Web Survey Bibliography
BACKGROUND: Mixing survey administration modes has generated concern about the comparability of responses between modes.
OBJECTIVE: To explore the differences in respondent profiles, and responses between Internet and telephone questionnaires in a survey on respiratory diseases.
METHODS: The data were generated from a mixed Internet and telephone survey of respiratory diseases among children in Montreal (Quebec), in 2006. Comparison of 12 selected questions was performed after standardization for respondent education and income. Stratification of analysis on education and income categories was also performed for the questions with significantly divergent responses.
RESULTS: Six questions showed significant differences in responses between modes after standardization. The largest differences among the closed-ended questions were observed for highly prevalent symptoms, dry cough during the night (difference of 9% for positive answer [P<0.01]) and symptoms of allergic rhinitis (difference of 7% for positive answer [P<0.01]). A large discrepancy was also found in the multiple choice question and with an open-ended response (ie, free answer). For the three potentially sensitive questions, a desirability bias was probably present in one question on smoking habits (difference of 2.6 % for positive answer [P<0.05]).
CONCLUSION: The differences observed between Internet and telephone responses to selected questions were not completely explained by socioeconomic disparities among the respondents. In a mixed-mode survey (Internet and telephone), caution should be used when formulating sensitive, complex, open-ended and long-ended questions, and those related to highly prevalent and nonspecific symptoms.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Canada (110)
- A nationwide web-based freight data collection; 2013; Samimi, A., Mohammadian, A., Kawamura, K.
- Use of a Social Networking Web Site for Recruiting Canadian Youth for Medical Research; 2013; Chu, J. L., Snider, C. E.
- Survey Quality; 2012; Lyberg, L. E.
- Adaptive web sampling in ecology; 2012; Thompson, S. K.
- Respondent-driven sampling; 2012; Schonlau, M., Liebau, E.
- Reaching Under/Never Screened Populations Using an Online Survey; 2012; Filsinger, B., Gesink, D., Mihic, A., Kreiger, N.
- Evidence on the Comparison of Telephone and Internet Surveys for Respondent Recruitment.; 2012; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S., Robinson, N.
- Firefly Online Surveys: A fully featured tool for Web surveys and forums; 2012; Deal, K.
- Transferring Telephone-Based National Household Travel Survey to the Internet ; 2012; Son, S., Khattak, A., Wang, X., Chen, J.-Y.
- Where is Neutral? Using Negativity Biases to Interpret Thermometer Scores; 2012; Soroka, S., Albaugh, Q.
- Comparability of Internet and telephone data in a survey on the respiratory health of children; 2012; Plante, C. Jacques, L., Chevalier, S., Fournier, M.
- Online and Paper-Based: A Mixed-Method Approach to Conducting a Needs Assessment Survey of Physicians...; 2012; Olatunbosun, T., Wu, C., Grewal, G., Lynn, B.
- Thinking, Planning & Operationalizing Empirical Mixed Methods Research Design; 2012; Ruhi, U.
- Designing and Doing Survey Research; 2012; Andres, L.
- Validity and reproducibility of a web-based, self-administered food frequency questionnaire; 2012; Labonte, M. - E., Cyr, A., Baril-Gravel, L., Royer, M. - M., Lamarche, B.
- Validation of an Informant-Reported Web-Based Data Collection to Assess Dementia Symptoms; 2012; Rockwood, K., Zeng, A., Leibman, C., Mucha, L., Mitnitski, A.
- Assessing the Effects of Technical Variance on the Statistical Outcomes of Web Experiments Measuring...; 2012; Brand, A., Bradley, M. T.
- The cost-effectiveness of cash versus lottery incentives for a web-based, stated-preference community...; 2012; Gajic, A., Cameron, D., Hurley, J.
- What is Probit; 2011
- Survey Data Quality Provisions in Statistics Canada E-Questionnaire Solution: Retrospective and Perspectives...; 2011; Abiza, Y.
- Developing Electronic Questionnaire Guidelines: Issues and Challenges in a Changing Environment; 2011; Cote, A.-M., Kelly, P., Lawrence, D.
- Canadian online panels: Similar or different?; 2011; Chan, P., Ambrose, D.
- How far is too far: Traditional, flash and gamification interfaces, and implications for the future...; 2011; Puleston, J., Malinoff, B.
- The Evolution of Edits in the Canadian Census of Population Online Questionnaires; 2011; Laroche, D.
- Innovations in survey sampling design: Discussion of three contributions presented at the U.S. Census...; 2011; Opsomer, J.
- Alternative survey sample designs: Sampling with multiple overlapping frames; 2011; Lohr, S. L.
- Adaptive network and spatial sampling; 2011; Thompson, S. K.
- Apples and oranges: does a web survey produce similar results to social media tracking?; 2011; Bourque, C., Hobbs, R., Hilaire, D. S.
- Preferences, intentions, and expectation violations: A large-scale experiment with a representative...; 2011; Bellemare. C., Kroeger, S., van Soest, A.
- Method of administration affects adolescent post-immunization survey response rate: phone, paper, internet...; 2011; Pielak, K. L.; Buxton, J.; McIntyrea, C.; Tu, A,; Botnick, M. R.
- e-Collection at Statistics Canada; 2011; Faid, M.
- Nonsampling errors in dual frame telephone surveys ; 2011; Brick, J. M., Flores Cervantes, I., Lee, S., Norman, G.
- Studying Political Behavior: A Comparison of Internet and Telephone Surveys; 2011; Stephenson, L. B., Crête, J.
- The feasibility of Web-based surveys as a data collection tool: a process evaluation ; 2011; Chizawsky L. L. K., Estabrooks, C. A., Sales, A. E.
- Accounting for the effects of data collection modes in population surveys; 2010; Huang, Y. C., Thompson, M. E., Boudreau, C., Fong, G. T.
- From Buzz to Biz: Social Media Research for Results; 2010; Pettit, F. A.
- The Rise of Survey Programming Automation as an Alternative to Outsourcing; 2010; Ahmed, A. S., Guyer, L.
- Sexy Questions, Dangerous Results? - Exploring the Impact of Rich Media Question Formats in Online Survey...; 2010; Malinoff, B.
- Statistics Canada's Process Automation of On-line Survey Development and CATI Data Integration; 2010; Dubois, M.-A.
- System and method of providing an online survey and summarizing survey response data; 2010; Ryan, C. J.
- Statistical foundations of cell-phone surveys; 2010; Wolter, K., Smith, P., Blumberg, S. J.
- The effect of cash lottery on response rates to an online health survey among members of the Canadian...; 2010; Doerfling, P., Kopec, J., Liang, M. H., Esdaile, J. M.
- Reliability and Validity of an Internet-based Questionnaire Measuring Lifetime Physical Activity; 2010; De Vera, M. A., Ratzlaff, C., Doerfling, P., Kopec, J.
- Can we make official statistics with self-selection web surveys?; 2009; Bethlehem, J.
- Designing and Implementing a Career Retrospective Web-based Survey of Library and Information Science...; 2009; Morgan, J. C., Marshall, J. G., Marshall, V., Thompson, C.
- In Search of Readers: A Brave New World For Researches; 2009; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Williams, D.
- Best practices in mobile research; 2009; Zahariev, M., Ferneyhough, C., Ryan, C.
- Internet-based surveys and urban design education: A community outreach graduate project in Redding,...; 2009; del Rio, V., Levi, D.
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.
- Recruiting Probability-Based Web Panel Members Using an Address-Based Sample Frame: Results from a Pilot...; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M., Hendarwan, E.