Web Survey Bibliography
Title Online consumer surveys as a methodology for assessing the quality of the United States health care system
Source Journal of Medical Internet Research, 6, 1
Access date 21.12.2004
Full text doc (265k)
Abstract Background: Interest in monitoring the quality of health care in the United States has increased in recent years. However, the policy objectives associated with collecting this information are constrained by the limited availability of timely and relevant data at a reasonable cost. Online data-collection technologies hold the promise of gathering data directly and inexpensively from large, representative samples of patients and consumers. These new information technologies also permit efficient, real-time assessment in such areas as health status, access to care, and other aspects of the care experience that impact health outcomes. Objective: This study investigates the feasibility, validity, and generalizability of consumer online surveys to measure key aspects of health care quality in the United States. Methods: Surveys about the health and health care experiences of a general adult population and of adults with diabetes were administered online and by telephone. The online survey drew from a sample frame of nearly 1 million consumers and used a single e-mail notification. The random-digit-dial methodology included 6 follow-up calls. Results from the online sample were compared to the telephone sample and to national benchmark data. Results: Survey responses about quality of care collected using online and telephone methods were commensurate once they were weighted to represent the demographic distribution of the 2000 United States Census. Expected variations in health and health care quality across demographic and socioeconomic groups were largely observed, as were hypothesized associations among quality indicators and other variables. Fewer individuals were required to be contacted to achieve target sample sizes using online versus telephone methods. Neither method yielded representative cohorts of nonwhite individuals. Conclusions: Conclusions about the level and variations in health care quality in the United States are similar using data collected in this study compared to data collected using other telephone-based survey methods. As is typical for national telephone surveys conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics, stratified sampling and weighting of survey responses is necessary for results to be generalizable. Online methods are more appropriate for understanding health care quality than for conducting epidemiologic assessments of health in the United States.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (468)
- Information Needs and Visitors' Experience of an Internet Expert Forum on Infertility; 2005; Himmel, W., Meyer, J., Kochen, M. M., Michelmann, H.-W.
- How New Subscribers Use Cancer-Related Online Mailing Lists; 2005; Rimer, B. K., Lyons, E. J., Ribisl, K. M., Bowling, J. M., Golin, C. E., Forlenza, M. J., Meier, A.
- Use of Internet Audience Measurement Data to Gauge Market Share for Online Health Information Services...; 2005; Wood, F. B., Benson, D., LaCroix, E.-M., Siegel, E. R., Fariss, S.
- There Is Hope for the Future: National Survey Results Reveal that Geriatric Medicine Fellows Are Well...; 2005; Pan, C. X., Carmody, S., Leipzig, R. M., Granieri, E., Sullivan, A., Block, S. D., Arnold, R. M.
- Evaluation of surgical margins in melanocytic lesions: a survey among 152 dermatopathologists; 2005; Sellheyer, K., Bergfeld, W. F., Stewart, E., Roberson, G., Hammel, J.
- Web-based and Mailed Questionnaires: A Comparison of Response Rates and Compliance; 2005; Baelter, K., Balter, O., Fondell, E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y.
- Using a web-based survey to assess correlates of intention towards HIV testing among never-been-tested...; 2005; Hou, S.-I., Wisenbaker, J. M.
- Smoking Cessation Research via the Internet: A Feasibility Study; 2005; Stoddard, J. L., Delucchi, K. L., Muñoz, R. F., Collins, M., Pérez-Stable, E. J., Augustson,...
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Analysis of Break-off Patterns in Web Surveys; 2005; Ahsan, S., Broach, R. J.
- Evaluation of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in Young People Using a Web-Based Survey Technique.; 2005; Chung, J. H., des Roches, C. M., Meunier, J., Eavey, R. D.
- The psychometric properties of pen-and-pencil and internet versions of the midlife women's symptom index...; 2005; Im, E. O., Chee, W., Bender, M., Cheng, C.- Y., Tsai, H.- M., Kang, N. M., Lee, H. S.
- An overview of the ethics of cyber-space research and the implication for nurse educators; 2005; Haigh, C., Jones, N. A.
- Demands on web survey tools for epidemiological research; 2005; Baelter, O., Baelter, K.
- Challenges of Internet Recruitment: A Case Study with Disappointing Results; 2005; Koo, M., Skinner, H.
- Challenges in conducting longitudinal randomized controlled trials online - The story of evaluating...; 2005; Davidovich, U.
- Adjusting for selection bias in Web surveys using propensity scores: the case of the Health and Retirement...; 2005; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P.
- Internet-administered adolescent health questionnaires compared with a paper version in a randomized...; 2005; Mangunkusumo, R. T., Moorman, P. W., van den Berg -de Ruiter, A. E., van der Lei, J., de Koning, H....
- Mode effects for collecting alcohol and tobacco data among 3rd and 4th grade students: A randomized...; 2005; McCabe, S. E., Boyd, C. J., Young, A., Crawford, S. D., Pope, D.
- An On-line Survey of Consumers with Migraine; 2004; Gibb, I. et al.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S.-W.
- An experiment in call scheduling; 2004; Cunningham, P., Martin, D., Brick, J. M.
- A household panel as a tool for cost-effective health-related population surveys: validity of the "...; 2004; Potthoff, P., Heinemann, Lothar A.J., Guther, B.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Alcohol-related problems experienced by university students in New Zealand; 2004; McGee, R., Kypri, K.
- Using the Web to trap data; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection in Women's Health Research: A Study of Perimenopausal Women with Migraines; 2004; Moloney, M. F.
- The web survey network of sudden infant death syndrome and apparent life-threatening events in the Emilia...; 2004; Parmigiani, S., Bevilacqua, G., Leali, L., Pisani, F.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison (2); 2004; Leece, P., Bhandari, M., Swiontkowski, M., Schemitsch, E., Tornetta, P., Devereaux, P. J., Guyatt, G...
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison; 2004; Ritter, P., Lorig, K., Laurent, D., Matthews, K.
- Feasibility of Collecting Diary Data From Asthma Patients Through Mobile Phones and SMS (Short Message...; 2004; Anhoej, J., Moeldrup, C.
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.
- New Age Eunuchs: Motivation and Rationale for Voluntary Castration; 2004; Wassersug, R. J., Zelenietz, S. A., Squire, G. F.
- Self-reported Premature Ejaculation and Aspects of Sexual Functioning and Satisfaction; 2004; Rowland, D., Perelman, M., Althof, S., Barada, J., McCullough, A., Bull, S., Jamieson, C., Ho, K. -F...
- What makes an error unacceptable? A factorial survey on the disclosure of medical errors; 2004; Schwappach, D. L. B., Koeck, C. M.
- Surgical Management of Obese Patients with Eating Disorders: A Survey of Current Practice; 2004; Devlin, M. J., Goldfein, J. A., Flancbaum, L., Bessler, M., Eisenstadt, R.
- Egg Consumption Patterns and Salmonella Risk in Finland; 2004; Lievonen, S., Havulinna, A. S., Maijala, R.
- Current Status of Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine Headache in Japanese Women; 2004; Igarashi, H., Sakai, F.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S. -W.
- Does Telephone Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing Improve the Accuracy of Prevalence Estimates...; 2004; Currivan, D. B., Nyman, A. L., Biener, L. F., Turner, C. F.
- A comparison of a computer-based questionnaire and personal interviews in determining oral health-related...; 2004; Chestnutt, I. G., Morgan, M. Z., Hoddell, C., Playle, R.
- Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members; 2004; Flume, P. A., Taylor, L. A., Anderson, D. L., Gray, S., Turner, D.
- Web-Based Behavioral Surveillance Among Men Who Have Sex With Men: A Comparison of Online and Offline...; 2004; Elford, J., Bolding, G., Davis, M., Sherr, L., Hart, G.
- Attempting to adjust for selection bias in Web surveys with propensity scores: the case of the Health...; 2004; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P., Winter, J.
- An Internet-based survey method for college student drinking research; 2004; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J., Cashell-Smith, M. L.
- A brief screening questionnaire for infant sleep problems: Validation and findings for an Internet sample...; 2004; Sadeh, A.
- An Internet survey of asthma treatment; 2004; Janson, C., Wjst, M.
- Information needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered health care professionals: results of...; 2004; Keith, L., Fikar, C. R.
- The Utility of Conducting Interviews in Multiple Languages on the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2004; Triplett, S., Zelon, H., Dean, L., Murphy, J., Thalji, L.
- A Comparison of Two Web-Based Surveys: Static versus Dynamic Versions of the NAMCS Questionnaire; 2004; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Galesic, M., Givens, J.