Web Survey Bibliography
This essay aims to discuss the key benefits and problems involved in using online surveys (e-surveys) for the purpose of accessing the views of football fans that interact with one another via online discussion forums/message boards. Methodological strategies that were adopted and critical issues that arose regarding the dissemination of an e-survey within a specific online community for football fans are reflected upon. Suggestions for researchers adopting similar methodologies to access the views of football fans are provided, and it is argued that an ethnographic approach needs to be adopted by researchers who aim to maximize the quality and quantity of e-survey responses. In particular, the importance of planning the researchers' entrée into the community under study – involving the establishment and maintenance of rapport with key gatekeepers – is considered essential for the success of future studies.
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Leisure (29)
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Using e-surveys to access the views of football fans within online communities; 2012; Gibbons, T., Nuttall, D.
- Exploring New Pathways to Survey Recruitment; 2012; Bilgram, V., Stadler, D.Jawecki, G.
- Recreation Participation and Conservation Attitudes: Differences Between Mail and Online Respondents...; 2011; Graefe, A., Mowen, A. J., Covelli, E.
- Cross-country Comparisons: Effects of Scale Type and Response Style Differences; 2011; Thomas, R. K.
- Separation of selection bias and mode effect in mixed-mode survey – Application to the face-to...; 2011; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- Movie Mobile Polls: Does Survey Mode Make a Difference?; 2010; Williams, D.
- 3 screen measurement: Soccer World Cup 2010; 2010; Conry, S., Benezra, K., Singh, S.
- E-mail Experiments in Web Surveys; 2010; Hupp, A., Murray-Close, M.
- Communicating Disclosure Risk in Informed Consent Statements; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Effects of Personalization, Length and Choice of Mode on Cooperation Rates for Mixed Mode Recontact...; 2010; Steiger, D. M., Chattopadhyay, M., Royal, D.
- Does Providing a Choice of Survey Modes Influence Response?; 2010; Lesser, V. M., Newton, L., Yang, D.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Differential Effects of Web-Based and Paper-Based Administration of Questionnaire Research Instruments...; 2010; Hardré, P. L., Crowson, H. M., Xie, K.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2010; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- Regular events in travel behaviour research: setup of a longitudinal websurvey; 2006; Cools, M., Moons, E., Wets, G.
- Comparing Mail and Web-Based Survey Distribution Methods: Results of Surveys to Leisure Travel Retailers...; 2005; Cole, S. T.
- An Internet Study of Cybersex Participants; 2005; Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Mansson, S.-A.
- Modeling Participation in an Online Travel Community; 2004; Wang, Y., Fesenmaier, D. R.
- Coverage Error Embedded in Self-Selected Internet-Based Samples: A Case Study of Northern Indiana; 2004; Hwang, Y.-H., Fesenmaier, D. R.
- Open-ended vs. Close-ended Questions in Web Questionnaires; 2003; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- A comparison of online and postal data collection methods in marketing research; 2003; Adam, S., McDonald, H.
- Use of Internet-based household travel diary survey instrument; 2002; Adler, T., Rimmer, L., Carpenter, D.
- Usability Testing of Web Data Collection Instruments; 2002; Thalji, L., Antunes, M. J., Wiebe, E. F.
- Using the Internet for travel and tourism survey research: Experiences from the net traveler survey; 1996; Schonland, A., Williams, P.