Web Survey Bibliography
Probability-based sampling is the survey researcher’s most reliable method for making population estimates when only data from a sample is being used. Non-probability samples are considered less reliable with presumed biased estimates due to their convenient, non-representative construction. In the realm of Web surveys, a representative study sample, drawn from a probability-based Web panel (such as KnowledgePanel®), after post-stratification weighting, will produce reliable, generalizable unbiased study estimates. However, there are instances when too few Web panel members are available to meet minimum sample size requirements due to the finite size of the panel. In such unique situations, a supplemental sample from a non-probability opt-in Web panel may be added to satisfy sample size targets. First, this paper will show that when both samples are profiled with questions on early adopter (EA) attitudes, non-probability opt-in samples tend to have proportionally more EA characteristics compared to probability samples. This finding is consistent over different demographic groups. Second, taking advantage of these EA differences, this paper describes a statistical technique for calibrating opt-in cases blended with probability-based cases using these EA characteristics. Successful results from different studies will be demonstrated. Additionally, in order to quantify the benefits of calibration, using, for example, data from one probability sample (n=611) and one opt-in sample (n=750), a reduction in the average mean squared error from 3.8 to 1.8 can be achieved with calibration. The average estimated bias is also reduced from 2.056 to 0.064. Other examples will be presented. Knowledge Networks believes that this calibration approach is a viable methodology for combining probability and non-probability Web panel samples. It is also a relatively efficient procedure that serves projects with rapid data turnaround
Conference Homepage (abstract)
Web Survey Bibliography - Dennis, J. M. (45)
- How Far Have We Come? The Lingering Digital Divide and Its Impact on the Representativeness of Internet...; 2013; Dennis, J. M., Cobb, C. L.
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- Using Probability-based On-line Samples to Calibrate Non-probability Opt-in Samples; 2012; DiSogra, C., Cobb, C. L., Chan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Experimenting with Noncontingent and Contingent Incentives in a Media Measurement Panel; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E.
- Investigating Nonresponse Bias in a Nonresponse Bias Study; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Charlebois, O.
- Calibrating Non-Probability Internet Samples with Probability Samples Using Early Adopter Characteristics...; 2011; DiSogra, C., Cobb, C. L., Chan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Examination of Panel Conditioning Effects in a Web-Based 2007-2008 Election Study.; 2011; Dennis, J. M., Kruse, Y., Tompson, T.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- KnowledgePanel®: Processes & Procedures Contributing to Sample Representativeness & Tests for Self...; 2010; Dennis, J. M.
- Does Providing Internet Access to Non-Internet Households Affect Reported Media Behavior for Latinos...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., DiSogra, C.
- Using KnowledgePanel® to Improve the Sample Representativeness and Accuracy of Opt-in Panel Data...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Graham, P.
- Analysis of Late Responders to Probability-Based Web Panel Recruitment and Panel Surveys; 2010; Kruse, Y., DiSogra, C., Hendarwan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election: New Opportunities for Causal Analysis of Dynamic Change in the...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Producing Straightlining and Item Non-Differentiation in a Web Survey: How Visual Design Plays a Role...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Patterns of response and non-response on an election day survey; 2009; Tompson, T., Dennis, J. M., Subias, S.
- The impact of news reports of survey findings on respondents in a longitudinal panel study; 2009; Tompson, T., Dennis, J. M., Kruse, Y.
- Panel Conditioning and Attrition in the AP-Yahoo! News Election Panel Study; 2009; Kruse, Y., Callegaro, M., Dennis, J. M., DiSogra, C., Subias, S., Lawrence, M., Tompson, T.
- The Challenge and Importance of Including Spanish-Dominant Latinos in an Online Panel; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Wells, T., Torres, J.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Comparison Study of Early Adopter Attitudes and Online Behavior in Probability and Non-Probability Web...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Osborn, L., Semans, K.
- Description of Within-Panel Survey Sampling Methodology: The Knowledge Networks Approach; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Summary of KnowledgePanel® Design; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- A comparison of results from an alcohol survey of a prerecruited Internet panel and the National Epidemiologic...; 2008; Heeren, T., Edwards, E., Dennis, J. M., Rodkin, S., Hingson, R. W., Rosenbloom D. L.
- Mode Effects on In-Person and Internet Surveys: A Comparison of the General Social Survey and Knowledge...; 2008; Smith, T. W., Dennis, J. M.
- Key Issues in Research Accuracy: Sources of bias and error in online research; 2008; Dennis, J. M., Callegaro, M.
- Making Quality Real: Delivering on a Promise of the Best Service and Online Survey Sample ; 2008; Dennis, J. M.
- More honest answers to surveys? A Study of data collection mode effects; 2007; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J.
- Internet vs. Telephone; Examining Mode Effects in Alcohol Research; 2007; Rodkin, S., Heeren, T., Edwards, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Face-to-Face Recruitment of an Internet Survey Panel: Lessons from an NSF-Sponsored Demonstration Protect...; 2007; O'Muircheartaigh, C., Krosnick, J. A., Dennis, J. M.
- Results of a Within-Panel Web Survey Experiment of Mode Effects: Using the General Social Survey's National...; 2007; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in a Panel Study: Telephone versus Internet...; 2005; Dennis, J. M., Chatt, C.Li, R. J.; de Rouvray, C.Pulliam, P.; de Rouvray, C.
- Benchmarking Knowledge Networks’ Web-enabled panel survey of selected GSS questions against GSS...; 2004; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Chatt, C.
- Methodology for Probability-Based Recruitment for a Web-Enabled Panel; 2004; Pineau, V., Dennis, J. M.
- The Effects of Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit...; 2004; Cameron, T. A., de Shazo, J. R., Dennis, J. M., Lee, R. J.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in an Internet Panel Survey; 2004; Dennis, J. M., Chatt, C.
- An Overview of Capabilities and Methodological Research Conducted by the Government and Academic Area...; 2004; Dennis, J. M.
- Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit Dialing Sampling...; 2003; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., de Shazo, J. R., Cameron, T. A.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in a Panel Survey: Telephone versus Internet...; 2003; Chatt, C., Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Motta-Stanko A., Pulliam, P.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Using the Multimedia Capabilities of Web-Enabled Probability-Based Survey Methodology to Gather Vaccination...; 2002; McCready, W. C., Dennis, J. M., Thalji, L.
- Probability-Based Survey Research on the Internet; 2001; Krotki, K., Dennis, J. M.
- Response Timing and Coverage of Non-Internet Households in an Internet-Enabled Panel; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Are Internet Panels Creating Professional Respondents? A Study of Panel Effects.; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Questionnaire design for probability-based Web surveys; 2000; Dennis, J. M., de Rouvray, C., Couper, M. P.