Web Survey Bibliography
Title What users want in e-commerce design: effects of age, education and income
Author Lightner, N. J.
Source Ergonomics, 46, 1-3, pp.153-168
Access date 08.06.2004
Abstract Preferences for certain characteristics of an online shopping experience may be related to demographic data. This paper discusses the characteristics of that experience, demographic data and preferences by demographic group. The results of an online survey of 488 individuals in the United States indicate that respondents are generally satisfied with their online shopping experiences, with security, information quality and information quantity ranking first in importance overall. The sensory impact of a site ranked last overall of the seven characteristics measured. Preferences for these characteristics in e-commerce sites were differentiated by age, education and income. The sensory impact of sites became less important as respondents increased in age, income or education. As the income of respondents increased, the importance of the reputation of the vendor rose. Web site designers may incorporate these findings into the design of e-commerce sites in an attempt to increase the shopping satisfaction of their users. Results from the customer relationship management portion of the survey suggest that current push technologies and site personalization are not an effective means of achieving user satisfaction.
Access/Direct link EBSCOhost (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2003
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (403)
- Innovation in Online Research - Who Needs Online Panels?; 2003; Comley, P.
- If the Internet is so clever, why aren't we all rich!; 2003; Poynter, R.
- Comparison two modes of data collection: WWW and mail; 2003; Getka-Wilczynska, E.
- Interpreting Web vs paper mode choice using supplementary data; 2003; Himmelmann, M., Romano, M. F.
- Methodological aspects of comparisons between Web & paper surveys; 2003; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- What is the Future for Telephone Surveys?; 2003; Collins, M., Sykes, W.
- From PAPI to CAPI: consequences for data quality on the British Household Panel Study; 2003; Laurie, H.
- Comparing On-Line and On-Paper Responses to an Employee Satisfaction Survey; 2003; Stone, G.E.
- Internet Research Methods: A Practical Guide for the Social and Behavioural Sciences; 2003; Hewson, C. M., Yule, P., Laent, D., Vogel, C. M.
- Internet Users' Prior Psychological and Social Difficulties; 2003; Modayil, M. V., Thompson, A. H., Varnhagen, S., Wilson, D.
- Express: A Web-based technology to support human and computational experimentation; 2003; Yule, P., Cooper, R.P.
- The Use of the Internet in Psychological Research: Comparison of Online and Offline Questionnaires; 2003; Riva, R., Teruzzi, T., Anolli, L.
- A Modified Version of the CAGE as an Indicator of Alcohol Abuse and Its Consequences Among Undergraduate...; 2003; Boyd, C. J., McCabe, S. E., d'Arcy, H.
- The Tri-Council Policy Statement and Research in Cyberspace: Research Ethics, the Internet, and Revising...; 2003; Kitchin, H. A.
- Building a custom client-side research tool for online Web-based experiments; 2003; Westin, S.
- Using the Internet for Customer Behaviour Research: A Guide to the Challenges and Opportunities of the...; 2003; Banister, E. N.
- Conducting research using web-based questionnaires: practical, methodological, and ethical considerations...; 2003; Fox, J., Murray, C., Warm, A.
- Web-STAR: A survey tool for analyzing user requirements for web sites; 2003; Lazar, J., Jones, A., Greenidge, K.
- First installation of a virtual CATI phone room with full telephony integration; 2003; Tanguay, L.
- CRM in Action: Boosting Satisfaction Survey Responses; 2003; Compton, J.
- Customer feedback key for theme park; 2003; Chen, A.
- Wheels Moves Fast On Survey Results; 2003; Dunn, D.
- Diabetes group selects web survey technology; 2003; Anonymous
- Get Web Feedback with Inquisite; 2003; King, N.
- Survey tools take employees' pulse instantly; 2003; Gunsauley, C.
- Real time and recall measures of mobile phone use: some methodological concerns and empirical applications...; 2003; Cohen, A. A., Lemish, D.
- Ethnographic research on the experience of Japanese elderly people online; 2003; Kanayama, T.
- Subject acquisition for Web-based surveys; 2003; Alvarez, M. R., Sherman, R., VanBeselaere, C.
- An Evaluation of the Semiautomatic Login Procedure to Control Web Survey Access; 2003; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- A boost or bust for democracy? How the Web influenced political attitudes and behaviors in the 1996...; 2003; Johnson, T. J., Kaye, B. K.
- Nielsen launches WebIntercept; 2003; Maddox, K.
- A framework and methodology for evaluating e-commerce Web sites; 2003; van der Merwe, R., Bekker, J.
- Several issues affect e-research validity; 2003; Ray, N. M., Tabor, S. W.
- Web site design benchmarking within industry groups; 2003; Kim, S. -E., Shaw, T., Schneider, H.
- Internet Research: An Opportunity to Revisit Classic Ethical Problems in Behavioral Research; 2003; Pittenger, D. J.
- Rants, Ratings and Representation: ethical issues in researching online social practices; 2003; Knobel, M.
- Incentives with a Byte; 2003; Hatch, S.
- Qualitative research; 2003; Arnold, C.
- Before Using a Web Site as a Source Click Here; 2003; Jaderstrom, S., Miller, J.
- Examination of brand knowledge, perceived risk and consumers' intention to adopt an online retailer; 2003; Chen, R., He, F.
- Contact management and customer loyalty; 2003; Jones, H., Farguhar, J. D.
- Qualitative, quantitative methods combine for best online research; 2003; Kim, S.
- Encountering distressing information in online research: a consideration of legal and ethical responsibilities...; 2003; Stern, S. R.
- From here to obscurity?: Media substitution theory and traditional media in an on-line world; 2003; Kaye, B. K., Johnson, T. J.
- An On-Line Survey of Food and Beverage Consumers on the Internet: An Evaluation of the Survey Methodology...; 2003; White G. K.
- Using the Internet to conduct surveys of health professionals: a valid alternative?; 2003; Braithwaite, D., Emery, J., de Lusignan, S., Sutton, S.
- Incentives to Increase Participation in an Internet Survey of Alcohol Use: A Controlled Experiment; 2003; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J.
- Casting the net: using the internet for survey research; 2003; Stewart, S.
- Surveying the Service Sector: A Pilot Study of the Effectiveness of Mail vs. Internet Approaches; 2003; McConkey, C. W., Stevens, R. E., Loudon, D. L.
- Do-It-Yourself Internet Surveys; 2003; Deal, K.