak support for post-survey activities (editing, coding, weighting, analysis), in particular the lack of an integrated support for questionnaire development (on-line collaboration, drafting, archiving, commenting, versioning, editing). Namely, all software assumes a pre-existing questionnaire version, which was already extensively pre-communicated in some external software (e.g. e-mail). The results of the experiment reconfirm the problem: the users clearly prefer the integrated online tool.
Added Value: This is the first comprehensive study of all available web survey software on the market ever. Besides the insight into the status and trends, the results demonstrate key deficiencies of current web software (i.e. lack of integration), while the experiment performed in the study suggests a possible solution.
Conference Homepage (abstract) / (presentation)
Web Survey Bibliography - Slovenia (109)
- Exploring patterns of academic usage: A Google Scholar based study of ESS, EVS, WVS and ISSP academic...; 2013; Malnar, B.
- Data quality of questions sensitive to social-desirability bias in web surveys; 2012; Lozar Manfreda, K., Zajc, N., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Costs and Errors in Fixed and Mobile Phone Surveys; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N.
- Impact of Fixed Choice Design on Blockmodeling Outcomes; 2012; Znidarsic, A.
- Web Survey Software; 2012; Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- Surveying general population: What types of experiments are further needed?; 2012; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N.
- Research design for studying online communities with web surveys; 2012; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effect of different stimulus on data quality in online panels; 2012; Zagar, S., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Web panels in Slovenia; 2012; Lenar, J., Vehovar, V.
- Adaptation of Cognitive Interviews for Web; 2012; Mohorko, A., Hlebec, V.
- Advanced Paradata in Web Surveys: What Can They Tell about the Response Process?; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Information-Communication Technology Support for Online Surveys: A Need for Integration; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Global market of web survey software: Status, trends and issues; 2012; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Paradata insight into survey response behaviour: An analysis of a set of hosted web surveys; 2012; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Current Projects at University of Ljubljana; 2011; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Web survey software; 2011; Slavec, A., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Web Survey Process within the Concept of eSocial Sciences; 2011; Vehovar, V.
- The Impact of Non-Response Treatments on the Stability of Blockmodels; 2011; Znidarsic, A., Ferligoj, A., Doreian, P.
- The influence of Social Support and Personal Networks on Doctoral Student Performance; 2011; Hlebec, V., Kogovsek, T., Ferligoj, A.
- From Busy Bees to Science Geeks and Party Animals: A Typology of Slovenian Doctoral Students; 2011; Hlebec, V., Kogovsek, T., Ferligoj, A.
- PhD Students’ Research Group Social Capital in Two Countries: A Clustering Approach with Duocentred...; 2011; Coenders, G., Coromina, L., Ferligoj, A., Guia, J.
- The Structural Changes of Social Support Networks in a Decade of the Internet Uptake in Slovenia; 2011; Vehovar, V., Petric, G., Petrovčič, A.
- How to ask about fixed/mobile telephone usage? Impact of question wording and analysis of corresponding...; 2011; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.
- Optimization of dual frame telephone survey designs; 2011; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.
- Costs Error Optimization for Cell-Landline Dual Frame Surveys.; 2011; Slavec, A.; Vehovar, V.
- Nonresponse in Web Surveys ; 2011; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- Sources of measurement errors in business surveys; 2010; Bavdaz, M.
- Archiving and Re-using Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Data in Slovenia; 2010; Stebe, J., Hudales, J., Kragelj, B.
- Mobile Phones in an Environment of Competing Survey Modes: Applying Metric for Evaluation of Costs and...; 2010; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K., Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V.
- National readership surveys: Moving from probability face-to-face surveys to Internet panels; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A., Petric, I., Sargac, M.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Optimising survey costs in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K., Belak, E.
- Effectiveness of incentives in web surveys within mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs...; 2009; Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Effectiveness of incentives in mixed-mode systems: An evaluation of errors & costs; 2009; Vehovar, V.; Lozar Manfreda, K.; Berzelak, N.
- "Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment: Balancing costs and errors"; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Towards a flexible online mixed method design with a feedback loop; 2009; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.
- What Can We Achieve With 5 Euros? Optimization of Survey Data Quality Using Mixed-Mode Approaches; 2008; Berzelak, N., Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Measuring ties on online forums; 2008; Ziberna, A., Vehovar, V., Jakulin, A.
- Integration of the web into survey data collection: Balancing costs and errors; 2008; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Measuring ego-centered social networks on the web: Questionnaire design issues ; 2008; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Hlebec, V.
- Web Surveys versus Other Survey Modes – A Meta-Analysis Comparing Response Rates; 2008; Lozar Manfreda, K., Bosnjak, M., Berzelak, J., Haas, I., Vehovar, V.
- Fitting disposition codes to mobile phone surveys: experiences from studies in Finland, Slovenia and...; 2007; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Vehovar, V., Kuusela, V., Piekarski, L., Steeh, C. G.
- Peeping Over Computers The Slovenian Internet Audience Measurement Mix Model ; 2007; Cucin, P., Kropivnik, S., Hocevar, J.
- Social Aspects of Mobile Phone Usage and Their Impact on Survey Cooperation; 2007; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Web Survey Methodology (WebSM) Portal; 2006; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Reliability and Validity of Measuring Social Support Networks by Web and Telephone; 2006; Kogovsek, T.
- Flexibility of FOMM (Flexible Online Mixed Methods Design with a Feed-back Loop); 2006; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.