Web Survey Bibliography
Up until now, most surveys have used face-to-face interviews, postal mail, or the telephone to collect data. However, today the difficulties of carrying out surveys at reasonable costs have increased. Simultaneously, new opportunities have appeared. In particular, web surveys, which are usually cheaper, offer more flexibility, and can reach a large population in a short time, are becoming very attractive.
Nevertheless, different modes of data collection may lead to different coverage, sampling, nonresponse, and measurement errors. We focus on the last since different modes have different properties, just because the question is asked in a different mode, a difference in responses may appear. For instance, Krosnick (1991) shows that varying levels of social desirability and satisficing biases exist depending on the mode of data collection used. This can be related to the presence of an interviewer in some modes but not in others. As a result, in order to compare data collected with different modes (across time, across countries, across groups), we first need to study the impact of modes on several parameters.
Much research already was directed to the comparison of modes (Faas & Schoen, 2006; Fricker, Galesic, Tourangeau, & Yan, 2005; Heerwegh, 2009; Kaplowitz, Hadlock, & Levine, 2004; Lozar …
Journal Homepage (abstract) / (full text)
Web Survey Bibliography - Survey methodology (2746)
- Field Lessons From the Delivery of Questionnaires to Young Adults Using Mobile Phones; 2013; van Heerden, A. C., Norris, S. A., Tollman, S. M., Stein, A. D., Richter, L. M.
- Comparison of Smartphone and Online Computer Survey Administration; 2013; Wells, T., Bailey, J., Link, M. W.
- Panel Conditioning in Difficult Attitudinal Questions; 2013; Binswanger, J., Schunk, D., Toepoel, V.
- Web Coverage in the UK and its Potential Impact on General Population Web Surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Optimizing quality of response through adaptive survey designs; 2013; Schouten, B., Calinescu, M., Luiten, A.
- On the Impact of Response Patterns on Survey Estimates from Access Panels; 2013; Enderle, T., Muennich, R., Bruch, C.
- A Comparison of Data Quality Across Modes in a Mixed-Mode Collection of Administrative Records; 2013; Worthy, M., Mayclin, D.
- Reconceptualizing Survey Representativeness for Evaluating and Using Nonprobability Samples; 2013; Fan, D. P.
- To Click, Type, or Drag? Evaluating Speed of Survey Data Input Methods; 2013; Husser, J. A., Husser, J. A.
- Unit Nonresponse and Weighting Adjustments: A Critical Review; 2013; Brick, J. M.
- Web psychosocial surveys in cancer survivorship - a methodological note; 2013; Santin, O., Mills, M., Treanor, C., Mc Donald, G., Donnelly, M.
- Internet visual media processing: a survey with graphics and vision applications; 2013; Hu, S.-M., Chen, T., Xu, K., Cheng, M.-M., Martin, R. R.
- Measuring the impact of the Web: Rasch modelling for survey evaluation; 2013; Annoni, P., Weziak-Bialowolska, D., Farhan, H.
- Using Tablet Computers For “Intentional” Mobile Research; 2013; Seal, J.
- Encouraging Record Use For Financial Asset Questions In A Web Survey; 2013; Couper, M. P., Ofstedal, M. B., Lee, S.
- Experiments with methods to reduce attrition in longitudinal surveys; 2013; Fumagalli, L., Laurie, H., Lynn, P.
- Can Online Surveys Substitute Traditional Modes? An Error-Based Comparison of Online and On-Site Tourism...; 2013; Kim, N., Yu, X., Schwartz, Z.
- How incentives affect web-based survey response rates of athletic program donors; 2013; Alvarado, G., Callison, C.
- Investigating the Relationship among Prepaid Token Incentives, Response Rates, and Nonresponse Bias...; 2013; Parsons, N. L., Manierre, M. J.
- The Effect of Survey Mode on High School Risk Behavior Data: a Comparison between Web and Paper-based...; 2013; Raghupathy, S., Hahn-Smith, S.
- Web-Based Versus Traditional Paper Questionnaires: A Mixed-Mode Survey With a Nordic Perspective; 2013; Hohwue, L., Lyshol, H., Gissler, M., Hrafn Jonsson, S., Petzold, M., Obel, C.
- Going online with a face-to-face household panel: initial results from an experiment on the Understanding...; 2013; Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P., Burton, J.
- Targeted response inducement strategies on longitudinal surveys; 2013; Lynn, P.
- “Translating” between survey answer formats; 2013; Dolnicar, S., Grün, B.
- The Gamification of Marketing Researc; 2013; Donato, P., Link, M. W.
- Gamification Master Class; 2013; Puleston, J.
- Research Communities in Asia Pacific: A review of similarities and contrasts; 2013; Poynter, R.
- Measuring Up: Impact of mobile and segmentation on respondent behaviour; 2013; Luck, K.
- Best of Both Worlds? Can we make convenience samples representative?; 2013; Doe, P.
- Multimode, Global Scale Usage: Understanding respondent scale usage across borders and devices; 2013; Pettit, F. A., Courtright, M.
- Advanced Research Methods Training in the UK: Current Provision and Future Strategies; 2013; Moley, S., Wiles, R., Sturgis, P.
- Doing real time research: Opportunities and challenges; 2013; Back, L., Lury, C., Zimmer, R.
- ‘Digital Methods as Mainstream Methodology’: Building capacity in the research community...; 2013; Roberts, S., Hine, C., Morey, Y., Snee, H., Watson, H.
- New social media, new social science?; 2013; Woodfield, K., Morrell, G.
- Digital technology and data collection; 2013; Henriksen, B., Jewitt, C., Price, S., Sakr, M.
- Developing a New Mixed-Mode Methodology For a Provincial Park Camper Survey in British Columbia; 2013; Dyck, B. W.
- Mode effect analysis and adjustment in a split-sample mixed-mode Web/CATI survey; 2013; Kolenikov, S., Kennedy, C.
- Exploring factors associated with respondent mode choice for surveys using mobile devices.; 2013; Walton, L.
- Responsive design for mixed-mode panel data; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Adjusting for bias in a mixed-mode CAWI survey on University students ; 2013; Clerici, R., Giraldo, A.
- Comparative analysis of data from web and face-to-face surveys. A case study on e-commerce in young...; 2013; Cappello, C., Pellegrino, D.
- Insights into Action Profiling shopping occasions for retailers through mobile and online research; 2013; Churkina, O., Morris, T.
- Mobilizing your Branded Panel: Panel data quality during the smartphone transition; 2013; Kugel, C., Brien, D., Blechman, J.
- Evaluating the left‐right dimension: Category Selection Probing conducted in an online access...; 2013; Huefken , V.
- From Face‐to‐face to Web: Consequences for Measurement of Complex and Open‐ended Questions...; 2013; Villar, A., Fitzgerald, R., Martin, P., Harrison, E., Gatrrell, L.
- Computers, Tablet & Smart Phones: The Truth about Web‐based Surveys; 2013; Merle, P., Gearhart, S., Craig, C., Rahimi, M., Brooks, M. E., Vandyke, M.
- Explaining Interview Duration in Web Surveys on Political Attitudes and Behavior: A Multilevel Approach...; 2013; Gummer, T., Rossmann, J.
- An Examination of the Relationship Between Pretest Method Results and Data Quality; 2013; Maitland, A.
- Associations Between Interactional Indicators of Problematic Questions and Systems for Coding Question...; 2013; Dykema, J., Schaeffer, N. C., Garbarski, D.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: implications for nonresponse; 2013; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M.